Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jag 10 gotta move, tru track acoming

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 08:42 PM
GameShark
Intermediate
Location: Southern Ca, 5 miles north of the Santa Monica Mtns
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Jag 10 gotta move, tru track acoming

Been wanting engine mount stabilizers quite some time on my FXDC05. Hold up was the 10 row jag oil cooler setup on the front engine mount bolts. Cooler significantly reduces oil temperature. Installed it for the Southern California heat and that jag needed to keep cooling the oil.
Appreciating the cooler oil but not the loose handling on corners plus many positive posts for true track on this forum, I just bought it, figuring somehow I'll get both on the front of the bike.

Pulled off the Jag 10 row, tied hoses up and out of the way and mounted the front true track to the directions.

Modified the mount for the oil cooler as shown here. Opening the angle was the hard part here. It's some stout metal on that mount, I couldn't get it off the cooler and did not have a press. Got a little lucky with a large vise and big hammer, success without damaging the cooler. I would not advise my methods, find a press.

Drilled modified cooler mount, drilled and tapped the true trak for 1/4 x 20, with bottoming tap. (no through bolts). Mitered the holes in oil mount and top of true track and utilized flat head bolts for clearance.

Here they are together, no through bolts kept the install clean.

Yes, I know. The warranty on both, gone.
The holes in the true track mount could weaken the bracket, my opinion, plenty of meat there and I'm not concerned

Here's the rear stabilizer mounted. I am not happy with the clearance between mount and connection arm, did not want to weaken connection by adding washers to increase clearance on right side, so ran as shown. The brake switch needed to be pushed up and forward for clearance and the brake switch wires are close. Have ridden 500M and a review shows no damage or change.

Here's the final product. Full compression of forks shows sufficient clearance for fender and front wheel.

The bike with stabilizers is much improved. Tracks better through all corners, tight or sweeping long if the speed is pushed any bit over just cruisin'.

I've seen the question about vibration post true track install and can say my bike didn't vibrate much before and less now.

Also installed some Ricor Itiminators at the same time, that may be helping in the corners, but I'm happy with them for what they do when passing quickly over an abrupt depression (such as the large storm drainage gutters we have here in SC at some intersections) No "bang" as the forks don't bottom out and I get to stay in my seat a little more. They do stiffen up the front forks, a little less plush with a better feel for the road. Are they worth the costs? Good question, I can't answer, but mine are staying, as I like what they do.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:11 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the write up!!

I almost bought the same cooler and planned to do almost identical mount mods
to clear my True-Track. After having a phone conversation with Jag, I instead went
with the 10 row vertical mount listed for the FLH series, but not shown for the Dyna.
I haven't installed it yet, but I have trial fitted it and it will work fine for mid controls,
but will require careful oil line routing to clear the shifter arm on forward controls.

FWIW, the frame mounts need to be swapped for the different diameter and
the oil line in the kit will not be long enough for bikes with forward controls.

Looking at your photo with the cooler installed, but the lines disconnected, they're
sitting a bit above where the side mounted cooler's lines will run below the angle
of the shifter arm.

Last edited by Mike Horrell; 02-17-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:45 PM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 345 Likes on 175 Posts

True-track must be doing good business this week. I ordered one today for an 05 dyna superglide. Luckily my Lockhart oil cooler is mounted on the downtubes under the steering head and i have a front spoiler that will hide the front true-track bracket. Man, that thing's ugly. I already have adjustable damping rear shocks and FXDX adjustable forks. We'll see what the true-track does in a couple weeks.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:12 PM
Glydiator
Tourer

thats a great job man...nice work.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:14 AM
Hickey
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well done!

Old 02-18-2010, 04:16 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by truckerdave
True-track must be doing good business this week. I ordered one today for an 05 dyna superglide. Luckily my Lockhart oil cooler is mounted on the downtubes under the steering head and i have a front spoiler that will hide the front true-track bracket. Man, that thing's ugly. I already have adjustable damping rear shocks and FXDX adjustable forks. We'll see what the true-track does in a couple weeks.
Had TrueTrack kits on both my bikes for two years now. It is the only way to travel!

Truckerdave,

I am interested to see a pic of your front spoiler. You are right about the front bracket being an eyesore, but I haven't found anything that will fit over it.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:31 AM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

Love the True Track. I'll never take mine off. Great job on the install with the oil cooler!

Old 04-23-2010, 10:39 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Excellent write up, idea with the cooler, and pics.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:17 PM
harley_jeff
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Did you have to move the voltage regulator? The Jagg is bigger than the H-D cooler, and I cannot figure out how that is going to mount above and slightly behind the T-T bracket.
I notice the H-D kit instructions show a relocation bracket for the voltage regulator. It must shift it up at least an inch just to fit the H-D cooler. The Jagg 10 row cooler probably will need more room. I am thinking I will get the H-D kit just because the cooler is smaller and will more easily fit above the T-T, if I can figure out how to shift the regulator and electrical caddy out of the way.