Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody do flames on their tank themselves?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 11:42 AM
pennetta
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody do flames on their tank themselves?

I want to remove the HD stick-on emblems and do flat Silver Denim flames over my Black Denim tank. I want an Old School look which is the only reason I would consider doing it myself. I saw simple flames on an Exile Cycle that I liked. I bought a book from J&P on flames and you can roll on the paint or spray the paint. Seems like you tape, scotchbrite, paint, flat clearcoat, then pinstripe (I will have a pro do this).
I was going to use all Harley OEM Paint. Anything special since I'm starting with Black Denim? Anybody do rattle can, its a small area so it seems feasible?

Attached Thumbnails Anybody do flames on their tank themselves?-p6210387.jpg  
Old 01-04-2009, 12:45 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

you get what is called a scuff pad... stripe, then mask and cut on the middle of the pinstrips *you can buy pre done stencils of flames to make this ALOT easier on yourself
then you shoot, if you are shooting white i would recomend doing a hot rod flatz white kit.... cheap and looks insane... my main worry with the rattle can over the stock paint is that it would fish eye, orange peel, and then later chip... simple as that

Old 01-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Pepsimayn
Tourer

To each their own but I would never rattle can a 14,000$ bike.

Do you have any friends with a compressor? You can buy a pretty reasonable Devilbiss finishline gun for a couple hundred bucks.

Also, maybe look into renting a booth in your area?

Also, you could do the masking and prep and pay someone to shoot it....

Good luck!

Old 01-04-2009, 03:19 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

good ideas but i would never shoot anything that anyone else but myself prepped and no smart painters would!

Old 01-04-2009, 03:55 PM
Topspin
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Takes GIANT cajones to paint your own bike... especially if you are not a painter.

JMHO

Old 01-04-2009, 05:33 PM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got a set of custom painted tins with flames for $900. The guy who did the will do two fenders and a tank in two colors for $750 if you send him your sheetmetal. I'm guessing he would do a tank between $400 - 450. The work he did is flawless. As much as I would love to do the work and learn a little, getting it done professionally was well worth the money.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:43 PM
Grind
Road Master

Originally Posted by Topspin
Takes GIANT cajones to paint your own bike...
I've painted stuff on all three Vespas we've had, plus one for the dealer. The only pics I have though, are the scoot I did for the dealer.

Soon, I'll do something to my FXD. I've been tossing around doing the whole bike red, but lately, I've been leaning towards fading some silver and/or metallic white flames onto the Pewter Pearl.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:03 PM
Tele00
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to give it a go in a week or so .I have a 2008 Black FXDC, but instead of spraying my stock fenders and tank ,I picked up a silver tank with a small dent and a take off pair of fenders ,all off 07 and 08 FXDCs from ebay . 185.00 for the tank and 45 each for the fenders. That way If I ever want to go back to stock .I'll have them . I own a decent size bodyshop ,and have also painted a bunch of bikes over the years, but flames are new to me ...I'll post photos as I do it ...

Old 01-04-2009, 06:04 PM
dpriest
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I rattle canned the whole bike. I did the clear with a compressor though. Color is just a green primer. I really like it. Once I've finished mockin everything up, I'll shoot it with a hot rod flatz green in the same color. As far as doin flames, its not really that hard. Prep,prep,prep. Use fine line tape and lay the paint on in light coats. You can always add more to go from a ghost to a full opaque. Then shoot a low gloss clear, again a little at a time. You should find a good pinstripper though.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:05 PM
pennetta
Tourer

I'm not trying to save money and I have a friend that has a body shop, but I would take great pride in doing it myself. I did my verticle side license plate holder. Started with a flat sheet of metal, started banging, bending and drilling. Sent it to powercoat and I absolutley love it.

Quick Reply: Anybody do flames on their tank themselves?