Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JP Cycle / Drag Specialties Front Signal Relocation Kit

Old 07-14-2009, 12:46 PM
sknyfats
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JP Cycle / Drag Specialties Front Signal Relocation Kit

Ok - so I've seen lots of talk about the HD, "Under $50 bucks" mod, and Kuryakyn "clamp type" turn signal relocation methods, however, one that I didn't find much info on in my searches is the cheap kit that is offered on ebay that is made by Drag Specialties; it's also sold by JP Cycle from what I've been told.

It comes with no instructions - so this is my shot at providing a little more info as to the best way to go about it.

I just did this on my 2007 FXDB Street Bob.

First, you'll want to remove the signal lights from the handlebar mounts. On the left side, I believe you can then remove the little mount bracket & use an acorn nut on your mirror (may need spacer/washer on there). For the right side, you'll need to pick up a 5/16 acorn nut and washer/spacer after removing the threaded piece that used to hold the signal, to match the other side (yes, of course you can use any type of nut you want - I went with acorns for now).

Regarding the wires - since they are nicely tucked into the sleeve - someone else suggested removing the gas tank bolts and sliding it back 3" or so - then pulling down the little plastic cover in the neck to get to the connectors for the signal wires. This person then used a needle to pull the wires out of the connectors - and simply yanked the wires out (after disassembling the housings on each respective handlebar). This is good info - however, BE CAREFUL when sliding your tank back. There is a fuel line (which has gone through 6 redesigns so far) that will break if you force it. Don't ask me how I know You may want to disconnect this - in addition to removing the dash & disconnecting the connectors up there & the vent hose too.

As for the removing the wires from the connectors with a pin - I couldn't do it. Maybe it was all the gas fumes I had inhaled (see above), but I decided to just cut the connectors off 4 inches beyond the connectors. I used butt connectors & shrink tubing to connect together later.

When all that is done - and the signals & wires are clear & free - you can now mount them; see this link for a nicely detailed walk through: http://ae1m.com/relocate_directionals/install.htm In my case, I DID use the longer bolts, with the spacer, and also picked up the recommended washers listed in the walk through. Once the lights are mounted, run your wires back into the grommots in the neck, connect it all, put it back together - and you'll have a nice clean look for about $30 bucks (25 for the kit and a few bucks for the additional washers). Also, I did not need to replace any of the handlebar clips mentioned at the beginning of the article - mine were fine after I yanked'em out. Also - I didn't remove any "torx bolt from the headlight". The main reason for my posting this link is the pictures of the mouting kit pieces. I couldn't figure the best way initially, and the pics posted here detailed it perfectly.

I like this kit cuz it mounts close, doesn't require an additional clam ontop of the tree (I'm gonna be putting boots up there & a clamp would get in the way) and is fairly cheap. Plus I don't have to drill/grind/thread a thing.

I think the Drag Specialties part # is 2020-0347 & I bought mine on ebay from American Classic Motors.

Hope this helps a few.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:27 PM
Sumpnut
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey a big thanks for the imformation,is exactly the same route I've chosen to relocate the front indicators on my 07 Streetbob(same kit ordered from Drag Specialities)Had an idea how it all goes together but this imformation and the easy step link makes things easier,sent my kit off to be powdercoated.
Only difference is I want to fit non original indicators front and back(see pic.) and will have to work out some solution to that..

Regards Sumpnut

Attached Thumbnails JP Cycle / Drag Specialties Front Signal Relocation Kit-70-371.jpg  
Old 07-14-2009, 06:42 PM
Sixty-Sicks
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

lol.....i relocated mine to the shop floor with a pair of wire-snips.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:14 PM
bigtwin88-66
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Originally Posted by Sixty-Sicks airbrushing
lol.....i relocated mine to the shop floor with a pair of wire-snips.
That Makes 2 of us!!!

Old 09-09-2009, 06:43 PM
09B29
Road Captain

Originally Posted by sknyfats
Ok - so I've seen lots of talk about the HD, "Under $50 bucks" mod, and Kuryakyn "clamp type" turn signal relocation methods, however, one that I didn't find much info on in my searches is the cheap kit that is offered on ebay that is made by Drag Specialties; it's also sold by JP Cycle from what I've been told.

It comes with no instructions - so this is my shot at providing a little more info as to the best way to go about it.

I just did this on my 2007 FXDB Street Bob.

First, you'll want to remove the signal lights from the handlebar mounts. On the left side, I believe you can then remove the little mount bracket & use an acorn nut on your mirror (may need spacer/washer on there). For the right side, you'll need to pick up a 5/16 acorn nut and washer/spacer after removing the threaded piece that used to hold the signal, to match the other side (yes, of course you can use any type of nut you want - I went with acorns for now).

Regarding the wires - since they are nicely tucked into the sleeve - someone else suggested removing the gas tank bolts and sliding it back 3" or so - then pulling down the little plastic cover in the neck to get to the connectors for the signal wires. This person then used a needle to pull the wires out of the connectors - and simply yanked the wires out (after disassembling the housings on each respective handlebar). This is good info - however, BE CAREFUL when sliding your tank back. There is a fuel line (which has gone through 6 redesigns so far) that will break if you force it. Don't ask me how I know You may want to disconnect this - in addition to removing the dash & disconnecting the connectors up there & the vent hose too.

As for the removing the wires from the connectors with a pin - I couldn't do it. Maybe it was all the gas fumes I had inhaled (see above), but I decided to just cut the connectors off 4 inches beyond the connectors. I used butt connectors & shrink tubing to connect together later.

When all that is done - and the signals & wires are clear & free - you can now mount them; see this link for a nicely detailed walk through: http://ae1m.com/relocate_directionals/install.htm In my case, I DID use the longer bolts, with the spacer, and also picked up the recommended washers listed in the walk through. Once the lights are mounted, run your wires back into the grommots in the neck, connect it all, put it back together - and you'll have a nice clean look for about $30 bucks (25 for the kit and a few bucks for the additional washers). Also, I did not need to replace any of the handlebar clips mentioned at the beginning of the article - mine were fine after I yanked'em out. Also - I didn't remove any "torx bolt from the headlight". The main reason for my posting this link is the pictures of the mouting kit pieces. I couldn't figure the best way initially, and the pics posted here detailed it perfectly.

I like this kit cuz it mounts close, doesn't require an additional clam ontop of the tree (I'm gonna be putting boots up there & a clamp would get in the way) and is fairly cheap. Plus I don't have to drill/grind/thread a thing.

I think the Drag Specialties part # is 2020-0347 & I bought mine on ebay from American Classic Motors.

Hope this helps a few.
nice thanks

Old 09-11-2009, 09:12 AM
MyBeerBelly
Tourer

that is the kit i used....but i did a little grinding to get them closer...I am pleased with how they look and work
cheers
Jay

Old 11-08-2009, 07:53 AM
wes mullen
Advanced

hello all, wish i had read this link before installin the HD version . THe destrustions were actually pretty good. Learned how to drain the gas tank, and how not to drain it. HD doesnt sell the hose clamp crimpers that they recommend to us regular folk, but there is a new automotive version of the worm clamp that is really slick and doesn cut the fuel line. THe electrical connectors are actually pretty easy to remove, good pics and instructions in the Dyna service manueo, once you get the "tang" concept .But now i have these huge clamps stickin out the side of my bike . .. feel like i sould turn on the sirene and pull someone over or something. . .THanks again for the informative posts . .

Old 11-08-2009, 08:13 AM
CRZYLGZZ
Road Warrior
Default Huge BUT!!!!!!!

Old 03-12-2010, 06:17 PM
CRZYLGZZ
Road Warrior

Just placed my order. This is by far the best lookin Mod. HD should make this standard on all their bikes.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:57 PM
INADAZE
Cruiser

Does anyone know if they make a set that will fit a 2010 Wide Glide?

I'm still waiting to pick up my bike from the dealer and I actually ordered this for it. I was called earlier this week and they told me they wouldn't work on my Wide Glide. I don't know if they're lying so they can sell the HD kit (not happening), telling the truth, or just don't know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: JP Cycle / Drag Specialties Front Signal Relocation Kit