Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Tires... ahh... sorry.. just need some feedback (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/389548-tires-ahh-sorry-just-need-some-feedback.html)

JRK5892 08-21-2009 12:03 PM

Tires... ahh... sorry.. just need some feedback

OK.. so it is tire time... big time tire time, i need both for the bob, and the girl needs 2 new ones on her scoot as well... awesome right! hahaha

anyway... i have spent the past 2 days goign though all my tire posts i have saved and have come to this conclusion, just wanted to run it by you guys..

Best place to buy tires (cheepest): www.motorcyclesuperstore.com

tire options:
for 180 i have to run the dunlops

Avon:
110/90/19 - Venom (front)
170/60/17 - Storm (rear)

Metzler:
ME880 170/60/17
ME880 110/90/19

are these my two best bets? any other sugestions or where to buy them... i would like to go with a 180 but it does not look like any good tires out there will work...
also, i know the V rod 120 font tires have been said to fit on the st bobs... has anyone put it on there for sure? i customized my front fender for a fatter front tire and want to know once an for all how wide i can go...

sorry to post this i usually hate these types of posts but i have done a TON of homework before :icon_user::icon_nut:
just wanted to hit you guys up for feed back and sugestions

Stanger 08-21-2009 12:22 PM

Joe, Personally I am an Avon fan. I have had nothing but good luck with them. May not last as long as others, but the grip is just unreal. So, for me the cost and replacement time were not enough to push me away.

bigmikaele 08-21-2009 01:06 PM

Joe, I have a 120 on the front of mine and it has the stock fender. No mods and it fits fine. A little close but I like the look of it closer. The part that was concerning was the tabs that attach the fender to the tubes. So as long as you didn't adjust them down from stock position you shouldn't have a problem with a 120 front.
As for the manufacturer dispute... that is the point where everyone gets too... Avon's or Metzler and I have found that it is pretty much a 50:50 shot. I have Metzlers and am pleased with them, but I think you can't go wrong with either set.

edit: Oh by the way I have a 21" tire on mine so if you still have the 19" on yours ignore my earlier comment about dropping the tabs.

RCB 08-21-2009 01:14 PM

I have been runnibg the Metzelers on my bike since May and am very happy with them. Also purchased from Motorcycle Superstore.

jackyl 08-21-2009 01:29 PM

i have the avon setup and love them, 10 times better then dunlops. jackyl

hogcity5 08-21-2009 02:02 PM

What about the new Michelin being produced for HD ?

spiritwarrior 08-21-2009 02:05 PM

JRK,

Every post I have read says the Avon's are stickier but don't last as long. I even heard one guy who put avon on the rear and Metzler on the front or vice versa. He wanted the better wear on one axle but sticker on the other.

I think you can't go wrong with either brand. If you ride like a maniac then the Avon may give you that extra edge.

By the way thanks for all your posts. I generally use yours as the gold standard when I'm evaluating which posters advice to use.

steveoh62 08-21-2009 02:08 PM

I just put the Avon Storm on my ride (rear) and I really like it. I bought it at Cycle Gear. www.cyclegear.com. They were running a 20% off sale on tires and I got it for $150.

formike56 08-21-2009 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by JRK5892 (Post 5466889)
OK.. so it is tire time... big time tire time, i need both for the bob, and the girl needs 2 new ones on her scoot as well... awesome right! hahaha

anyway... i have spent the past 2 days goign though all my tire posts i have saved and have come to this conclusion, just wanted to run it by you guys..

Best place to buy tires (cheepest): www.motorcyclesuperstore.com

tire options:
for 180 i have to run the dunlops

Avon:
110/90/19 - Venom (front)
170/60/17 - Storm (rear)

Metzler:
ME880 170/60/17
ME880 110/90/19

are these my two best bets? any other sugestions or where to buy them... i would like to go with a 180 but it does not look like any good tires out there will work...
also, i know the V rod 120 font tires have been said to fit on the st bobs... has anyone put it on there for sure? i customized my front fender for a fatter front tire and want to know once an for all how wide i can go...

sorry to post this i usually hate these types of posts but i have done a TON of homework before :icon_user::icon_nut:
just wanted to hit you guys up for feed back and sugestions

Joe,

Have you thought about Perelli Night Dragon's. They have a 180/60b17 that is a replacement for the SE180. Heard good reviews for them. That will be my next tire. Modesto HD is have a big tire sale right now. I bought a SE180 from them for 180.00$ shipped. It was 165.00 + 14.00 for shipping. Local HD wanted 240.00. And you don't pay no stinking Taxes..... Just my:icon_twocents:

AdrianVall 08-21-2009 03:02 PM

Get the Avon's man.. you won't be disappointed! They look good too! I got a 110 venom and 170 storm. Love the setup.