Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Dyna Inner Primary Bearing Failure - Another Unhappy Customer's Story

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 08:48 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by X90
I have an 06 with about 12k and when I was deciding how I was going to install my forwards, I decided to go into the inner primary to weld the stator and install a baker bearing. When I opened it up all the screws on the stator were there and the IPB looked fine.

I installed the forwards, the baker, and welded the screws. I wasn't going to continue to ride the bike always thinking that those components were going to fail, how I was going to fight the dealer if and when they did fail, how long the bike was going to out of commission and how many times it was going to happen.

The forward kit had all the gaskets needed, my friend had a welder..zero $$, and the baker cost about $50 shipped. Peace of mind...PRICELESS

If anything does happen now, I can use my new found mad mechanical skills to save the day!
Isn't the infamous IPB problem caused by a faulty design in the primary? I seem to remember reading where the 07+ cases are doweled which disables the case from moving thereby limiting IPB failure. If you didn't do that, I suspect you may have a problem anyway. Just sayin.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:05 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Vic's right; 07+ cases (-06A part numbers) have 2 IP to Tranny case alignment dowels that the -06 p/n's don't have. Have still heard of IPB failures with dowelled cases, but mine (2 failures; 3.9K and 12K) is fine after the fix with the new cases (now 24K+). HD will fix free, if you handle it right...read other active IPB thread.

Update 0/2/14: Now 45K+ miles and no IPB issue since getting the Full Monty fix from HD at 12K.

Last edited by PKellyMc; 07-02-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:10 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

I only know that info because of your in-depth posting on the subject, Patrick. Thank you.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:25 PM
HDTech74
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it was more of a problem on the dynas.
the MOCO actually had a problem with some of the dowel alingment pins shifting
thus causing the Inner primary to shift causing the IBP to wear prematurely.
we did one last week. Harley GoodWilled a new trans case, and we as a dealer goodwilled a chrome inner primary and whatever parts needed. The customer paid the labor since his bike was an 06 FXD35 and was out of warraty.

So basically the customer got the the parts for the cost of labor(which was a wash)

Old 07-27-2010, 08:29 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

HDTech, I can respect your position but saying the moco goodwilled this and the dealer goodwilled that seems to be a little arrogant.

The flaw is design based, not customer based. The moco should cover it 100%. The customer should not had to pay a dime to repair a design that someone at the moco, who probably gets paid very well to do, screwed up.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:41 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default IPB failures

The IPB failure has been an issue on more than its share of HD models. One member who I got info from has noted the crappy machining of the tranny sleeve or race. I have a hard time believing the doweled trans case is the actaul fix. The Baker bearing upgrade has been reported of over 30k miles so far with no doweled trans cases.

If the MOCO wants to be so generous,they need to GOODWILL me a new stator/rotor/IPB out of pocket labor included!! It will be a cold day in he#@ before I pay a MOCO monkey to wrench on my bike. Especially considering after the inflated labor rate I can buy a Screamin Eagle compensator/updated stator and a Baker IP for 50 bux more than their goodwill labor BS...

Old 07-27-2010, 09:40 PM
X90
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
Isn't the infamous IPB problem caused by a faulty design in the primary? I seem to remember reading where the 07+ cases are doweled which disables the case from moving thereby limiting IPB failure. If you didn't do that, I suspect you may have a problem anyway. Just sayin.
My original bearing looked fine, but decided to upgrade the bearing when I was in the primary. Like others have said, doweled cases on Dynas and other models have failed, while initially, the Bakers seems to be holding up.

Waiting for the bearing fail, only to have the dealer replace it with the same bearing, and to wait for it to fail one or two times more before they replace the cases, and possibly could fail again with the dowels, doesn't make sense to me.

I'll take my chances with the baker all day long. I'll let everyone know if it fails.

Last edited by X90; 07-27-2010 at 10:21 PM. Reason: I can't spell, damn it!
Old 07-27-2010, 10:12 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Default I agree

Can I get an amen? I am so bent about having to buy over 300 bux in parts just to fix a known issue. This is my first HD and I must say even though I love my bike I am highly dissapointed. Especially after all my buddies tried for 6 months to persuade me against buying a HD in the first place. So I am gonna bite the bullet and fix it and move on. When people ask me about HD I will say to them that they better know how to wrench on them or buy somethin else.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:39 PM
HDTech74
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. but that's what happened in this instance. I would think if the customer had called the MOCO himself he probably could have gotten the whole job payed for by the MOCO.
I also think just doing the bearing is a band aid fix.
I'll see if I can't get my hands on the service bulletin.
If it's not a recall the customer pays( I myself would bitch and bitch and bitch until they got so tired of hearing from me they'd just pay for the job to shut me up)

Old 07-27-2010, 10:52 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Good Man HD TECH

Good man. Nice to have someone on the inside agree. I like people who speak the truth.

Quick Reply: 2006 Dyna Inner Primary Bearing Failure - Another Unhappy Customer's Story