Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   lacing my 21 inch... (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/336341-lacing-my-21-inch.html)

jsbridgew 04-10-2009 07:05 AM

lacing my 21 inch...

hey folks,

i got my 3.25 rim and stock 07 WG hub back from powdering... I got my ss spokes and nips from HDWheels.... and I'm about to lace this up, myself

any advice?

i think there's a different lacing pattern i need to use as opposed to the one outlined in the service manual....'venturachop' mentioned a 3/6 pattern in one of his posts- not sure what that means, though

any help would be greatly appreciated before i get rocking on this

thanks, paul

jmpancoast 04-10-2009 07:12 AM

I think most on here who have laced 21" wheels did so to use on a midglide front end using their original hub. For these, they needed to following the section of the manual which outlined the steps to lace a 19" wheel.

Your wide-glide hub is of a different type and requires a different method to lace it than those who laced a 21" loop to the 19" wheel hub. You should follow the steps in the manual offered for the 21" wheel.

jsbridgew 04-10-2009 07:40 AM

eh, something isn't right ..... one side laced up fine, according to the manual.... flipped everything over to do the other side and something's off...hard to explain

damn

Bobber S 04-10-2009 07:59 AM

I got my 3.5 x 21" rim this winter for my street bob. No HD dealer in my area would not even attempt to lace it !

Finally found someone to do it... and got it done . Shop guy said it was the worst job he ever had to do, took him over 3 hours and he had 25 years experience lacing rims.. he said HD spoke pattern is THE most difficult compared to other manufactures.

Hope it works out for you

jmpancoast 04-10-2009 08:10 AM

When I laced mine, I had a hard time taking the info in the manual and applying it to the actual lacing of the wheel. Took me three bad tries before I finally got it on the fourth try.

On the first three tries, I could get spokes 1 - 30 laced and all seemed well till I got to spoke 31. At that point, there was no longer enough room to get the spoke in the appropriate hole in the rim (loop).

Very frustrated at this point, the fourth attempt I try lacing them in the reverse direction of what I was interpreting the manual to read, Finally, everything fell into place. To explain, if I read the manual to tell me to group a section of spokes to the left, I went to the right, and vice versa.

May not apply in your situation, but thought it was worth mentioning.

jsbridgew 04-10-2009 09:08 AM

i got the wheel laced....and the profile is fine.... but there seems to be a pattern where like every 4th and 5th spoke are too long through the drop in the center- as if the rubber strip wouldn't work around the circumference

i'm just gonna take it to a shop

r00k 04-10-2009 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by jsbridgew (Post 4842677)
i'm just gonna take it to a shop

No worries, lacing and truing can be one of the more tricky things to do.

WDR 04-10-2009 10:05 AM

When I was a bicycle mechanic I built my fair share of wheels. It is definitely a skill that gets better with practice. The following link is for bicycle wheel building , but unless there is something I'm not seeing when I look at my SB's wheels, it should give some insight into wheel lacing.
http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

jsbridgew 04-10-2009 10:58 AM

well, i'm gonna leave it the way it is and drop it off to get trued... i'll see what these guys say... it's a Honda dealership, but they've had the same guys there for a few decades working on bikes and I know they lace wheels, regularly.

If they can't square it away, i'll send it out to hdwheels.

what a bitch

JRK5892 04-10-2009 12:05 PM

take it to anywhere that does dirt bikes! super cheap there!