Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rider, Questions about dyna and future purchase

Old 02-15-2009, 03:34 PM
stic2it
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New rider, Questions about dyna and future purchase

As stated I am a new rider, I am 26 year old male and this will be my first bike. I previously rode a 2004 sportster 1200 that my dad owned. I am interested and will most likey purchase a 2009 dyna lowrider but I have a few questions. I am 6'3, will the lowrider feel uncomfortable? I wish to put on forward controls, will this be okay with a man of my size. I want to make the right purchase and not be uninformed....I sat on the bike many times but never rode it...

extra info, the sportster did not have forward controls. I have never rode a bike with forward controls..

Old 02-15-2009, 03:45 PM
SuperFastGlide
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ive got forwards plus 3 inch extensions, im long legged 6'4'' very comfortable

Old 02-15-2009, 04:05 PM
Sumpnut
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm 6 foot with original Harley forwards and fit ok,maybe being 6'3" you might need 2 or 3" extensions on them?Depends on your body type I guess...inside leg measurement.I find the mids a bit cramped thats why I went with forwards...much more comfortable : )

Best I can suggest is you take a ride on a Dyna already kitted out with forwards to really decide..
Regards from Sweden

Old 02-15-2009, 04:06 PM
Gunfighter13
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m 6’1” and forward controls are the best, most comfortable way to go. I have a 2009 Dyna Low Rider.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:17 PM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am confident you will want forwards.

The Low Rider seat moves you down and forward, not what you would think a tall rider needs for a seat. You will probably look at different seat options after you buy. Different seats will mean different leg positions. You may want to consider extended forwards, but you probably won't know til you decide of a seat.

Get the bike and do some reading and ask questions on here before you start spending money on items which don't meet your needs. HD dealers will start having open houses here before long. Go to those and other events and sit on other bikes.

You could easily dump a grand on forwards and a seat which may end up in the classifieds.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:24 PM
Lorance66
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stic2it
As stated I am a new rider, I am 26 year old male and this will be my first bike. I previously rode a 2004 sportster 1200 that my dad owned. I am interested and will most likey purchase a 2009 dyna lowrider but I have a few questions. I am 6'3, will the lowrider feel uncomfortable? I wish to put on forward controls, will this be okay with a man of my size. I want to make the right purchase and not be uninformed....I sat on the bike many times but never rode it...

extra info, the sportster did not have forward controls. I have never rode a bike with forward controls..
you may need forward extensions but try it out first as is so you can tell. Also, I think the forward controls will feel awkward at first but not for long. You will like em.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:22 PM
FatBob2009_BlackDenim
Cruiser

I'm 6'2" and have forwards on my Fatbob and it is very comfortable. Take one for a test ride. My dealer let me test ride belore I bought one this way you will know how it feels.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:27 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

A pretty sure bet on the forwards. But I would wait on the extensions till after you picked out the seat you like.

I'm 5'9", and have the stock length forwards.

As mentioned, the forwards will feel strange at first, but you get used to them pretty quick.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:33 PM
Black No.1
Advanced

I have the stock seat and HD forwards on my Street Bob. I'm 5'9", and I feel like I'm stretchin just a little to get to them. It's pretty comfortable. I felt like I was cramped with the mid controls. They stayed on for about 6 miles.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:38 PM
FATBOB67
Road Captain

I had never ridden a bike with forward controls either. In fact, I did not ride the Fat Bob berfore I purchased it. I knew that was what I wanted and I love the the forward controls!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New rider, Questions about dyna and future purchase