Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wide Glide Rear Fender onto a Fat Bob

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 09:57 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Borderman
hey guys. i plan on doing this mod myself. is it fairly simple for me, a guy who hasn't done many mods? is it basically just unbolt the old fender and slap the new one on?
Take off old fender and strut covers (jack bike up), figure out how you wanna run wires with new fender for turn sigs and side mount license plate, and yes the new fender should just bolt on with the WG strut covers.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:23 AM
Borderman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couple more

ok a couple more questions:
1. can I use the wires from the existing turn signals? I plan on incorporating a stop lamp into my side-mount plate
2. I currently have the detachable passenger backrest on my fat bob. can I still use it as-is once I change out the fender?

Old 01-14-2010, 02:29 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member

1. can I use the wires from the existing turn signals? I plan on incorporating a stop lamp into my side-mount plate
2. I currently have the detachable passenger backrest on my fat bob. can I still use it as-is once I change out the fender?
1. You can use your existing turn signal wiring if you get a module that boosts the output using a two-wire setup. I think Badlands does this as well as the one Harley sells. I went with the module that the WG uses not knowing I'd have to re-wire my turn signals for the dual-intensity bulbs.
2. The mounting locations should be the same. I use a Le Pera barebones w/ pillion and they updated their site to say it fits all Dyna's '06-Up & Wide Glide, which means they must not have changed the hole locations.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:31 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member

Sorry I misread. You might run into issues with that backrest. Check with the dealer they'll be able to tell you.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:24 PM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

hey guys. i plan on doing this mod myself. is it fairly simple for me, a guy who hasn't done many mods? is it basically just unbolt the old fender and slap the new one on?
Originally Posted by low_n_slow
Not a problem

If you need any help let me know.
I see you caught the side and front wiring harness.
I did not ...
I had to go back and install those.
I used the existing rubber conduit and t-ed under the fender.
after I looked at one on the floor, I then saw and order those.
I think it's simpler to use the Run-Stop-Turn modoel instead of the plate mount stop light. It would certainly allow you to keep the sigs & quick release hardware as is.
The tricker part may be the wire conduit part.
I don't know what "low_n_slow" used... sounds like stock stuff? Maybe more info along those lines would help... or check a WG on the show room floor.

Here's a link to how I did mine: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...home-made.html

Old 01-14-2010, 08:46 PM
low_n_slow
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 08fxdf43202
I think it's simpler to use the Run-Stop-Turn modoel instead of the plate mount stop light. It would certainly allow you to keep the sigs & quick release hardware as is.
The tricker part may be the wire conduit part.
I don't know what "low_n_slow" used... sounds like stock stuff? Maybe more info along those lines would help... or check a WG on the show room floor.

Here's a link to how I did mine: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...home-made.html
I made my own wiring harness just about like what you did 08 I found that it was easier to use the wiring conduit that fits along the side... nothing like having to do something twice when you find a better solution...they have the wire conduit, it works really well.

08fxdf43202 the more I see your bike the more I like it you have done a great job on it.

My next step is to get the rims powder coated a black chrome with the lips polished.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:52 PM
monkey_boy
Advanced

This thread is awesome. I was debating between the Street Bob and Fat Bob. My only real 'issue' with the FB was the rear fender. Went with the FB.

Anyone know if: 60519-10BJM RR,DOM,VIVID BLACK W/PS
would be a direct replacement for a vivid black FB? not sure what the "W/PS" means....
I also found: 60519-10DH RF,DOM,FXDWG,VIVID BLACK
the normal 60519-10 is primed, these (I assume) are painted...that is all I was looking for.

Last edited by monkey_boy; 01-14-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:15 PM
craftsmandave
Intermediate

CHeck it

Old 01-14-2010, 11:34 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Borderman, you're going to run into one issue with the detachable backrest. Your normal mounting location for the rear turn signal on a Fat Bob is the last hole of the strut cover, which is actually beyond the end of the frame's strut. Because of this, you are relocating your turns to the last hole of the frame's strut with the WG fender and struts. This just happens to be the hole your detachables use for the back bolt.

What you'd have to do is get a hollow bolt and feed it from the inside of the fender, through your detachables hardware and then bolt your signal on the end. I'd get it long enough to have a nut between the signal and the detachable hardware so you could torque it without putting undue strain on the signal housing. Plus, that nut would suffice as a spacer for your signal since you won't be using the standard rear signal spacer either. If you don't like the appearance of the rear signals without the spacer (they are molded to fit) then you can get some front sigs which are smooth.

I'm facing the same dilemma, so I've put some thought into it. The only thing I haven't done is to ensure the signal bolt diameter and the detachable bolt diameter are the same, but I think they are.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:37 PM
low_n_slow
Cruiser

Originally Posted by monkey_boy
This thread is awesome. I was debating between the Street Bob and Fat Bob. My only real 'issue' with the FB was the rear fender. Went with the FB.

Anyone know if: 60519-10BJM RR,DOM,VIVID BLACK W/PS
would be a direct replacement for a vivid black FB? not sure what the "W/PS" means....
I also found: 60519-10DH RF,DOM,FXDWG,VIVID BLACK
the normal 60519-10 is primed, these (I assume) are painted...that is all I was looking for.
W/PS mean with pin stripe

Quick Reply: Wide Glide Rear Fender onto a Fat Bob