Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna buying questions!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 07:02 AM
tarheel365
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyna buying questions!

I'm looking at some used 2002-2004 Dyna superglides.

Anything specific on this year or model I should be looking for?
What can I expect from a perspective of engine life? The mileage i'm looking at go from 11k to 30k miles on the odometer.

As far as overheating is concerned, how long and how hot does ambient temp have to be if I'm sitting in traffic before engine damage occurs?

Old 05-21-2009, 07:16 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Younger bro has an '04 Wide (injected), and his has the overtemp management system that shuts down one jug when things start getting too hot. Heard his kick in when we cruised the Vegas strip one night in 95-deg. stop-'n-go. My '06 joined in a few minutes later. Did a hellishly steep/winding climb out'a the valley up towards west entrance to Yosemite in 105-deg afternoon heat, fully loaded down. I was worried, but they tell me they're designed to take it. Donno of any issues with those years, like the IPB and Rotor issues with my '06. Good luck.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:37 AM
jcoopercam
6th Gear

Get a 2002 model with carburetor. 2002 was the last great year for the Fathead motor. ("Twin-Cam" to some...) It sports a crankshaft made on planet Kypton!!! No heat management system either - just pure Harley badness! Carbs suck - Injectors squirt! Leave the fuel injected Harley's for all the "Wild Hogs" out there...
Please excuse this unsolicited rant:
I think Harley decided that they made the motor too good! Why would any manufacturer REMOVE a Timken bearing? I'll tell you: To cut down production time! Same with the new hydraulic cam set. Let me see - do I want my cam riding around in a bronze bushing - or a set of ss bearings? No brainer!!! The new tensioners are still riding on pads made of the same new material as the spring tensioners. Of course you need a better oil pump. With no outer cam bearings - your gonna need it!
Let's not forget the new "Made In China" pressed-pin crankshaft either. It's the end of an era...
HARLEY-DAVIDSON
1903 - 2003
R.I.P.

BTW - GMC will begin shipping their Chinese made vehicles into the US in 2010.

Last edited by jcoopercam; 05-21-2009 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:44 AM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

I have an 05 Super Glide and I'm really happy with it. The 02-04 has the same engine and tranny as my 05 doesn't it? TC88 with 5 speed tranny? I run Red Line synthetic and I've had no heating issues. I ran it all day long in 80 degree temps last week at 4000+ rpms the whole time, and the bike purred like a kitten.

Just by coincidence, I've found several things that you can do to the pre-'06s that you can't do on the newer models, such as the Harley dual front brake kit, Harley tool box that fits under the right rear shock, and I'm sure there are some others that I can't think of right now. Plus, like pkellymc said, no inner primary bearing or stator issues (knock on wood). 11k to 30k miles wouldn't bother me in the slightest. That's just getting warmed up! I'd change all the fluids and plugs when you get it (I recommend Red Line synth in all three holes) and ride on!

Old 05-21-2009, 09:13 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 258 Posts

'02 would be my year of choice; last year for the timken; important if you're going to do any major hop-up. I also believe there was a rear fender change in '02 that may affect some accessory fitment. I've got an '01 with gear drive cams and a few other parts; very happy. Have had no heat issues even 2-up in 90 degree weather; but my motor has been dyno tuned as well. Happy hunting; the advantage is yours in todays economy.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:15 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by jcoopercam
....Carbs suck - Injectors squirt! Leave the fuel injected Harley's for all the "Wild Hogs" out there...
Please excuse this unsolicited rant:
... and you blow....

Anyway, yeah the MoCo screwed folks who are managing to buy a Harley later in their life. All the things they removed (stronger crank, timken bearings) are still available as "upgrades"... yeah, thanks...

Last edited by archergodwin; 05-21-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:55 AM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,283 Likes on 2,350 Posts

The 02's and the 04's are customer servicing friendly, the carb can be hopped up for about $5.00, they are a bit finicky on cold engines but then you are part of a special breed. Not to scare you the weakest part of the TC88 from those years are the cam chain tension shoes. Ask the previous owners if they have been changed, if not ask for about $350.00 off the asking price. Great bikes can't go wrong.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:13 AM
pte359
Tourer

sent you a pm..

Old 05-21-2009, 12:00 PM
thomaskray
Road Master

I got an 02 Super G. Carbed. Freakin thing is built like a tank. So damn easy to work on, and runs like a champ.

I say you cannot go wrong with an 02. Especially if it's carbed.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:50 PM
OrangeTJ
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had no heat related problems (or any other problems, for that matter) on my fuel injected 05 and summers here are regularly in the 95 - 105 range. The only time my engine management has kicked in to deal with a hot engine was in about an hour of grinding stop/go traffic at 100 degrees two up.

I wouldn't be concerned about those mileages in the least, provided that the original owner has taken care of the bike.

Last edited by OrangeTJ; 05-21-2009 at 02:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Dyna buying questions!