Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjusting my Apes, FXDWG

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 10:54 PM
rap87
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adjusting my Apes, FXDWG

I'd like to move my apes a bit more forward than they are now. Right now they are completely even with the forks and I would prefer them pushed out a bit more, so I can let my arms extend out. It seems all I have to do is loosen up the allen bolts on the stock risers...are they torqued on like hell? and is there anything I should be aware of before I start? Lastly anyone know the highest riser you can put on the bike and use stock cables? Thanks.

Ryan.

Old 07-25-2006, 10:58 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default RE: Adjusting my Apes, FXDWG

Ryan,

All you have to do is loosen the four bar clamp bolts and move the bars where ever you want them. I suggest you put a blanket over the tank before you start. It is possible that when you loosen the clamp that the bars will swing down and hit the tank. Plus the blanket will protect the tank in case you happen to drop a tool.

Regards,

Bill

Old 07-25-2006, 11:05 PM
hd_sob
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pushed mine slightly forward too and, surprisingly, mine weren't very tight to begin with. I didn't loosen the bolts completely, just kept loosening each one a little at a time making sure there was still enuff force to hold them up, but just loose enuff to move them. Then I tightened the $hit out of 'em when I was done.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:24 PM
murphdog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DON'T tighten the $hit out of them. They're only 5/16-18 screws, you can damage the fasteners or the risers if you overtighten them. Plus you can crack the chrome on the clamp. Snug up the front screws so there's no gap between the clamp and risers, then tighten the back ones to 12-15 ft-lb. Use blue locktite.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:31 PM
hd_sob
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: murphdog
DON'T tighten the $hit out of them.
Too late, but I'll keep that in mind when I put the fatties on...

Old 07-25-2006, 11:32 PM
rap87
Tourer

K...and how much do torque wrenches cost...I'm pretty **** when it comes to my bike and stuff like this...but I don't have any of these torque wrenches, so I know when I'm perfect...otherwise this seems like its pretty easy .

Old 07-25-2006, 11:39 PM
murphdog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

12-15 ft-lbs is just a little more than snug when using a common allen wrench. This whole torque thing is really overrated unless you're putting an engine together. Snug 'em up and then give the wrench another little pull. Loctite is important.

Old 07-26-2006, 12:04 AM
mud
muderator
Received 8,771 Likes on 2,063 Posts

ORIGINAL: rap87

I'd like to move my apes a bit more forward than they are now. Right now they are completely even with the forks and I would prefer them pushed out a bit more, so I can let my arms extend out. It seems all I have to do is loosen up the allen bolts on the stock risers...are they torqued on like hell? and is there anything I should be aware of before I start? Lastly anyone know the highest riser you can put on the bike and use stock cables? Thanks.

Ryan.
Ryan, put some masking tape on the bars, and the riser clamp.

Mark each of these so you know where you started and how far you move them.

Move em. tighten. ride.

Move again if necessary or to try another position.

If you change them more than just a little, you will also want to change position of the grips, etc.

mud

Old 07-26-2006, 12:33 AM
PsTaN
Road Master

Very good advice to follow here from Mud. I rolled my SG bars up around a month ago and marked everything off..... test-rode til I got to where I wanted. Then went back and re-adjusted my controls and directionals to the proper settings. Am running Buckhorns with the rise perpendicular to the ground and grips almost parallel to the ground. I'm actually looking at a bar change now cause I still want my hands a little higher .... maybe put some straight risers on and keep the bucks. Been looking at these two sets of bars.

Sweepers

High Rise Bucks

PsTaN
ORIGINAL: mudpuddle

ORIGINAL: rap87

Ryan.
Ryan, put some masking tape on the bars, and the riser clamp.

Mark each of these so you know where you started and how far you move them.

Move em. tighten. ride.

Move again if necessary or to try another position.

If you change them more than just a little, you will also want to change position of the grips, etc.

mud

Old 07-26-2006, 01:13 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Do you have a picture of the bike with the bucks on it? I put buckhorns on my Sportster and really liked them. I'm considering them for my Low Rider.

Quick Reply: Adjusting my Apes, FXDWG