Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to change the Rocker Boxes on your Dyna - How To

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 05:46 PM
elkins20
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is way late...

Originally Posted by Janie Chandler Dixon
Do you have to remove the intake to replace the rocker box gaskets?
Nope on removing the intake...

Old 05-12-2016, 05:52 PM
elkins20
Stage IV

I found it and it is a great write up. I have a 2006 softail deuce with a little leaks around both front and rear rocker box upper and lower units. So have removed the fuel tank and will be doing this tomorrow. Thanks for the info. Just a little uneasy about finding TDC.. But, will do as the Service Manuel suggests place bike in fifth gear and turn the wheel until the rocker arms are at lowest point and springs are at rest.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:54 PM
sM319
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, I have an issue with the exhaust pushrod not moving after the reinstall.
I started with the rear cyclinder. Everything seemed easy enough when reinstalling
the rocker support arms. Went down easy enough, didn't have to force anything.
Waited 15 mins and checked pushrods for movement, intake moved but the exhaust pushrod after a few hrs. still, isn't moving.

Took it back off and back on again, the same issue.
Could it be that I am not at TDCompression and at TDcenter is why I am having this issue?

So if I was to take off the rocker support again, could I try to find my base circle by just watching my two pushrods verifying they are at the same height and sticking a straw into cylinder verifying piston is at near top?

Thanks for any replies.
2011 Ultra Limited 103

Last edited by sM319; 10-09-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:55 PM
jmd897
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sM319
Ok, I have an issue with the exhaust pushrod not moving after the reinstall.
I started with the rear cyclinder. Everything seemed easy enough when reinstalling
the rocker support arms. Went down easy enough, didn't have to force anything.
Waited 15 mins and checked pushrods for movement, intake moved but the exhaust pushrod after a few hrs. still, isn't moving.

Took it back off and back on again, the same issue.
Could it be that I am not at TDCompression and at TDcenter is why I am having this issue?

So if I was to take off the rocker support again, could I try to find my base circle by just watching my two pushrods verifying they are at the same height and sticking a straw into cylinder verifying piston is at near top?

Thanks for any replies.
2011 Ultra Limited 103

Could be a lifter that seized. Is it stock pushrods or adjustable?

The following users liked this post:
sM319 (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 05:13 PM
sM319
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, I bought my bike 2011 Ultra Limited salvaged and fixed it up and got it inspected.
It had screamneagle airl filter and 2into1 vance and hines exhaust.
JMD - I now realize I must have different cams as I have adjustable push rods.

So I took them all out and readjusted them and bike runs fine again.

Sounds the same but good to ride.

So putting these Rockouts in for me did not quiet the bike and my rocker assembly bolts had no wear.
Mechanic told me with the bigger cams I may not get rid of the noise.

Old 11-25-2017, 05:15 PM
Jegnatoski
Stage I
Default Helppppp!!!

was working on a buddies bike and we had the rockers off. Well he ended up turning the rear tire while they were off so the valves were not moving with the rest of the motor obviously. What do I need to do to get this right so I can install a cam in it and new pushrods. We’re taking it down to get everything powder coated and now I’m worried the motor was turned without the rockers on. Thank you for anyone that can help or has input

Old 12-30-2018, 01:10 PM
Rocking_it
Road Master
Received 1,204 Likes on 421 Posts

Bookmarked for upcoming project.

Old 01-03-2019, 05:53 AM
MMH
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by jousley
3) Next place the rocker arm support plate in the rocker housing.. ENSURE that it seats nicely on the push rods. Install the four bolts for the rocker arm support plate, tightening to 18-22 ft lbs, alternating bolts a couple of turns in the following order:
4. 2. (throttle side)
1. 3.

Some users have suggested tightening the four bolts alternatively to about half-way - then wait 15 minutes, then to about 3/4 of the way, then wait 15 mins, then all the way and wait 15 mins. This is to ensure that the lifters are given ample time to bleed down. What I did was install the rocker arm support plate and then just waited an hour or so to ensure they had time. DO NOT MOVE ONTO THE FRONT CYLINDER UNTIL YOU HAVE GIVEN AMPLE TIME FOR THE LIFTERS TO BLEED DOWN - AND CHECK THEM VIA THE FOLLOWING!!!
This is very, very important. First time I did this I did not wait and was convinced that my push rods were jammed up because I could not spin them.

The following users liked this post:
davidwideglide06 (08-27-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 05:15 AM
davidwideglide06
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Great information

What a great write up. Just did this over the weekend, and this definitely gave me the confidence to do. Thanks!

Old 02-07-2021, 08:27 AM
Rocking_it
Road Master
Received 1,204 Likes on 421 Posts

Was thinking of using loctite pictured for this project but not sure. Will the parts need to be heated if I ever need to remove them in the future? Why isn’t that the case for the OEM parts also? Thanks for your input.

Last edited by Rocking_it; 02-07-2021 at 08:35 AM.

Quick Reply: How to change the Rocker Boxes on your Dyna - How To