Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Safe are Highway Pegs

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 04:17 PM
wiscdyna
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Safe are Highway Pegs

Another thread got me wondering about this again. The pegs on my Street Bob are in the stock position, although I've changed them to something more comfortable. I've also thought about adding highway pegs (can't afford forwards right now). When your feet are on highway pegs, do you feel like you can move em quick enough to brake?

Old 10-03-2008, 04:20 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wiscdyna
Another thread got me wondering about this again. The pegs on my Street Bob are in the stock position, although I've changed them to something more comfortable. I've also thought about adding highway pegs (can't afford forwards right now). When your feet are on highway pegs, do you feel like you can move em quick enough to brake?
Yes, it does take a little longer to get your foot back to the brake position, but you have your front brakes which do the majority of braking anyway.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:52 PM
dbcoooper
Cruiser

Wiscdyna - i just added hd highway pegs and it does take a little longer to reposition your braking foot, but not much longer. Keep in mind you won't be using them in stop an go traffic so on the open road you have so much better vision that you can anticipate a little better.

put them on you won't regret it!

just my 2c's
db

Old 10-03-2008, 05:02 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes ... no problem at all, It's very easy to react quickly to the brake. It would never be as quick as if your foot was on your regular peg or floor board because of the distance away (only a difference of a few inches) ... but, you can still react very quickly.

The highway pegs aren't the problem ... Staying alert and ready for an emergency braking maneuver is the secret. They hwy pegs are normally only used on hwy driving ...not around town in a lot of traffic where it's stop and go. On the hwy, you are still (or at least should be) ready for anything ... Typically you can scan enough to forsee any upcoming reasons for braking in a panic.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:14 PM
compgeek789
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had mid-controls and highway pegs for over 15,000 miles. There's a difference in response time, sure. But I've never felt unsafe. I'll even go so far to bet that you'll start shifting and braking with your heels. It only took me a few miles before I was really comfortable using my heels to shift (and brake only occasionally).

But just to be clear: I use my heels only when on the highway. Like when downshifting to pass a semi or something. Whenever I'm in stop-and-go or city riding, my feet are on the mids.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:36 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I ride on my Highway pegs about 90% of the time and use my heels to shift and brake. Once you get used to using them I dont feel any difference in reaction time.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Nickpisp
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bberck
I ride on my Highway pegs about 90% of the time and use my heels to shift and brake. Once you get used to using them I dont feel any difference in reaction time.
Yup, since I got used to it I stay on the hwy pegs most of the time.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:05 PM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I can shift and brake while on highway pegs. In city driving I stick to the mids but its so much more comfortable with the highway pegs maybe I should go to forwards but I like having the option.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Purple Hays
6th Gear

I like the pegs w/ the mids. Being able to shift around is preferable to just forwards to me.

Old 10-04-2008, 03:40 AM
mo-fo-joe
Road Captain

I put highway pegs on my superglide, and love them ! You get use to them very quickly and braking quickly is no problem at all.It becomes automatic to where you do not even think about it.I prefer to keep my controls mids, years of dirt and enduro type riding and racing just kinda makes me feel much more in control when things get ugly in a hurry. My feet come back to the mids instantly without any thought and i prefer my feet being down under me for better control when need be. It all becomes 2nd nature to you very fast.