Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with cable selection (14" Gimps)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 10:50 PM
Pepsimayn
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with cable selection (14" Gimps)

I have been searching around and finding much different info on this. Rounder said I may be able to get away with the stock cables, but my sh*t luck and Murphy's Law suggest to me otherwise. I have ordered the bars and would like to have cables that I know will be long enough, but not too long, waiting for when I return. I can't afford for the bike to be down for days in the process.

I was hoping someone who has these bars or knows the answer could chime in. I'm assuming going with a +2" will do it, but have found some contradictory info on stock lengths.

Magnum Shielding has stock as:

Clutch: 69 11/16"
Throttle: 32 1/2"
Idle: 31 3/4
Brake: 46"

Dragspecialties has these sizes for +2ish:

Throttle LENGTH: 34 3/4”, ELBOW: 90°, TRAVEL: 5” $21.95
Idle LENGTH: 34 3/4”, ELBOW: 90°, TRAVEL: 4 3/4” $21.95

Clutch cable looks like I'll need a 71 11/16, but they only have listed 70 and 72" respectively. Should I go bigger just to be safe?

No idea what I need for a plain black brake line...

My decreasing blood pressure thanks you!

Old 01-15-2009, 11:18 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Don't know if it helps, but I had to do +2 over stock to install street bob mini apes on my FXDC. The mini apes I think are 10.5" or 11" rise, and about 32" end to end.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:48 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

for the 16" ones I had these sizes worked.... your stock length throttle, 72" clutch and a goodrich 44" brake line. Also got a 8" namz wire extention kit. You may like +2 on the throttle better. I like my cables behind the trees and the brake cable to not have as excessive of a loop by the wheel as stock. If you go a little long at least you will know it will fit. Too short and ,well, you know. The stock brake line length is a touch misleading as it has the hard line portions.

Last edited by rounder; 01-15-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:38 AM
Pepsimayn
Tourer

Originally Posted by rounder
for the 16" ones I had these sizes worked.... your stock length throttle, 72" clutch and a goodrich 44" brake line. Also got a 8" namz wire extention kit. You may like +2 on the throttle better. I like my cables behind the trees and the brake cable to not have as excessive of a loop by the wheel as stock. If you go a little long at least you will know it will fit. Too short and ,well, you know. The stock brake line length is a touch misleading as it has the hard line portions.
This totally confused me. Were you talking about your sizes or what I'll need? I think they'll be close enough, my biggest concern is finding the correct brake line....

Thanks!

Old 01-16-2009, 04:04 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a chart from Harley to give the stock lengths on your cables.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/pna/p...bmLocale=en_US

Old 01-16-2009, 07:53 AM
MLWilson
Tourer

+ 2 from stock will work for you. The brake line I ordered was from Dennis Kirk part number 19-02278----48". I know now I could go with a 46" line. FYI for reference, my new bars are 14 high and 34 wide.

Last edited by MLWilson; 01-16-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:34 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pepsimayn
This totally confused me. Were you talking about your sizes or what I'll need? I think they'll be close enough, my biggest concern is finding the correct brake line....

Thanks!
these are what worked on my bike.
brake line will work with stock length, you may want a new one simply to get away from the hard lines on the stock line... 46" will be enough.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:51 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

couple pic of how my brake line looks. I have it tighter to the bike so my length is less than others have been giving you. Also much less loop by the wheel than others and stock. Yeah I don't have gimps anymore. When I did I ran the brake line the same way(never used the gimps just mounted them up to see them). So with the 16" gimps I needed 44".

Attached Thumbnails Help with cable selection (14" Gimps)-get-attachment-4.aspx.jpg   Help with cable selection (14" Gimps)-get-attachment-5.aspx.jpg  

Last edited by rounder; 01-16-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:02 AM
Stanger
Road Master

Pepsi,

When I did my 16" apes, I knew that the stock Street Bob sizes are given to accomidate 10.5" mini apes, so I looked for +6 on cables. Basically this means 6" longer. To verify this, I called JPCycle, talked to tech and mostly I was correct. I can not say enough about them there at JPCycle. They took the time to search out the stock sizes, add 6" to that and then checked to make sure the +6 cables would work. Then for brake and clutch cables, we just made sure that the sizes I bought were 6" longer. Worked great. Just an idea.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:57 AM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just put the bars on and measure the distance from the old cable ends to the controlls and remember you only measure the caseing lenght.........as far as the break line just measure the old one and add the extra lenght you will need and put a braided line on and new ends,it not that hard...

Quick Reply: Help with cable selection (14" Gimps)