Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a Fat Bob too much bike for a newbie?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 08:08 PM
xantasm
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from a Triumph Scrambler 900 (retro dual sport) to a 1200 Sportster (bikes built for little bitty mother *******) then I graduated to a big boy bike and got my 2011 Fat Bob and I ride it like I stole it. At the end of the day its your money and regardless of what we say your going to do what your going to do but the philosophy of starting on a beater bike isnt a bad one its just more about if you start out riding being rough on the clutch, making dumb **** moves that all new riders do, and learning the biggest lesson of all that when you turn the key on that bike you have zero right of way cause in an argument between a 5000lb car and a 600lb bike you'll lose every time. So having a bike thats easier to handle, wont hurt your wallet as bad if you scratch it, and won't set you back 15-18 grand if you pull a homer and dump it isnt a bad idea.

That being said with the short rake, fat tires, tall suspension height with heavier shocks stock on the Fat Bob it makes for a 2 up bike with very steady handling that can power through the twisty mountain roads like a much smaller bike would and hit 100+ casually cruising down the freeway. If thats where your heart is at, then at the end of the day its your money and your the one who has to put his name on the contract.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:05 AM
vawinds4
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sgt7212,

First of all, thank-you for serving your country. Short version- Fat Bob-Semper Fi!
I never rode a bike before I was 57, went through the MSF training course, and immediately bought an Iron 883 and added new pipes and other goodies versus a bigger bike for many of the same reasons you have mentioned. But my eye was always on the Fat Bob. One year later, I traded in the 883 for the Fat Bob and have never looked back or regretted the decision except I lost "half a cheek" on the trade-in/trade-up. Still the best biking decision I ever made (other than to have gone to the Fat Bob from the get go).

I found the 883 mid-controls confining, the ride much rougher, and the bike more prone to cross winds. The Fat Bob with the forward controls was an incredibly easy transition, fit me much better, was and is more comfortable, handles like a dream ( much better than a sportster IMHO), handles cross winds well-even with a detachable windshield which I sometimes use, and sounds awesome with V&H 2 into 1 pipes.

Fit as you mentioned is critical. At the dealer I tried virtually every bike other than the biggest cruisers and kept coming back to the Fat Bob because nothing fit better or felt more natural to be on. My road confidence improved after switching from the sportster to the Fat Bob BTW.

When possible or practical,get up early and ride in the least crowded/least busy conditions until you get your "sea legs" regardless of your bike choice. Take it easy and ride with a sensible partner or group and you'll do just fine. Most MSF instructors will set up a relatively inexpensive 1 on 1 personal lesson for you to take your new bike through the handling basics just like you did with the 125 or 250 cc class beaters. You'll pick up solid slow speed handling pointers which should help move you faster through the learning curve.

You'll see very few Fat Bob's on the road for reasons which totally baffle me, but you could not pry my Fat Bob away from me now. For my money it is H-D's best kept secret!

best wishes and ride safe!

vawinds4

Old 06-26-2012, 07:08 AM
Sgt7212
Cruiser

A lot of good info here. If I do decide to go the Fat Bob route, I'd probably go used, unless I got a hell of a deal. I won't make up my mind until I've ridden several at the dealer and see what feels most comfortable. The numbers also need to be right.

Thanks vawinds! Semper Fi brother!

Last edited by Sgt7212; 06-26-2012 at 07:11 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:03 AM
Miguel Moreno
Stage III
Default No bike is too big

No bike is too big. You are taking the course, you already got the basics, all you gotta do is just get familiar with the bike.
before going in to the open roads, you go around where you live, nice and slow, until you are more and more confident to start taking more streets and then the road, but start slow and careful. Nothing wrong.

Last edited by Miguel Moreno; 05-16-2017 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-16-2017, 10:39 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

This thread was started in 2009...by a guy that still only has three posts. Awesome!

Old 05-16-2017, 10:40 AM
OddJack
Road Warrior
Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

Here is my opinion.

No bike is too much for a mature and mentally healthy person. The only thing a first bike like that means is more careful and slower than usual approach. Let us know how it goes bud.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:42 AM
OddJack
Road Warrior
Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by cggorman
This thread was started in 2009...by a guy that still only has three posts. Awesome!
hmmm didnt notice, but it shouldnt matter. The info and opinions on the net last a very very long time and show up on search results for those who need it.

So many times I did just that and found my info on a several years old thread around the net on different sites.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:45 AM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

Im sure youve heard this a thousand times now, i havent read the other replies. Only get a fat bob if you can afford to dump it, because you will being a new rider. Its about that simple.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:18 PM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,427 Likes on 909 Posts

A fat bob or any dyna for that matter is midsize , we're not talking ultra here. I say get the bike u want and take it to a parking lot , drive within your means. Anybody can do 80 down the road ,it's the slow munuvers. I like to ride my buddys bagger then jump on one of my bikes feels like a moped!