Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price of a Stage I download?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 10:53 AM
Gary7
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Price of a Stage I download?

I sent the service manager at my dealer an e-mail this morning asking him how much the Stage I download costs. He responded saying he didn't know what I was talking about, that there are no more downloads for Harleys, and I would need a race tuner, which is $450.

I sent him an e-mail back explaining that I was talking about the software download that is required when you install a Stage I air cleaner. I even quoted the online catalog that says "ECM calibration needed - priced separately." He responded that I would need the race tuner for the calibration.

So I called the HD dealer here in town, which is actually closer to me than the one where I bought my bike, and asked the service manager about the Stage I download. Of course, he knew what I was talking about and said it's $150 plus 1/2 hour labor. Does that sound right?

Old 09-04-2009, 10:59 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,095 Likes on 1,635 Posts

I paid $150.00 for the HD download when I purchased the bike new 10 months ago, although I ended up getting the SE Pro Super Tuner later on and had the bike dyno tuned for optimum a/f ratio and power.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:02 AM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually think I paid a little more for the stage 1 flash......about $175; but I'm in Canada and everything costs more here.........

Old 09-04-2009, 11:04 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

They are both full of chit. $150 for "software" and labor on top of that? If I were you, I'd take that money and buy a power commander or something that can be tuned and adjusted as you make changes to the bike.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:09 AM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Going rate here is $150. Not sure about labor, but I wouldn't pay a labor charge on top of it.

From my experience dealers are pushing to sell a SERT every chance they can.

Sammi

Old 09-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Darth Dyna
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, maybe the guy that said you needed a race tuner was having a bad day. The stage one download is still available, and a race tuner is not necessary unless you've gone to a larger throttle body. As the previous posts said, $150 is the price for the download itself. Then once that's done, you will need to upgrade the breather otherwise you'll be choking the engine.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:24 AM
kngobra
Tourer

Originally Posted by SBRob
I paid $150.00 for the HD download when I purchased the bike new 10 months ago, although I ended up getting the SE Pro Super Tuner later on and had the bike dyno tuned for optimum a/f ratio and power.
Makes sense...do you happen to remember what the differences were between the HD download and your dyno tune?

Old 09-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior

The service manager where I bought my bike is still insisting that the race tuner is required if you purchase a Screamin' Eagle AC. When I e-mailed him that I'd gotten a price quote from my local dealer for the download, this was his response:

"The download that other dealers are installing is the 103”. This is not the correct way to do it. It will change the timing and richen the fuel but it maybe too much. We do not recommend doing it this way. I will do it for you Gary, but I will not guarantee you won’t have running issues."

Is that a bunch of bullshit, or what?

Old 09-04-2009, 01:15 PM
skip3406
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the download/Stage 1 REMAP
(1584 ST 1 DYNA SOFTA P/N 34454-07B/DT) almost 3 years ago and it seems to run just fine to me.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:08 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary7
The service manager where I bought my bike is still insisting that the race tuner is required if you purchase a Screamin' Eagle AC. When I e-mailed him that I'd gotten a price quote from my local dealer for the download, this was his response:

"The download that other dealers are installing is the 103”. This is not the correct way to do it. It will change the timing and richen the fuel but it maybe too much. We do not recommend doing it this way. I will do it for you Gary, but I will not guarantee you won’t have running issues."

Is that a bunch of bullshit, or what?
Yes. Complete BS.....

Quick Reply: Price of a Stage I download?