Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Tell....???? (UPDATED 6/10)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 06:51 AM
Islander
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Tell....???? (UPDATED 6/10)

UPDATED 6/10

Not having received any convincing information from the dealer as to whether or not the Stage II was actually done on my FXDWGI prior to my purchase, I tore into the heads this morning. Removing the front head confirmed my worst suspicion. The bike is stone cold stock 1450cc with a Stage I air cleaner.

I immediately phoned the dealer and asked them to again confirm that the bike was in fact Stage II 1550cc. The SM said "yes, I'm sure". I again asked if he was sure and he said he personally ordered the kit and had it installed since he was riding the bike as a demo and thinking of buying it. Then I told him that I had pulled the head and the cylinder was stock 3.75" bore...........

DEAD SILENCE............

"F%&K!" he says. Then gave me some song about the mechanic who did the work doesn't work there anymore (but he could'nt remember his name!!), then said HE must have been ripped off by the mechanic!!!!! I told him I wasn't sure what he was sold, but I was pretty damned sure what ***I*** was sold and I wanted it made right. After a few choice exchanges, he agreed to order and send me the Stage II kit no charge. Since I have it torn down I'll DIY the mod, since I don't want them anywhere near the bike. I already have SERT so ecm won't be a problem.

So, to all who get that sneaking feeling that something isn't quite right with what the dealership told you, follow through on it. And if they tell you they've done some work on it, make them prove it. Words are worthless when it comes to confirming that what we've gotten is what we've paid for.

As Ronald Reagan used to say, "Trust, but verify."

Caveat Emptor, especially when it comes to HD dealerships!!!!! May they all rot in hell.

Islander

ORIGINAL POST:

I'm in the unenviable position of possibly having been lied to by the dealer that I bought my 2004 DGWI from. (like that never happens to anyone else, eh?)
I bought the bike in August '05. It had 2480 miles on the odo. At the time of purchase, the "sales manager" represented the bike as having been riden by him as a "demo". He told me (in the presence of others) that the bike had SE Stage II (1550, cams, A/C).

I'm getting ready to change the exhaust and perhaps do some other mods, so I purchased the SERT to remap after the changes (I wanted to play with the SERT ahead of time to get over the learning curve). I also thought that, instead of re-creating the ECM map, I'd ask the dealer if they have the map they loaded when the Stage II was done, figuring that would save me some time (and I'd be willing to pay for the map if need be).

Well, it got interesting when I inquired about the availability of the map. Initially, the "sales manager" said there was no need to remap if I only changed the pipes. When I said (diplomatically) I'd just feel better if the map was modified for the pipes, he clamed up. When I inquired (several times over the last few weeks) if he could confirm what mods were done on the bike, he never replied. Suffice to say there is now confusion and a building lack of trust in what he says/doesn't say. I've now been told by an employee (that I trust) at the dealer that the bike actually had an owner (not the "sales manager"), so I don't know what the build is on the bike or what it's history is. The SE A/C is there, but that's the extent of what I know now. This employee is now working inside the dealership trying to find out the truth about the bike and the supposed mods that were/werenot done. I now doubt that the 2480 miles were the true mileage, and I wonder if it's not a stock 1450. The word "fraud" keeps popping up in my head and I kind of like the idea of owning an HD dealership (perhaps acquired through a court settlement???....... hehehehe) =)

Any quick way(s) to tell what's what on my WG, short of pulling the heads? I already gather there's no way to determine if the cam was changed without pulling

Old 05-24-2006, 07:05 AM
Rauzer
Road Captain
Default RE: How to Tell....????

Wow, that sucks. I dont have a clue how you would determine that, but I hope it works out for you. I know I'd be more than a little pissed at the dealer. [>:]

Old 05-24-2006, 11:02 AM
but Ill try 2 try
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't know my ex-girlfriend was working as a Harley sales-manager now.

Old 05-24-2006, 11:24 AM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well that does just suck! In any case. Before you start accusing them of fraud, it might be a good idea to have them list all the mods on this bike at the time of sale. Not verbally, but on paper! This will protect you in a few ways. (1) leverage in court and (B) insurance purposes and 3) warranty claims

Anyone can promise anything verbally (it's their word against yours). If there were other mods done and it's not stock, you should insist they provide this list of mods on paper to jusify what you paid for.

Thinking on the good side...That salesman could simply be misinformed or mistaken and advised you incorrectly. This doesn't mean he lied neccessarily....more like he's just a poor salesman. If he knew exactly what was what, and told you this crap, and you paid a good price for stock thinking there were other mods done, yep, they gottcha good. He should still be held accountable for selling you one thing and accepting payment for another.

ALWAYS GET THIS STUFF IN WRITING!!!

Old 05-24-2006, 12:21 PM
Spectrexx
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't trust many dealerships. Too many crooked ones out there. They ain't like they used to be when they were concerned with making the customer happy, no matter what it costs them. Most are just in it for the money now. They want to sell you the bike and then never want to see you again unless you are there to spend more money. [:@]

Tell the store owner that if you don't get the straight scoop right now, you will be reporting them to the BBB, the FTC, and the Attorney General's office for an investigation. You'd be amazed how fast people jump when you say that!! You might also be able to get a CARFAX report. I'm not sure if they track bikes, though. If so, then you could at least tell if it's been registered by someone else besides the dealer. Your state DMV might also be able to help you find out more about it.

Old 05-24-2006, 12:29 PM
Mrkicks
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your title, it will clearly list weather it was "new" or "used". If you financed it and don't hold the title, call the lender and ask them to send you a copy.

Old 05-24-2006, 12:39 PM
XRP
Ultimate HDF Member

If you find out how to tell if they actually did cams and 1550, I would like to know that. Good info to post. Later, Claire.

Old 05-24-2006, 12:44 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A dealerships demo, would not be listed as "used". Until it is transferred out of the dealerships name, it still considered "new". The only real way to know how much it was used as a demo is the mileage.

Old 05-24-2006, 01:29 PM
DelcoDyna
Cruiser

Check the title. An "A" title means you are the first owner. "B" means second, etc..

If there is no state one done, talk to the owner about having the dealership do it for free.

no harm is asking.

Old 05-24-2006, 02:10 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

ORIGINAL: but Ill try 2 try

I didn't know my ex-girlfriend was working as a Harley sales-manager now.
ROFLMAO!!! Damn....I didn't know you were dating my ex-wife LOL

Quick Reply: How to Tell....???? (UPDATED 6/10)