Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   phront turn signals relocated (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/39752-phront-turn-signals-relocated.html)

phreak 06-10-2006 06:35 PM

phront turn signals relocated

phinnaly got the phront turn signals moved off the bars.

I had been waiting phor a chance to move them and run the switch wiring inside the bars at the same time. Got that buttoned up last weekend. I used a set of 49mm phork tube clamps phrom Kuryahkyn to do it. Then this week I got the smoked turn signals in. That need to be done badly. After I got the signals moved next to the headlight, the amber lollipops just didn't look right.

Here's some new pix with the signals moved, and the bars wired internally.
https://www.hdforums.com/upfiles/817...a830609113.jpg
https://www.hdforums.com/upfiles/817...a859448707.jpg

CraigC 06-10-2006 06:38 PM

RE: phront turn signals relocated

Slick! Looks good.

phreak 06-10-2006 06:42 PM

Thanks man. It's getting to the point where I don't think there's a heck of a lot more to do.

phreak 06-10-2006 06:56 PM

Here's a close up of the signals
https://www.hdforums.com/upfiles/817...q455728131.jpg

TOMMAY 06-10-2006 07:12 PM

Looks great. Like it so much better than the factory stalks.

How much pain was it running the wires inside the handlebars?

phreak 06-10-2006 07:18 PM

ORIGINAL: TOMMAY

Looks great. Like it so much better than the factory stalks.

How much pain was it running the wires inside the handlebars?
Took quite awhile, but I did it slowly and carefully so I wouldn't have any problems in the phuture.

My son helped, and we cut each wire, and soldered them together again after pulling them through the bars. phirst side was phairly easy, but the second side was a bit more difficult since half the space to come out of the bottom was already taken up.

I used a piece of stiff wire to pull the switch wiring through the bars with. Wrapped the wires around the pull wire with electric tape, then slowly and gently pulled it through. Took a couple of tries to get them pulled, but in the end I like the cleaner look much better.

Sooee 06-10-2006 07:20 PM

Looks clean and mean Phreak - nice!!!!

phreak 06-10-2006 07:26 PM

I think it's the tank lift that really does it.

RudeDog 06-10-2006 07:52 PM

phreak Date 6/10/2006 4:26:00 PM
^ You hit the nail right on the head with that one Phreak! ^

Seriously tho', I'd suggest blacking out the fork lowers and get a laydown smoked tail light and then I'd call it complete, at least until you think of something else. [8D]

phreak 06-10-2006 08:17 PM

ORIGINAL: RudeDog

phreak Date 6/10/2006 4:26:00 PM
^ You hit the nail right on the head with that one Phreak! ^

Seriously tho', I'd suggest blacking out the fork lowers and get a laydown smoked tail light and then I'd call it complete, at least until you think of something else. [8D]
Thanks man ;)

Looking around phor a taillight, and trying to pull together some bux phor a paint job. Buddy of mine is going to lay some real phire over the black cherry phor me. Then I'll start saving again to get the lowers and maybe trees powder coated phlat black.

RudeDog 06-10-2006 08:37 PM

that's already a kick a$$ ride and you're going to make it even more kick a$$! I assume the emphasis is on $$? :D

subculture08 06-10-2006 08:43 PM

I have to agree - they look waaaay better then the HD kit - I may need to ebay mine and go the way you did.
Looks great!

killer.com 06-10-2006 09:04 PM

Freak-I have a question for ya. When I talked to Kurynkn about the 49mm light clamps, the guy told me the threads were a course thread versus the fine thread on the blinkers? He said the clamps were for there lights not the stock blinkers, What's up? Did you have to do something different to mount the blinkers? Thanks, Eric

PsTaN 06-10-2006 09:11 PM

Looks nice Phreak .... havent decided whether I'll move mine or not.

phreak 06-10-2006 09:29 PM

ORIGINAL: killer.com

phreak-I have a question for ya. When I talked to Kurynkn about the 49mm light clamps, the guy told me the threads were a course thread versus the fine thread on the blinkers? He said the clamps were for there lights not the stock blinkers, What's up? Did you have to do something different to mount the blinkers? Thanks, Eric
Take a close look at the close up pic I posted.

The threads on the bolts they include with the kit will not go completely into the blinkers. So what I did was add a 1/2" spacer to make up the difference between how phar in their bolts would go, and the space between the clamp and the blinker. It tightens up nicely, and stays in place.

Street Rob 06-11-2006 10:56 AM

hey phreak,

What size of bars are those and where did you get them...they look real good. if you wanted to run the wires externally and keep the turn signals on the bars...are the factory cables and wires long enough for those bars on a stock bob?

thanks

jmbear328 06-11-2006 11:10 AM

hey phreak,

Yeah,.... I'm glad ya posted these pics. I've been wanting to move my signals to the forks but I was holding off since I think the factory locoation looks better than the recloation kit that H-D has. I really like the look of those from Kuryakyn. And you know you should never say that your almost done,......cause that usually means your now entering the expensive phase,....LOL

John

Whiffleboy 06-11-2006 11:31 AM

Nice job, Phreak. I really like it.

Whiff

phreak 06-11-2006 06:22 PM

Thanks everybody.

ORIGINAL: Street Rob

hey phreak,

What size of bars are those and where did you get them...they look real good. if you wanted to run the wires externally and keep the turn signals on the bars...are the factory cables and wires long enough for those bars on a stock bob?

thanks
The bars a Drag Specialties 14.5"x1" thick. Got them phrom Dennis Kirk. I drilled them phor the internal wiring, and painted them black myself.

There was enough of the stock wiring to run it on the outside of the bars. I ran it that way phor a couple of weeks before moving the signals and running the wires inside.

Cables on the other hand.... I did have to replace the brake, throttle/idle and clutch cables to use these bars.

demonik 06-11-2006 08:17 PM

Son of a...

I looked at Harley's version and had decided that they looked better where they were. And then you come a long and show me just how much cooler they can look...

...another mod I can't afford yet. They're beginning to pile up now.[:-]

Really cool bike Phreak!

Demonik

phreak 06-11-2006 08:48 PM

This mod's not too hard on the wallet. I think it was about 50 bux direct phrom Kuryahkyn,

TOMMAY 06-11-2006 08:49 PM

ORIGINAL: killer.com

Freak-I have a question for ya. When I talked to Kurynkn about the 49mm light clamps, the guy told me the threads were a course thread versus the fine thread on the blinkers? He said the clamps were for there lights not the stock blinkers, What's up? Did you have to do something different to mount the blinkers? Thanks, Eric
I don't think Freak caught all your question. The factory threads are different,you'll have to get a different bolt or use the factory allen head bolt but it protrudes too far out into the inner side of the clamp. I just ground the head at an angle til it cleared,leaving barely enough to get a grip with the allen wrench.The mating surfaces aren't the same,you'll have to use a spacer like Freak said or do like I did and trim a rubber piece off an old fuel line clamp I had laying around and got nearly a flush mount out of it.

Hope I didn't confuse things further.

Good Luck

Tom

TOMMAY 06-11-2006 09:02 PM

Phreak,I think I just realized why your bolts wouldn't go all the way in,the coarse thread will force in for a ways but then bind on the fine threads.

Good Luck

Tom

phreak 06-11-2006 09:05 PM

ORIGINAL: TOMMAY

Phreak,I think I just realized why your bolts wouldn't go all the way in,the coarse thread will force in for a ways but then bind on the fine threads.

Good Luck

Tom
Yup. That's exactly it. I hunted around in my big ol' bag o bolts phor something that would phit, didn't phind any, but I did phind the spacers, so I went that route. Maybe someday I'll look phor some different bolts, but phor now it's working out phine.