Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Trading a touring bike for a Dyna? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/361895-trading-a-touring-bike-for-a-dyna.html)

bucket13 06-29-2009 04:50 AM

Trading a touring bike for a Dyna?

Has anyone gone from a touring bike to a Dyna. I am thinking of trading in my 09 Street glide for a Dyna (lowrider or street bob).

While the Street Glide is very comfortable, I just can't get over how much heavier it feels compared to my 02 Lowrider (traded the lowrider a couple of years ago for a springer softail-big mistake). Plus, the 09 touring frames sit much higher and I feel like I am riding on top of the bike. I've changed seats but it hasn't made much difference.

I know most will think that i am trading down, but I really enjoy the handling and control I have while on the lowrider compared to the Street Glide.

Any words of advice?

Any concerns buying a lowrider considering the moco will be discontinueing the model as of 2010?

creekhed1 06-29-2009 05:56 AM

I was at the stealer last week and sat on a bunch of touring bikes and every time I did so all I could think was, "Wow, my bike is SOOO much more comfortable in the saddle". I love my Low Rider...especially now that I have the Pillow Look seat on it!

nhbiker1961 06-29-2009 06:07 AM

Although I thought it would always be nice if I could have a second bike to have a dyna or a softale, I would never give up my touring bike for one. With the amount of riding I do, that would be silly.

PKSHED 06-29-2009 06:09 AM

Why go to a street bike to a tourer if you not going to tour? Of course it's heavier and won't handle at speed thru the twisties as well as the lighter bike. Keep both, problem solved.

Kojax 06-29-2009 06:15 AM

good morning i have the 2009 lowrider very nice bike.....i wanted to trade for a new fatboy i think i changed my mind lol......the salesman told me to keep the lowrider.....he told me i would not like the FATBOY.......

Notgrownup 06-29-2009 06:16 AM

I have a FLHTC and wouldn't mind trading for a Heritage Softail...is that considered trading down??? i don't think so...To each is own...I even thought about trading for a Buell Ulysses...My wife will be getting a bigger bike in about 2 years...i will get whatever i want then...My touring bike is kind of heavy and may not mind something lighter.

masterblaster 06-29-2009 06:26 AM

I traded the 07 Nightster for a 09 Superglide Custom under the sporty trade in deal that HD had, have a 09 UC also, which I traded a 07 RKC for (wanted hard bags and music). I have to say the SGC has very similar comfort level of my 07 RKC and is just fun to ride. Yes its trading down in $ but I would not worry about it too much, wouldnt rule out the SGC vs LR though there is a long range comfort compromise.

tibadoe 06-29-2009 06:32 AM

If you are more comfortable with the Dyna then go for it. :icon_duck:

DeathProof72 06-29-2009 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by tibadoe (Post 5201129)
If you are more comfortable with the Dyna then go for it. :icon_duck:

Ditto here. IMO, not a trade down if in the end you are getting something that will bring you more enjoyment. Even if going from a Dyna, or Softtail to a Sporty, if it's what you like better, then it is a trade up I feel..

lionsm13 06-29-2009 06:55 AM

A person I know did. They went from an Electra Glide to a Low Rider.
I think that they like the Low Rider better. They've had it longer anyway.