Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Internal wiring ape hangers

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 07:55 PM
A-10 KChawg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Internal wiring ape hangers

Does anyone remember the thread posted about dis-assembling hand control wiring plugs for internal wire routing. Had pics and step by step instructions. I can't find it in a search. I'm re-building after the winter mods and adding a Roland Sands bar. I don't know how to pull the wires from the plugs. HELP!!!!

Old 01-27-2009, 08:06 PM
icecaps
Reading More Posting Less
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 01-27-2009, 09:15 PM
Grind
Road Master

I'm just finishing up running internal wires. If you have a newer bike, '07 or later, I think, you'll probably have Molex connectors. I found this post to be helpful, with some alternate steps. In the first picture, he shows pulling the lock plate. For the life of me, I couldn't get it to budge. Instead, from the back, pull the small black (hard) plastic plug out of the connector, followed by fishing out the orange (very soft) silicone seal. From there, you'll see two whitish tabs in the side edges of the plug. Push them with small screwdriver.
Molex plug
I'll take some pics of the black plug and orange seal and post them (if I can figure out hoe to do it on Wife's Mac - I'm a PC guy).

Last edited by Grind; 01-27-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:34 PM
Double00Aught
Road Master

I fished my wires a month or so ago. It was a case of beer and 3am before we finished. Loooks good now, but I cussed the project all night long.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:52 PM
compgeek789
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year and model Dyna? Plugs are different styles for specific years....Lots of people around here can help with either style. I just finished wiring my apes internally about 2 weeks ago (07 street bob). All Molex connectors on mine. The Molex are super easy to take apart, once you see how they work.

Mud has a great post with close-up pics (07 and newer Molex style) and here for the '06 and older Deutsch style connectors.

Last edited by compgeek789; 01-27-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:28 AM
Goddahavit
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know its blasphemy, but i found it easier to just cut the wires and solder them.

(found out after taking a side apart, bending/breaking pins trying to get them out of the bars...etc.)

so in the end i got to take apart the connectors, crimp pins, and solder wires/ then cut the wires, and solder in extensions.. well, i have a plan for the next change anyway..

my suggestion, if you get frustrated, just walk away for a bit, and come back to it. no prizes for quickness, just one for a job well done..

Eric

Old 01-28-2009, 06:45 AM
XKROME
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

just a suggestion, if you put the year and model of your bike in your sig it will be easier for people to offer advice and/or guide you to a link

Old 01-28-2009, 08:24 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a pic of the Deutsch connectors on the 06-07 Dynas. As you carefully pry the rubber seals from the connector, you can tell how to separate the housing components. You can look inside the housing and see the locking mechanism which retains the terminals. Sliding a small pick into the terminal hollow and then pushing the terminal to the side will release it. Slides right out.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:38 PM
A-10 KChawg
Tourer

Thanks alot guys! Should be no problem now!

MTBLOOD: It's funny you talk of late nights with beer. A buddy and I already have a gameplan of smoking ribs, drinkin beer, and wiring some apes this weekend. It's suppose to be 56 degrees here in Missouri this weekend.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:12 PM
skip3406
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 2 Posts

I could have used the molex plug information last week. I went by the pictures in the service manual and wound up taking the plug apart like the Deutsch plug. it work out ok but it took for ever.

Quick Reply: Internal wiring ape hangers