Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   2006 Street Bob Primary Noise (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/341522-2006-street-bob-primary-noise.html)

moonlighter64 04-25-2009 10:42 PM

2006 Street Bob Primary Noise

I have a 2006 StreetBob and just yesterday noticed that when in nuetral with the clutch out I am hearing a noise from the primary case that to me sounds like the primary chain rubbing the case? I plan to remove the outter cover tomorrow ( this is my wifes bike and I can't remember if it has an inspection cover or not) to inspect the chain, clutch etc... I have read about the problems with the inner primary bearing failure, and the stator bolts there have been no problems with the charging system so I don't believe the stator bolt problem is an issue here. Can anyone tell me if the 2006 has a manual primary chain tensioner (which I am hoping for) or is it the hydraulic type? The noise goes away when you put the bike in gear. I believe that there is slack in the chain in neutral and once in gear the tension tightens up?
Any advice?

MarineMike 04-25-2009 10:56 PM

dude,
its the inner primary bearing, just had to replace mine. oh by the way if you take it to the dealer to do, go ahead and replace the stator also, there is a replacement for the 06, cost me $225 and is worth the piece of mind. they have to remove your stator to replace the IPB and then just bolt the new one on. don't let them screw ya on the labor hours either for the "stator replacement". no need.

moonlighter64 04-25-2009 11:04 PM

I hope that is not the case but that is why I was asking the question. This sux. Only 4k miles on it. And no warranty...

moonlighter64 04-25-2009 11:51 PM

Does anyone have a link to the Technical Service Bulletin for the inner primary bearing failure?

moonlighter64 04-26-2009 05:33 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Okay, I came home this morning, removed my primary case. No slop in the chain, no evidence of wear on the inside of the case, no metal shavings to speak of but did find some wear on the clutch (see pictures). Adjusted clutch and have to wait till the parts store opens to get a quart of oil to service the primary. took pictures of what I found. Is this the tell tell signs of inner primary bearing failure? I dont know. I need an opinion.

jmpancoast 04-26-2009 05:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not a service bulletin, but an amendment to the 06 Dyna owners manual.

My dealer replaced mine at no charge when I presented a copy of this letter.

Be aware, there is a follow-up letter which Harley sent out stating the IPB replacement was no longer necessary. My dealer was not familiar either letter. I did not share a copy of the second letter with them.

Attachment 558194

66cruiser 04-26-2009 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by moonlighter64 (Post 4914022)
Okay, I came home this morning, removed my primary case. No slop in the chain, no evidence of wear on the inside of the case, no metal shavings to speak of but did find some wear on the clutch (see pictures). Adjusted clutch and have to wait till the parts store opens to get a quart of oil to service the primary. took pictures of what I found. Is this the tell tell signs of inner primary bearing failure? I dont know. I need an opinion.

Mine went at 13000 miles, same noise. With the clutch removed you could feel the shaft binding when turned by hand. BTW I got a lot of attitude & flack from the dealer service manager so I went to a local indy & got it replaced in 2 days (1 day shipping on parts) for $150 (bearing, race, seal & labor included). I didn't have any wear marks on the clutch but there was a very small amount of shavings on the magnetic drain plug.

OldMike 04-26-2009 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by moonlighter64 (Post 4914022)

Those scratches on the clutch don't look like they were caused by rotational scraping, look more like casting flash cleanup from the factory.

Mike

rayfinseats 04-26-2009 11:40 AM

"Those scratches on the clutch don't look like they were caused by rotational scraping, look more like casting flash cleanup from the factory."

That's what I was thinking.

moonlighter64 05-02-2009 04:40 AM

Well, after I had the primary apart and pretty much figured my problem was with the IPB, I closed everything back up and took the bike to my local dealer with a copy of the
ammendment to the owners manual (thanks jmpancoast). They called me yesterday and said they changed the bearing out and that it was ready at no charge. I didn't get by there to pick it up but I will today for sure.