Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Bob Stock Tire Size Options

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 09:22 PM
kbetts
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a LOT of trouble figuring out which tire to put on my Street Bob. I've owned bikes for 30 years and this is the first time I'm not sure of which tire will fit.

The Bob has a 4.5 inch rim while most tires are rated for 5.25 or more. Total Motorcycle has a tire guide with size/speed rating/rim width/load and a brief description.... LINK

I'm not happy with the price/performance of the K591 so I was hoping to find an Avon Venom the Brits love but evidently it's been replaced with a newer model.

I couldn't find something I knew would work so I went cheap and found a Dunlop D220 170/60/17 on ebay for $75 plus $16 shipping...

LINK

It's a sport tire but rated for the Yami Warrior and Kawi Mean Streak so it should be ok for a few thousand miles. The tire I received was 1.5 years old so it was near the end of it's shelf life. For more info on reading tire manufacture dates and codes and shelf life go here.... LINK

The D220 rides as well or better than the stock and the 170/60 fits perfectly. I have no idea how long it will last but hopefully long enough for there to be a wider selection of replacement tires by the time this one is worn out (maybe even a whole year)

Hope this helps some neophyte like myself (My first HD when I bought my '07 SB used two months ago).

Ciao'

Keith

Old 06-26-2009, 09:43 PM
RonnR
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by archergodwin
Interesting conversation today.

"You did, in fact, install the tire on a vehicle model line for which it is
not intended to go on. The vehicle was originally fitted with a
bias-belted rear tire model, not a radial."

Right... that's why it comes stock on the '07 and '08 FXDSE..... that's like saying your car is running bias ply tires, you can't switch over to radials. The person was just an ***, and Dunlop customer service doesn't know ****.
Thanks for your effort to resolve this, If I hadn't such good mileage out of my first, I might be conserned about my secound, (just mounted). However due to Dunlops doubletalk I think I'll try something differant on the next.
I still think its a good if not great tire. But if they dont know that this tire was 'designed with Harley for oem on the FXDSE' then maybe they should take the HD lettering off the sides and just sell it as a maybe MT tire, maybe not...

Old 06-26-2009, 10:08 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by archergodwin
Interesting conversation today.

Dunlop customer service was adamant that they provided plenty of information on the D407 page. What they said, and stood by, is that they only say that the rear tire D407 for the '09 FL touring model is the multi-tread compound tire.

However I pointed out, that nowhere on the page does it denote which tires are or are not, multi-tread. Again.... with the '09 FL touring model only.

I said, so you think it's too hard to tell which people those tires are?

Again with the "we believe we have given sufficient information, and that putting any more information on the page would cause more confusion".....

WTF?

So it boils down to their statement to me:

"The new D407 tire is made for 2009 FL touring models". The 170/60-17 size doesn't fit any of the new '09 FL platform vehicles. Only the two new
sizes of 180/65-16 and 180/55-18 apply.

wow... so the '09 Harley catalog is wrong.. ?? "no comment"

So there you have it.... only two tire sizes off that page,
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire...ire.asp?id=107

are multi-tread.

And it's just to difficult to 'splain that out I guess. Told the guy, that's like 5 minutes worth of work to modify the web page... maybe.

Here's the other comment I found pretty.... interesting:

"You did, in fact, install the tire on a vehicle model line for which it is
not intended to go on. The vehicle was originally fitted with a
bias-belted rear tire model, not a radial."

Right... that's why it comes stock on the '07 and '08 FXDSE..... that's like saying your car is running bias ply tires, you can't switch over to radials. The person was just an ***, and Dunlop customer service doesn't know ****.
Worse yet,
In the 2009 catalog that Dunlop sent me all the tires under D407 have a red star next to them and at the bottom of the page the red star "indicates new tire". The only reason I questioned it was that the HD P/N had not changed so I e-mailed to verify and the rest, well, has been discussed. Definitely misleading in my opinion.
I want to stress that I am not bashing this tire, never have and believe it to be an excellent tire. I only just wanted to point out that it was not an MT and nothing else. What is funny, you'll probably get 15K out of it when all is said and done.
CB

Attached Thumbnails Street Bob Stock Tire Size Options-img_0689.jpg  
Old 06-26-2009, 11:42 PM
QuickDrawAZ
Advanced

For someone trying to learn this was a tough thread to read, but thank you all for the input. I think I need to re-read it a few more times.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:07 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by cbz1200n
Worse yet,
In the 2009 catalog that Dunlop sent me all the tires under D407 have a red star next to them and at the bottom of the page the red star "indicates new tire". The only reason I questioned it was that the HD P/N had not changed so I e-mailed to verify and the rest, well, has been discussed. Definitely misleading in my opinion.
I want to stress that I am not bashing this tire, never have and believe it to be an excellent tire. I only just wanted to point out that it was not an MT and nothing else. What is funny, you'll probably get 15K out of it when all is said and done.
CB
That is just nuts huh CB....

Same here though, I really like the tire and even though it is not a multi-tread, I think it performs better than the stock K591.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:12 AM
maddog76
Cruiser

So who thinks they have found the best tire for mileage in a biger than stock size?