Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How -to: Epoxy paint lower legs

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 11:04 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default How -to: Epoxy paint lower legs

I keep getting PM's about how to do this so i figure this would help everyone... (thanks to Special ed for showing me this a few years ago)

Painting lower legs with epoxy paint...

-First remove tires and caliper(s)...
-i then sand down with 220 grit sand paper... you need to get through the clear coat that is on most lowers (aircraft stripper will do that as well) then get a good profile on it with 400 grit....
-after you have a nice profile, use 1 light coat and give it 5 min to tack up... then hit another coat, keep this process up to give it as many light coats as you can within a 1/2 hour... AFTER A 1/2 (30 MIN) you have to stop! or else the paint will bubble, orange peel, and never give you the strength and quality you want... this is no JOKE
- wait 24 hrs to handle the item
- wait a MIN of 1 week (7 days) for any re coat or sanding and re coat

paint used: rustoleum appliance epoxy

*clear coat is NOT needed nor is a primer...

sanded down

paint on

unwrapped

close up

other legs done in it

pics of the legs 3 years later w/o re coat and 30k miles (you will notice that they are almost a SPOT ON MATCH to wet black powder coat)

Last edited by JRK5892; 06-04-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:12 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I personally have found that sanding with 220 will provide a tougher finish. Great write up.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:23 AM
quickblue6
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How's the powder holding up on your exhaust? Would like to do my Big Shots but my powder guy says the powder wont hold, and I would have to do a flat black like Jet Hot 2000 on the exhaust?

Old 06-04-2009, 12:13 PM
JRK5892
Banned

then your powder guy sucks at prep work... those pipes where done about 2 years ago... i do them all the time... even now wiht the advances that high temp powder has taken (and this is not high temp) you can get gloss black powder that will acutally cure harder the hotter it gets... PBTP sells a high temp that is said to take from 800-1200 (i have not laid it yet but i have LOVED everything else i shoot from them)

rounder... IT IS 220! thanks for catching that!!! i will change it up now... my bad my bad!

Old 06-04-2009, 01:26 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To all of those who have used this paint, how has it held up over a long period of time? I am not trying to discount this, I just don't want to touch up the rock chips every month if you know what I mean.
CB

Old 06-04-2009, 01:39 PM
JRK5892
Banned

the last pic in my post was 3 years later without another coat... they look great! unless you drive behind a gravel truck you are going to be fine

Old 06-04-2009, 01:49 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're the man Joe - thanks for this. One question:

Since this paint is so tuff and seemingly easy to apply can I use it instead of powder for things like my fender strut covers, forward control mounts etc?.....I've been saving up a few items to take to powder coating but if this stuff will do the trick and hold up over time then I'm thinking I'll just rattle can them instead......

Old 06-04-2009, 01:55 PM
JRK5892
Banned

i powdered all that on mine, mainly cause i do powder... but i would not recomend the paint on stuff like that as it does not take to wear like powder will... i did a brake pedal in it and after about 3 weeks the contact point where my foot hit is it was down to bare metal again... on f controls and struts i would powder them so when you are using your sissy bar or have bags they dont rub down or where your feet hit they will rub down as well ... but it is your call bud

Old 06-04-2009, 02:11 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JRK5892
i powdered all that on mine, mainly cause i do powder... but i would not recomend the paint on stuff like that as it does not take to wear like powder will... i did a brake pedal in it and after about 3 weeks the contact point where my foot hit is it was down to bare metal again... on f controls and struts i would powder them so when you are using your sissy bar or have bags they dont rub down or where your feet hit they will rub down as well ... but it is your call bud
thanks for the info.......I dont use saddle bags often (or ever really) so the wear isn't prolly an issue for the struts but I take your point on the controls....may as well get it all powdered ('cept the fork sliders; I'm painting those!!!)

Old 06-04-2009, 02:51 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

you can epoxy bars and risers with good effect. My risers are epoxied and perfect like the powder coat. I also epoxied the headlight trim ring and it still looks brand new as well. Licence plate bracket too.

Quick Reply: How -to: Epoxy paint lower legs