Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally, Good News - Inner Primary Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 03:40 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by Borisat
Gday Mate, yeah its a 1 piece bearing, the bike hadn't done 1000 klms, 600 miles before i noticed the leak(now done 2000 klms), the new seal should be here by the end of next week.

Im thinking i don't want this dealer to touch it again, so might take ya up on that Robots, ill have to source 5 x new bolts and gasket's again.....grrrrrrrrr

Its definitely gathering on the bolt, was hoping it was just the O-ring, but its the seal, i think they damaged it during installation

Not Happy with the service department at all
Make sure the seal gets installed in the proper direction, the spring/cup side towards the bearing and the flat side towards the transmission.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:45 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
Yes sir, add our compensator to that list and you'll really be styling.
An update on the compensator? Last I heard, it was still in the testing phase. Any new developments?

Last edited by Warp Factor; 03-26-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:55 AM
Davii
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to see so many people wound up getting their bikes repaired for that IPB problem. I just wanted to check in and say that I traded my 2006 Dyna in on a Street Glide this past weekend. I had just over 55k miles on the bike when I traded it in with no further issues since the transmission cases, etc, were replaced through this.

Hope no more people are having this issue, or that they are still getting taken care of by the MoCo if they are.

Old 06-08-2018, 05:59 AM
fatchoppers
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PKellyMc
Was awakened an hour ago by a call from the Service Writer. I was wavering between hope and dread as I answered. I had taken the Wide in yesterday morning and demonstrated the IPB noise to him by shifting into 1st gear while idling with the clutch in (to stop the rotation of the offending bearing), shifting to neutral, rolling the RPM's up a few hundred, then dumping the clutch...that whirring "dry bearing" sound was undeniable. Well, later when he did the same demo for the Service Tech, guess who denied it? The Tech said, "That's normal for an '06 Dyna" (WTF!?!?!)

I knew the Service Writer was on the same page as me, but his opinion doesn't trump the "expertise" of the Tech. When he called me yesterday and explained that the Tech didn't think there was a problem, he was apologetic and said I had two choices: 1) I could ride away after paying 1-hr Labor to diagnose a "non-existent problem" ; 2) I could authorize them to open it up and investigate further, BUT, if they found nothing (as the S-T was expecting) then I'd be on the hook for 3-4 hours @ $90/hr Labor plus gaskets, oil, etc., to tear down/reassemble. I imagined myself picking the bike up, riding the **** out of it for a few days, and rolling thru the Service Department doors with that bearing singing Broadway tunes, and yelling, "Can ya HEAR ME NOW!?!?!?"

I opted to roll the dice and gave the go-ahead to tear into it. I spent a long day/night worrying about how much effort a Tech (biased against finding a problem) was gonna expend looking for one! I got my answer when Daniel called this morning. The Tech found .006" runout on the shaft, metal transfer between the bearing/race, heat discoloration to same, and metal residue in the oil ("sounded normal to you, did it?"). Daniel went on to say he'd spoken to Milwaukee and they were giving him authorization to replace the IPB & Race, Inner Primary Case, Transmission Cases & Bearings - the whole shootin' match. I'm going to have him order the chrome Inner Primary Case, and I'll pay any $$ difference over the black one. Whew! I've regained some confidence in my local Service Department and now have confidence that this will be the last time I deal with this issue for a good long time.

He just called back as I was typing this to report that none of the parts on his list were showing as backordered, but that there was a 10-day lead time from the tranny case supplier, in addition to the 7-10-day HD parts order & delivery time. Looks like I'll be back on the Vulcan, or in the convertible for about 3-wks. And it looks like you'll be free of my IPB rants for the same!

Special thanks to my friend Andreas for his research, moral support, and advice. Also to Forums member Jim W. for his experience and ammunition.
so do you have to replace the bearing again at 15000 miles?

Old 07-21-2018, 03:10 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fatchoppers
so do you have to replace the bearing again at 15000 miles?
No. I've been away from The Forums for a long time. Just checked this thread to see if there were any new comments. After the Full Monty at 12k, I had no issues with the IPB. I had to do a belt change in July of '12, so I opted to upgrade to the Baker Bearing at that time. Still no issues, and I'm around 65k miles now.

Old 08-04-2018, 02:55 PM
Snekbitt
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought a 35th Anniversary Super Glide this Friday. Absolutely beautiful bike. Rode it about 200 miles home. While I was puttering around town that night, I noticed a strange sound when I would put the bike in neutral. Decide to study up on what it could possibly be, and now I've stumbled upon this thread and I am 100% certain its the IPB. Did I mention the bike rolled over to 15000 on the way home?

I'm not sure what the best plan of attack is at this point. Ideally I'd like for MoCo to fit the bill for a full Monty. I mean, it is 2018, but I don't think that's an unreasonable request. Should I contact MoCo first, or the dealership first? My local dealership doesn't have the best reputation.

Old 08-09-2018, 02:26 PM
Huggerbugger
Road Warrior
Received 354 Likes on 213 Posts

Dealer service departments don't want to do repairs. No matter what's wrong with it, they're trained to tell you it's normal just to get rid of you.