Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a Fat Bob too much bike for a newbie?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 05:36 AM
StanG
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same dilemma last year when I wanted to get a bike. Everyone said buy a smaller one to get used to it and then step up to the bigger bike. But I took the class bought an FXDC and haven't looked back. At first I stuck to less traveled roads until I built up my confidence to the point where I was comfortable and then moved on to traveling anywhere with confidence. 14000 miles later I am glad I bought the bike I wanted right away

Old 07-16-2009, 05:57 AM
Rich2700.1.1
Advanced

I would advise getting the Fat Bob if that's what you like. The very worst thing is getting a lesser bike and then deciding you should have gotten the other. Then you might get stuck with it or have to take a loss to upgrade.

The big bikes seem actually easier to ride and handle. Bigger wheel base and tires and you the road surfaces don't pound you around like they will with a smaller bike.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:05 AM
spiritwarrior
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think it has all been said, rde safe, always keep the safety gear on, expect the unexpected.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:21 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can analyze the death out of this but comes down to how much money you are willing to chance on a whim. It maybe a good idea to rent one over a weekend, just to be more certain its right for you, but is more fun to just not think about it, just buy one you like and ride home with it. The FatBob is one of the easier bikes to ride, just go for it.

There are many beginners that think they will like to ride but end up not. If you are not sure you will like riding on the street, the conventional wisdom is to get an inexpensive easy to ride standard or small cruiser (think in terms of throw away). Get your first bumps an the cheap bike, see what is like to ride in the rain, bugs, and being on the lookout for other driver's mistakes, and then get what you want. But perhaps one of the reasons beginners drop out is that the ride is not all that satisfying.... so I think you should get something you really want to ride.

If you are taking a safety class and will use their bike for the license test, I think there is no reason, either safety or practical, to not go right for the FatBob and with confidence.

I've owned/ridden several bikes over the years. Even though the FatBob is 200lb heavier than anything else I've owned, you sit low and it is actually very easy to ride well (requires less strength than sport bikes). If you are intimidated, tiny, weak.. it may be uncomfortable at low speeds and pushing it around to park. Once it is rolling it is an easy ride, not too much for anyone.

Only real Harleys vibrate their fenders while idling :-)

Last edited by ColdCase; 07-16-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:23 AM
russell6hp
Tourer

Due the rental! Take a long weekend, ride the crap out of rental, and see how you feel.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:37 AM
BULLDOG88
Road Captain

n00b.
Find the local HA hangout, walk in, and ask for the biggst pu$$y in the place.
Tell him you want to ride what he rides.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:12 AM
wilcher
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't waste your time and money getting a smaller bike that you don't really want. But also don't ride scared, thats when people crash! Be confident and be safe.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:27 AM
Gutter Man
Cruiser

I was in the same situation as you a few months ago and I said screw it and bought the CVO Fat Bob. I was looking at the black FB and loved it, but I am slightly vertically challenged so I felt a little stretched out, but a few changes would make it fit better for me.Anyway I went home and told my wife I wanted a Harley and to my surprize she said "which one are you looking at?" Trying not to smile I told her I have been at the dealer looking at the FB so off we went.
She kind of liked it but when she saw the yellow CVO she said I should get that one. After a little wheeling and dealing it was mine. When I picked it up I planned on driving for a couple of hours to get used to riding again but was so intimidated and nervous I went straight home, parked it and had a beer. She wanted to go for a ride but I told her I could hardly drive it by myself. We still lauph about that.
I love the bike and am so happy I bought the one that I wanted right away. No regrets, no problems riding and it fits me perfect. I could not be happier. Get what you want right away. There is nothing worse that not getting what you really wanted.
Gutterman and I say screw it lets ride

Old 07-16-2009, 10:51 AM
pelliott6
Tourer

If you live in a relatively flat area you'll be ok. If you live around hills you better be ready for the weight. I went from a 650 to a 1200 Sporty and outgrew the Sporty in a year. Could I have gone from a 650 to the Fat Bob? Not around here without dropping it a couple of times. The problem will be at 0 mph when your not flat. The FXDB weighs almost twice what my Speed Triple weighed.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:53 AM
pelliott6
Tourer

Originally Posted by BULLDOG88
n00b.
Find the local HA hangout, walk in, and ask for the biggst pu$$y in the place.
Tell him you want to ride what he rides.
would that be an FXD?

Quick Reply: Is a Fat Bob too much bike for a newbie?