Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NY to LA on a Street Bob

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 10:42 AM
Birdman2778
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default NY to LA on a Street Bob

Was wondering if anybody else on here has rode their Dyna cross-country? If so, was hoping somebody could give some tips on what to bring or what to expect that I might be overlooking.

Myself and a friend of mine will be leaving Long Island, NY the 1st week of May and heading to Chicago. From there we will be picking up Rte 66 & heading west. After spending a couple of days on the left coast, we were gonna head back on the interstate. Took off 3 weeks from work, figuring this should give us plenty of time.

I have picked up a backrest, windshield, throw-over saddle bags, and a T-bag. Also going to throw together a tool kit, some tire repair kits, and few other items that might be of some use along the way (qt. of oil, a gal. of gas, etc...). Also got rain gear, chaps, extra gloves, and glasses (just in case).

Can anybody recommend a good seat for this trip? Right now I have a LaPera Silouhette. That's not gonna cut it, though. A few people told me about the Air Hawk, but I'm not too keen on that idea.

Also, is there anything else that would be a good idea to bring? And is it safe to plan on about 400 miles a day (maybe 500 occasionally)?

thanks for any input. And if anybody is along the way and has some spots they think are a must-see, that would be great. Beers are on me for the help.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:45 AM
man4mopar
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Personaly the 2 biggest things for me on long distance rides are the back rest and tunes. I travel pretty light, a filled extra large bikers friend bag that I mount to the rear seat and acts as a back rest. Tunes now come from my GPS mounted on front bars.
The GPS has proven worth gold too since caught in some storms in the middle of no where and it has found hotels, gas stations etc I would never have found on the path I was heading.
I never bring tools but a cell phone and credit card, only had to use the card once. I have ridden from MN to the west coast once and to the east coast twice.
I have a C&C touring seat and love it. I usualy do 500-600 mile days when doing long trips, easily recovered from after a nights rest and ready to do again the next day. I have done over a 1k miles with home being the end point.
Gear I bring is 2 pair of pants, 2 tshirts, heavy shirt, long underwear, 3 pair of socks/underwear, camera, hiking shoes and rain gear. All fits in the bikers friend and is on/off the bike in less then a minute.

That is what works for me but we are all different so may not work for you. Sounds like you have it pretty well figured out though.

Have a great trip

Old 12-15-2009, 11:49 AM
davescreation
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey man just my input dont forget a camera

Old 12-15-2009, 12:52 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you ridden your scoot with the windshield on at highway speeds yet? Want to be sure you resolve any buffeting issues you may have before you begin the trip.

Oh yea..Seat- Mustang vintage wide or send to Mean City Cycles...IMO

Old 12-15-2009, 01:16 PM
Birdman2778
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

No, i never rode with a windshield on it. I've read other posts about that issue and will try and work all that out before we go. Would hate to have that problem after getting started.

A camera I will definitely bring. My friend will have one too. He's like a Japanese tourist with that thing, so at least there will be a bunch of pics.

I have every intention of packing light. Maybe 4-5 days worth of clothes, tops. My buddy has a Street Glide so we plan on loading that thing up like a pack mule. I think we got most of it down but it's always a good idea IMHO to ask people with experience.

Thanks for the help guys. If anyone has any daughters or sisters within 30 miles of 66, might be a good idea to keep them inside the 1st 2 weeks of May haha!!!

Old 12-15-2009, 01:25 PM
arkieollie
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the advice above is good. I have a Sundowner seat which is great for me. I also have a Nelson Rigg RAINPROOF bag. Why have a bag if it is not rainfproof I always ask? The Nelson Rigg has two separate bags and I pack my rainsuit in the smaller one on top so I can get to it in a hurry (which has happened on more than one occasion). I also have a Garmin 450 and a mp3 player. You might want to do some research on helmet laws if you don't normally wear one and see what states require them. One last thing....sunblock.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:35 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by arkieollie
The Nelson Rigg has two separate bags and I pack my rainsuit in the smaller one on top so I can get to it in a hurry (which has happened on more than one occasion).
Ah yes, a rain suite. That's a must have. Good call arkieollie!

Old 12-15-2009, 01:48 PM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Ibuprofen...roll of toilet paper...?

Old 12-15-2009, 02:17 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

I questioned my sanity when I spent $150 on a HD rain suit - until I needed it of course! Not only has it kept me dry, but it acts a windbreaker when needed. I can name two trips where it served as an extra layer of clothing allowing me to get my butt home. I won't leave for along trip without my detachable windshield either...

TIP: My last trip to the mountains I packed old t-shirts and underwear that I disposed of along the way. My riding buds thought I was crazy. Freed up valuable space to be used for souvenirs or just to lighten the load.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:00 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

hey birdman, where are you leaving from on LI?

Quick Reply: NY to LA on a Street Bob