Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   watcha think. pics with and without shield (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/342838-watcha-think-pics-with-and-without-shield.html)

wiegs 04-29-2009 08:43 PM

watcha think. pics with and without shield

4 Attachment(s)
I have been going back and fourth if I like the shield on my bike. I like the shield because the bugs are pretty bad in the summer. Also I am not sure if I should paint the hardware black. What do you think? Sorry, it was getting dark out when I took the pics.

HD 472 04-29-2009 09:00 PM

Looks good but lilt it back a little..

wiegs 04-29-2009 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by HD 472 (Post 4931706)
Looks good but lilt it back a little..

Wish I could. I turned the bracket around but the shield tilts too far back and the wind hits me in the face.

HD 472 04-29-2009 09:32 PM

Mine won't tilt back ether..Wish it could.

OrangeTJ 04-29-2009 09:34 PM

I think it looks better without it, just like my bike looks better without the Windvest on it. Thing is, riding with the shield is much more comfortable for me, particularly when the bugs are out or a longer freeway stint is in order. Mine only comes off in the winter, when I switch to a full face helmet for warmth, looks be damned.

PigInaBlanket 04-29-2009 09:37 PM

That's a harley shield right? The Memphis Shades ones tilt back farther (well at least i know the sport shields do) That's one thing I didn't like about the Harley shields is that huge gap between the shield and the bike.
I think your bike looks better without it but hey it's you that has to ride it so you make the decision.

2007fxdc 04-29-2009 09:39 PM

Before I comment, let me first state that I own a $300+ detachable "whimpshield". However, IMO, they don't belong or look good on a dyna. But neither do a lot of very useful things like big f'ugly seats and saddlebags. But, when you need them, you need them. That is, though, why I bought detachable everything. Because when I don't need it, it's not on the bike, period.

old skool1983 04-29-2009 09:40 PM

i think the clamps would look better in black, go without the windshield IMO, stay in the wind. if yr going on a long trip and tryin to make consecutive 400 mile days i say throw it on, if not....don't...

o and bugs taste good ;)

wiegs 04-29-2009 10:11 PM

I agree that a windshield does not look the best on a dyna. I will probably only use it for longer trips.

i think the clamps would look better in black, go without the windshield IMO, stay in the wind. if yr going on a long trip and tryin to make consecutive 400 mile days i say throw it on, if not....don't...

o and bugs taste good
I am thinking black would look better, but I hate to paint them and not like it.

2007fxdc 04-29-2009 10:14 PM

Painting the clamps is not going to make it look that much better. I'm not saying it looks bad, it just looks better without a shield.

I don't know how bugs taste, I've learned to keep my mouth closed when riding. But GD they hurt at 60 mph. It's all part of the experience though.