Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

checking the VIN history

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 07:13 PM
tcs59
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default checking the VIN history

Is there a website for checking the VIN of a motorcycle? I looked on Carfax and can't seem to find anything.
Thanks
Tim

Old 06-04-2009, 08:23 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

What are you looking for?

Old 06-04-2009, 09:05 PM
sibur
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran a carfax ck on a bike I bought.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:24 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

From what I've read on HDF, unless you go to the originating dealer, they won't tell you anything except if there was warranty work performed on the bike with no specific details.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Robottom
Road Master
Received 138 Likes on 58 Posts
Default VIN Info

You can find info on the VIN and check the combination of numbers and letters against the check digit in the VIN of the bike you're looking at. Basically just a validation that the VIN is good, nothing in particular about the bike itself or its history.

I tried to upload a couple of Word docs that I found and an Excel spreadsheet that performs the calcs for you, but they're too big for the site, uploads are extremely limited for those kinds of documents.

t

Old 06-04-2009, 10:46 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There is another service that is cheaper and, supposedly, better on the nadaguides.com website. On the used car side, they offer a service called VINCheck. I was recently looking at cars for my daughter so I bought a 60 day subscription to run all the VINs I want. Uncovered some shady stuff on a lot of cars that appeared to be clean. It was very helpful. I still have some time left on it and I'm done with the car buying. So, pm me your VIN if you want and I'll run it. Send your email address too and I can email you a copy of the report if one comes back on it.

Most manufacturers can tell you if warranty or recall work was done on a vehicle. But they can't tell you about any damage history, questionnable title history, possible rolled back odometers, etc. These services can tell you that. I was looking for a used Mazda RX-8 for my daughter and found that almost every one I found listed for sale on used car dealer lots were bought at auction and had anything from past frame damage to rolled back odometers.

Last edited by 2007fxdc; 06-04-2009 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:55 PM
frankjake
Road Master

I don't know how accurate the information on any bike would be.

When I crashed my bike, they had to replace the frame. I was concerned about having a different VIN number.

But what they do is order a new frame from the MoCo and send them the old one. The MoCo stamps the new frame with the old VIN number.

The dealer assured me no one would ever know that my frame is not the original. Now of course they may not have been 1005% truthful, but why would they lie about something like that. It wouldn't have made any difference one way or the other. My insuracne company said replace the frame.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:04 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd appreciate that if it were my bike. But, if I were buying yours, I wouldn't appreciate not knowing. Damage or work that significant should have to be reported such that it would come up on a VIN check. But, it may not.

I know bikes are different, especially if the whole frame was replaced vs. repairing it. But I damaged the frame once on my old camaro and had it repaired. It looked fine but it never drove the same again.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:49 PM
frankjake
Road Master

2007fxdc,

When I crashed my bike and was told they were going to replace the frame I was very concerned. It didn't even look damaged at at all. I told insuracne company to think about totaling the bike and getting me a new one.

But then I started talking with a lot of people from bikers to bike mechanics. Many people told me that my bike would be as good as new and maybe even better.

They said that almost every nut and bolt would be taken off the old frame and put back on the new one, as well as the needed new parts. In doing this, the entire bike was "done" by one person, not an assembly line.

After thinking about this I agreed and had them replace the frame. I can't tell the difference in looks, riding, handling or anything.

But I totally agree with you, if I were buying a used bike I would also want to know about that much repair work.

I figure a Harley is like a BMW car, the more paperwork you have when you go to sell it, the more money you will get. I save every receipt I have including all the "bling" I have bought, just to show the buyer when I decided to sell it. Which at this point will be years from now.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:42 PM
tcs59
Advanced

I PM you..let me know if you get it.
thanks
Tim

Quick Reply: checking the VIN history