Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering the front end (part2)

Old 02-22-2010, 10:28 AM
Yldtang
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering the front end (part2)

I saw in the other topic about sliding the tubes up the trees about an inch. Has anyone here done this and if so what are the cons? Does it decrease the turn radius or increase the chance of high speed wobble? I don't want to lower the entire bike as my wife rides a lot. Any input would be appreciated and pictures would be nice. My bike is a 08 street bob. Thanks

Old 02-22-2010, 10:49 AM
tdshepard
Unsubscribed From Forum

I have mine up in the trees 1 inch. I have only been up to 110 like this but noticed no ill effects. I don't notice turning radius changes. Get a 45 torx, only 35 ft. lb torque, so easy to try.....
PICS https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...drag-bars.html

Last edited by tdshepard; 02-22-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:56 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

One of the guys I ride with bought a new Superglide Custom this summer. He wanted the bike lowered. The dealer suggested rear shocks and slide up the tubes in the trees. I figure if the dealer makes the suggestion, and happily did the work, it must be a pretty common practice. He seems to have no issues what so ever.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:29 AM
CountryPunk
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You won't hurt anything, give it a shot. It's temporary and free, what do you have to lose but a little time?

Old 02-22-2010, 11:33 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a picture of my 06 SUper Glide from last year when it had a Low Rider front end. The back end was lowered about 1.5 inches. The rake in the LR front end lowered the front a little. In addition, I raised the tubes almost an inch higher in the trees to level it out. Hopefully the pic will give you an idea of the look.

I never felt any ill effects and I've had this sucker up to almost 75 mph.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:39 AM
CountryPunk
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmpancoast
I've had this sucker up to almost 75 mph.
Huh?? That's the speed limit here!

Old 02-22-2010, 11:41 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its 70 here, but I ride hard!

Old 02-22-2010, 02:47 PM
gregbenner
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Raising the forks tubes will reduce the trail. Initially the bike will turn in quicker, which on a Dyna can be great. However, if you go to far it will become very unstable (think shopping cart).

This is a very common technique on sport bikes, although generally most would only change them by 1/16" at a time.

I have raised the rear of my 07 FWD by 3/4" with taller rear shocks (this has the same effect as lowering the front), and raised the tubes maybe 1/16".

Under full throttle acceleration, at around 90-95 (dragging a new vette) it started a gentle back and forth sway. Not a head shake, but I didn't stay in the throttle to see what might have happened. Now if I want to go that fast I take the Street Rod.

On some bikes, if you raise the tubes too far, the lower triple tree will hit the front fender under hard/abrupt braking (e.g. my Street Rod).

I would try it, but not an inch at a time. Put a jack under the frame so it doesn't drop too far when you loosen the pinch bolts.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:12 PM
PG13125
Cruiser

I just did it, 1". I like it, it's cheap and no problem when I rode the bike.

link: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...mods-pics.html

Last edited by PG13125; 02-22-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:59 PM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Help me understand. So do the tops of the fork tubes stick up above the top tree when this is done? I'm thinking you loosen the pinch bolts and basically let the bike drop down on the tubes, causing them to jut up above the top clamp, right? Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lowering the front end (part2)