Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Coolers on newer dynas - discussion

Old 08-18-2008, 08:32 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Oil Coolers on newer dynas - discussion

I was doing my usual cover to cover read of the latest AIM and came across Donny Peterson's tech article on oil coolers. Wow, scary stuff, to me. I've seen the potential virtue of oil coolers and/or synthetic oil discussed here from time to time but never have I seen someone so adamant that they are not only options, they are a must, expecially with the bigger motors. Donny seems to be a very knowledgable guy whose opinions are very well respected so I'm not taking the information lightly. There's even 1 section in the article where it is suggested that, even though oil cooling is extremely necessary on the TC96 motors, HD is/was hesitant to install them stock or publish a recommendation to add them because of the impression it might make on the owners. If you read this article and take it to heart, I wonder what kind of impression it is going to make on us down the road when these things start deteriorating prematurely because of the heat related issues?

So, that leads to my question. How many of you have added oil coolers, what kind did you get, how much does it cost, and what is the installation effort?

Not only does this article heavily recommend running an oil cooler AND synthetic oil, he says you really need twin coolers to be most effective.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:20 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

there is a guy that i met at a builder convention this year that makes his own set ups. they have a thermostat in them so it only clicks on when yo need it, they come in any color you can imagine, for $75, and 45 for the filter adapter... very cool set up. the guys that where around his booth had great things to say about it... i got his card somewhere... i did not have the extra $ to get one at the time... planning on it this winter though... I do not get all that hot out here in chicago, however... i want one!
*good info by the way!

Old 08-18-2008, 09:26 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

Joe, any info on how they install? Is there an attachment that goes between the oil filter and the motor that has an intake and output that feeds in and out of the cooler? Just trying to figure out how hard these things are to install.

This guys article basically says it's not a question as to if/when you need an oil cooler. In fact, in his opinion, there is no question period. Regardless of what kind of heat you ride in. Sounds to me like he is saying that the motors today can generate enough heat on their own, expecially in the rear cylinder, to cause detonation problems and engine wear.

Most of his articles are WAY over my head but this one hits home the way I read it.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:03 AM
Mad Mike
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Side note but perhaps warning of things to come!

I've got 30,000+ kilometers on a 2007 FLHR operating mostly in relatively cool Western European temperatures however have literally melted the digital readout display on 2 Harley dipsticks and notice they aren't offering them anymore for 2008+ models. I've also completely discolored my Screamin' Eagle slip-ons due to the extra heat. I'm using Harley wind deflectors to channel extra air to the rear cylinder just to keep from cooking my nuts. Makes me wonder what those dudes in Arizona and Nevada, etc. are doing! I've just traded the thing in for a new Fat Bob and will certainly go for the oil cooler - it does **** me off though that the boys at HD don't just go ahead and install it standard - probably it's anything for a few extra bucks but my guess is they're praying the engine will outlast the waranty before melting!

Old 08-18-2008, 10:34 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mad Mike
it does **** me off though that the boys at HD don't just go ahead and install it standard - probably it's anything for a few extra bucks but my guess is they're praying the engine will outlast the waranty before melting!
It may be more than just money. To quote the article: "Back in 1999, I even heard an HD engineer (who wishes to remain anonymous for obvious reasons) say that he thought the factory did not recommend oil coolers for the new Twin Cams because the powers-that-be felt that the HD rider would interpret their inclusion as an indication that there was something wrong with the new engine."

If you've ever read Donny's articles, you know that this guy knows his stuff. Some of the stuff he writes sound like something Einstein would have come up with. Hurts my head to read most of it. With that said, though, his quote was from a guy back in 1999 and I haven't heard anything about mass engine meltdowns since that point, so who knows.

Oil coolers aren't the most attractive mod one can add to a bike. But, if it will make my engine last longer, it's one ugly add-on I may make.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:25 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

they have adapters that fit on the oil filter, when the thermostat gets hot it clicks it on, and allows the oil to filter though the cooler... when it is not hot it is not on... great product!

Old 08-18-2008, 11:27 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

I recently installed an oil cooler, went with the Jaggs thermostatic adapter, a very easy install, and chrome oil cooler mounted to the front of the frame. Seems like as soon as I installed it the weather cooled a bit here, but I do seem to feel a difference when stuck in traffic which is when it is the worst.
Will try to post a couple pics in my gallery tonight.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:35 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by RSA05FXDWGI
I recently installed an oil cooler, went with the Jaggs thermostatic adapter, a very easy install

Jaggs and HD (made by someone else of course) are the 2 this guy recommends. I'd like to see a pic if you can. Also, about how much money for one, complete?

Old 08-18-2008, 11:39 AM
new_mentor70
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lately Donnie has been in bed with Bob Wood and is promoting his cams and his phiosphy on oil coolers as well.

Woods has a oil cooler kit for around 800$ list that is basily a Jagg set up with 2, 10 row coolers in tandem with a thermostate. Woods states its for High compression big inch "night prowler" engines.

I have not had my HQ 95 in engine ever get much passed 200 deg. ever, and Doug @ HQ never put much effort on the tech site to run out and get one.

With ported heads, good tuning and good oil nobody seems to have issues with them, so im confused as well. Woods states oil can get at or around 250* or more but my bike has nerver been that hot, so I would say find out what your temps are and buy one if you need one.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:12 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I've wondered for years why H-D doesn't install them from the factory. My 1980 Low Rider came with one. It's just unbelievable that they don't do that any more.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Coolers on newer dynas - discussion