Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid vs Narrow Glide front end

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 11:33 AM
miketedesco
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Mid vs Narrow Glide front end

Does anyone know the difference in width (on center) of a 39mm narrow glide front end (05 FXDX) and a 49mm mid glide front end (08 FXDB)?

I am pondering something (thats what happens when I sit in Iraq with nothing to do)...tell me what you think.

I am thinking about using a set of mid glide 49mm front trees (I actually want the integrated risers) with 39mm tubes and sliders. I would so this by having my local machine shop make me a set of bushings with a 39mm ID and 49mm OD that are the thickness of the tree itself with a slice down the side. This would allow me to install these onto the forks then into the 49mm trees. I could then get rid of the ugly top mounted headlight, sloppy looking upper tree and mount a set of mini apes flush to the trees.

I am aware that I would need a longer axle and do some custom work down there, but thats all easy.

Maybe I am just thinking stupid here...

Old 12-29-2009, 11:47 AM
thomaskray
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the mid glide is 8 and 5/8" whereas the narrow is 6 and 5/8"

At least that's what is quoted on some websites that offer mid glide conversion kits.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:21 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think a mid glide conversion kit would be better. Accutronix and custom cycle engineering make good ones with everything you would need for the conversion.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:59 PM
miketedesco
Tourer

But its not really the midglide i want so bad, its more just a cleaned up upper tree and the integrated risers. I have a set of mini apes sitting in my garage that I bought cheap on craigslist and I am just dieing to put them on one of our bikes...and my drag bars look cooler on my softail anyway. I could even deal with a set of stubby 1" risers, but I'm just being too cheap to just go buy a set of cleaner looking 39mm narrow glide trees. 08 Street Bob trees are dirt cheap, they include the risers and its already set for a bottom mount headlight.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:08 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by miketedesco
But its not really the midglide i want so bad, its more just a cleaned up upper tree and the integrated risers. I have a set of mini apes sitting in my garage that I bought cheap on craigslist and I am just dieing to put them on one of our bikes...and my drag bars look cooler on my softail anyway. I could even deal with a set of stubby 1" risers, but I'm just being too cheap to just go buy a set of cleaner looking 39mm narrow glide trees. 08 Street Bob trees are dirt cheap, they include the risers and its already set for a bottom mount headlight.
yeah but the spacers and such will be needed to fit the mid glide, along with a new axle. You end up paying about as much to convert(or more) as you do to just get some new trees. A axle is over 100 bucks then you need the spacer for the brake disc as well as spacers for the wider front. IMHO I think you should drill your bottom tree and get the trim plate that Harley puts on the sportster custom(which runs your trees with a bottom mount light). The trim plate is cheap and you can go to H-D website and look at the customs to see what I mean. The Harley plate flows a lot better than the headwinds one too. Then you can get the trees and plate powdercoated black.

Last edited by rounder; 12-29-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:11 PM
CountryPunk
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove the top tree and grind off the visor mounts. Then you can spend some more time on the grinder cleaning up and rounding off all the sharp edges/corners on the top and bottom tree. Finish it off by polishing up to a nice shine and drilling the lower tree for a bottom mount headlight. Nothing to it, just takes a little time and elbow grease. Best of all, it's free with the exception of buying a new headlight. The only other issue is your riser problem. You can either run some simple short risers like Biltwell sells, or have some custom chimps fabbed up with built-in threaded risers. Pretty standard stuff you're dealing with and you're not looking at much money.

http://www.biltwellinc.com/risers.php

Built-In risers, no biggie:

http://frontstcycle.blogspot.com/

Before:

After a little elbow grease and a Lot of grinding:

If the pics don't show up, here is a link:
http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...3265&showall=1

Last edited by CountryPunk; 12-30-2009 at 07:54 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:16 AM
miketedesco
Tourer

Ok, so I think maybe using midglide trees may be more hassle than its worth.

Can anyone tell me if this will work on a superglide?

http://www.arlenness.com/p-1587-xl-t...up-polish.aspx

I know both bikes use 39mm trees and are narrowglide front ends, what other differences would there be?

Old 12-30-2009, 08:02 AM
CountryPunk
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not going to match your bottom tree and I don't know if all the other components are the same between the FXD and XL. (bearings, stem size, etc...)

Old 12-30-2009, 08:20 AM
miketedesco
Tourer

Do you mean it wont match astetically? I know it doesnt match perfectly, but it appears to match pretty well. I was planning on painting the trees black anyway, so they will probably match pretty well once the top and bottom are both black.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:10 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

I think the ness top tree will work fine. the xl and dyna are the same 39mm trees except the lowrider had rake in it's trees.

Quick Reply: Mid vs Narrow Glide front end