Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

saddlebag exhaust clearance

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 12:48 PM
violentstreak
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default saddlebag exhaust clearance

I have HD rigid locking saddlebags and was wondering if anyone had any clearance issues with an longer or fatter 2 into 1 pipes?

My bike isn't lowed or anyting but it looks like my bags sit right about an inch over my swingarm and some 2 into 1 pipes look to mount right around there in pictures.

anyway, just wondering...

Old 05-31-2012, 02:21 PM
xantasm
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put police bags (same style as rigid touring bags) on my Fat Bob and went to a V&H Pro Pipe and now I have more room under then right side bag then I did with the slash cut stock mufflers.

Attached Thumbnails saddlebag exhaust clearance-img_1955.jpg   saddlebag exhaust clearance-img_1952.jpg  
Old 05-31-2012, 02:33 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

My sig pic should show police bags running above the stock header with the 3.25" Rinehart mufflers (bigger diameter than stock I think?). No clearance issues. The bags move up and down with the pipe.......

Old 05-31-2012, 04:24 PM
violentstreak
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trip20
My sig pic should show police bags running above the stock header with the 3.25" Rinehart mufflers (bigger diameter than stock I think?). No clearance issues. The bags move up and down with the pipe.......
oh...wow, i probably should have realized that...
Thanks for the input

Old 05-31-2012, 04:35 PM
xantasm
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by violentstreak
oh...wow, i probably should have realized that...
Thanks for the input
The bracket for the rear exhaust is mounted to the drive train not the swingarm so yes the exhaust stays relative to the position of the bags because neither move with the rear wheel swingarm setup.

My concern when mounting mine was if your bags are mounted too close to the frame you might have the rear axle nuts on the swing arms under a hard compression hit the bags. I tried mounting mine flush to the frame for a close in clean look as well as using detachable edge brackets which set the bags about 3" away from the frame leaving just enough room for mounting the rear bullets without bolt spacers. With flush mounting the possibility of up travel on the swing arm made me a little concerned because the axle nuts stick out from the swing arm just enough that if they ever came up enough under compression to reach the height of the bottom of the bags they would hit. Granted you'd have to hit hella hard and have a good amount of weight on the back of the bike for that to be the case and compress the wheel completely up into the fender but if it did happen I don't want the swingarm hitting the bottom of the bags or anything else for that matter. Call me paranoid but I'd rather not have that as a possibility.