Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H.D. 10 Row Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 06:13 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 161 Posts
Thumbs up H.D. 10 Row Oil Cooler

I got a good deal on a new discontinued Harley Davidson 10 row oil cooler on eBay, local seller listed it as a relocation kit so nobody else bid on it. Went down and picked it up, then installed it. I just need to clean up the wiring to the voltage regulator. ("Detail's" below)

Below you can see where I shimmed the motor mount (gold washers) Originally the motor mount was preloaded from the factory. Many have had the motor mounts fail, most likely from being preloaded, it was loaded in such a way that the mount was being pulled apart. I did this when I first bought the bike, found the preload when I removed the California only vapor cannister (this is the original mount with 17,000 miles).

Next two photos below are of the same oil cooler installed on someone else's bike with the clutch cable in the original position (cable is pushing on the oil lines).

Below, I had to move the clutch cable to the outside of the frames cross brace to clear the oil lines, it was on the inside before like the two above photos. Removed the original bulky clamp and used a tie wrap, tie wrapped the cable then inserted the pig tail of the tie wrap through the hole in the cross brace and used another tie wrap head to secure it on the inside of the frame brace.

Removed the original clutch cable supports and used some tie wraps and fuel line to space the clutch cable away from the frame. Mainly did this for appearance and easy access for clutch adjustment, clutch line is now parallel to the frame, rubber boot is no longer crushed against the frame, and you don't have to remove clamps to adjust clutch cable.

Last edited by WS6 Formula; 08-03-2010 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Replaced missing photo
Old 02-07-2009, 06:21 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Score! Nice find, and nice deal too. Good install..... with pics no less

Old 02-07-2009, 07:12 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed the exact same cooler last weekend. I've had it around for a while and just got the ambition to install it. I did the same thing and shimed my motor mount too. Great minds think alike

Old 02-07-2009, 07:29 PM
bax467
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for sharing, that is some great info. That will be one of my projects in the near future for sure. In reference to the motor mount, how can one check to see if it is preloaded? I have heard of the failures but never an explanation as to why or how to prevent it.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:38 PM
dynasty
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice install and great pics. on my list

Old 02-07-2009, 09:49 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by thedonthere
I just installed the exact same cooler last weekend. I've had it around for a while and just got the ambition to install it. I did the same thing and shimed my motor mount too. Great minds think alike
Actually did this two weekends ago, didn't think of posting until I saw another installation were the hose's were rubbing on the clutch cable. I figured I would show some install tips because there's a lot of road grime that sticks down there and becomes like sand paper, with the engine rocking and the oil cooler fixed, eventually the hose will wear through.

Originally Posted by bax467
Thank you for sharing, that is some great info. That will be one of my projects in the near future for sure. In reference to the motor mount, how can one check to see if it is preloaded? I have heard of the failures but never an explanation as to why or how to prevent it.
Just loosen the two bolts that go through the frame, jack the motor up until you can turn those two bolts by hand with no resistance, measure the gap and shim with washers.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:09 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member

DYNA OIL COOLER KIT P/N 26110-05
Retail: $289.95
Chicago Harley: $231.96
eBay: $150.00

DYNA CHROME OIL COOLER COVER for above: P/N 63040-05

Old 02-07-2009, 10:32 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I wanna know what he wants to know!!

Old 02-07-2009, 11:16 PM
NewHarleyGear
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Me too.....

Old 02-07-2009, 11:24 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by JaronB
I wanna know what he wants to know!!
Originally Posted by NewHarleyGear
Me too.....
You two might want to read post #6 , if you really want to know.

Quick Reply: H.D. 10 Row Oil Cooler