Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody replace there in tank fuel line?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 01:50 PM
nazareth27
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im in the middle of a tank swap and am going to go with the gates submersible now as well, I have found a leak. On mine, I dont know if it was a plug or what, but I took my cover off and ran the pump and idle (kinda dangerous yes but only way to find out), and at the end where the pump plugged in to the regulator gas would spray out when the pump was priming, and gushing out when idling. There werent any problems before the tank swap...but im sure I compromised my lines obviously.

The info on the lines is great. 40 bucks for 2 rather than 55 for one that might fail down the road.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:10 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Since you have had the fix in for a while now, how is it holding up? Any problems?

The following users liked this post:
Toplink (09-05-2022)
Old 02-07-2010, 05:34 AM
bobu
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know these threads are old, but I had the same problem as the others. I took my softail in for a dyno test and retune after I put some new pipes on it. The tune up place could not get the fuel mixture rich enough and I got fed up with them trying to tune the bike. I took it to another local guy that tunes and he found the problem right away. The fuel line abraided on the side of the tank, just like the pics above, and put a pin hole in the line. Becuase of the hole, the fule pressure was never as high as it should and the bike was running leaner and leaner and learner. He heard the hiss of the leak in the tank when he turned on the ignition in the quite dyno room. After he changed out the line and put the bike on the dyno it was way too rich(fuel pressure was back) and he tuned it right. In the years around '03 Harley put too long of an internal fuel line and it abraids on the side of the tank. As someone said above, they fixed it in later years.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:38 AM
MLWilson
Tourer

Great tech tip to add to the collection.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:37 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by 8541hog
Since you have had the fix in for a while now, how is it holding up? Any problems?
It's been a little over a year and I haven't had any problems with the new fuel lines. They are shorter and a little more rigid then the originals, so they won't be vibrating or rubbing on the inside of the fuel tank.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:58 PM
dezracer
Stage I
Default Help please.

I have an 2007 Ultra w/ the exact same symptoms but....
I removed the unit and I don't see any holes in either hose.
I blew on the petcock (easy now) and it doesn't seems to leak. I haven't disconnected the hose to pump yet. I looked w/ a magnifying glass and a flashlight.
Now what? Help please.

Last edited by dezracer; 02-19-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:59 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Great thread ws6 formula. I think I am having an issue with my internal fuel lines also. I am getting a stumble at freeway speeds when I let off the throttle and when I turn my ignition on the fuel pump is really loud so I just ordered the fuel line and thanks for posting the Napa part #. If that doesnt fix it I'll be posting this for more suggestions.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:28 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Fuel Hose Clamps

I have a solid lock on the fuel hose but would still like more info on the clamps. Where did you purchase the clamps and do they take a special installation tool ? Screw clamps do back off and will cut through the hose after a period of time.
Thanks for the info.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:07 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by dyna rider
I have a solid lock on the fuel hose but would still like more info on the clamps. Where did you purchase the clamps and do they take a special installation tool ? Screw clamps do back off and will cut through the hose after a period of time.
Thanks for the info.
I got mine from a local auto parts store, there the spring loaded type. You probably can use the same ones that Harley Davidson uses on the hose that goes from the fuel tank to the injectors on the fuel injection bikes.
You use a regular pair of pliers to install them, and on the fuel line that you have to feed through the tank to install, you will have to cut off the little tabs on the hose clamp to be able to get it through the tank hole.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:49 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Clamps

Thanks man...I'll keep an eye open for them. We have a big NAPA warehouse and parts store down the road a few miles. I haven't gone in there yet that they haven't ended my hunt.

Quick Reply: Anybody replace there in tank fuel line?