Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spokes for 21" rim to hub/rim fitment for street bob

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 11:41 AM
DeltaDog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spokes for 21" rim to hub/rim fitment for street bob

Jireh has a 21"x3.25 rim and also sells spoke kits for a 21" wheel.
It does not specify the length of the spokes nor could they tell me the length when I called. My question.. Will this all work on my stock street bob hub?

Drag sells a spoke set another member on here posted that works with the Jireh rim, but they are almost 3 times the money.. So that's why I was curious to see why he would buy the rim from
Jireh but not the spokes.. Are all spokes for a 21" rim the same length (standard size)
thanks!

Last edited by DeltaDog; 03-03-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:45 PM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sportster spokes for the 21" wheel are what you need and YES they will lace up to your Street Bob hub.

There are hundreds of threads on this subject which you can review by using the search feature.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:40 PM
DeltaDog
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jmpancoast
Sportster spokes for the 21" wheel are what you need and YES they will lace up to your Street Bob hub.

There are hundreds of threads on this subject which you can review by using the search feature.
Lol the good ole "use the search button" reply
thanks for your reply.. How ever that doesn't answer my question entirely and I've looked (used the search button) with no luck understanding if the "Jireh" spokes they sale will fit. It's my understanding that certain spokes will fit a "aluminum" hub and then there are ones that fit a "steel" hub.
It's unclear if the spokes Jireh has are for 21" with a steel hub, or 21" aluminum hubs.. Now... I'm unsure if all year model bikes come standard now days with a aluminum or not.. Maybe I'm thinking way to much in to it.. My main concern is will they (Jireh spokes) work with my "aluminum" hub..

Just figured someone here might have went that route..

Old 03-03-2010, 05:48 PM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member

I know the spokes which will work on a 21" Sportster will also work on the FXD, FXDC, FXDB, and FXDL laced hubs, whether the hub is chrome or aluminum finished. There are 21" spokes which will only fit the WG type hub commonly found on WGs and Softails, but these will not work on the narrow or mid glide hubs.

I can help you with part numbers for spokes from several manufacturers. This information is also available in several posts. I can not help you with Jireh's part numbers as the descriptions on four or five of their spokes sets say pretty much the same thing. Maybe a part number and more details about the spoke set you looked at would help determine what they fit.

What hub do you have? Do you want chrome or stainless spokes? What is your budget for this mod?

My assumption, by your post and post count was that you were a newer, unfamiliar member, so I suggested use of the search feature. Keep in mind, the more details you offer in a post, the more details you can expect in the response.

If my info doesn't answer your questions, I am sure others will chime in.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:11 AM
DeltaDog
Cruiser

No problem! I completely understand the annoyance of repeat post, and questions. I have some experience in operating a discussion forum. I lurk in the back ground mainly, and have used this forum to do several difficult mod's to my bike. The only time I have sent my bike to a shop for them to do work was simply taking the wheel up there to have new rubber put on. It's all hands on for me, but not until I fully understand inside and out why and how..
The biggest issue when trying to find answers to questions, is most of the time, when people do a mod, they get all the parts together, and state they will be doing whatever it is they're doing and claim will update on how it goes, but fail to give the update. That along with so many different terms used for the same part/mod can get confusing. I now understand why sportster spokes are used, which spokes to use, where to get them etc. However, after several hours of searching, I believe there was only one post that had the complete information, and it was tucked away several pages back in the post. With the information I now have, I can type in 21" wheel for street bob in the search engine, and can better understand, and recognize the parts needed to do the mod.
Thanks again for your reply!
And to answer your question(s) I'll be going with the 40 spoke stainless sportster style (staggered) spoke kit, using the stock SB hub (aluminum not steel) using a ride right 21"x3.5 rim, and lacing it all up! Next month, with be doing the same thing to the rear, using a 18"x5.5 rim, laced with SS spoke kit to the stock hub... The only question there is.. will the stock spacers work with out modification if I use my stock hub.. My assumption is yes. but still not 100% on that, but I will search for it!

Originally Posted by jmpancoast
I know the spokes which will work on a 21" Sportster will also work on the FXD, FXDC, FXDB, and FXDL laced hubs, whether the hub is chrome or aluminum finished. There are 21" spokes which will only fit the WG type hub commonly found on WGs and Softails, but these will not work on the narrow or mid glide hubs.

I can help you with part numbers for spokes from several manufacturers. This information is also available in several posts. I can not help you with Jireh's part numbers as the descriptions on four or five of their spokes sets say pretty much the same thing. Maybe a part number and more details about the spoke set you looked at would help determine what they fit.

What hub do you have? Do you want chrome or stainless spokes? What is your budget for this mod?

My assumption, by your post and post count was that you were a newer, unfamiliar member, so I suggested use of the search feature. Keep in mind, the more details you offer in a post, the more details you can expect in the response.

If my info doesn't answer your questions, I am sure others will chime in.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:56 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member

If my advice is welcome, may I suggest going with Buchanan spokes. You are spending a fair amount of money on your mods, so it doesn't seem you are looking for the cheapest route.

Here is a list of the Buchanan spokes which will work for yoru front wheel build:

Part # Description Price
KHD902SZ H-D NARROW FR (1.60) to (2.15) x 21" S/Z $97.40
KHD902SS H-D NARROW FR (1.60) to (2.15) x 21" S/S $109.80
KHD902SS-1 H-D NARROW FR (1.60) to (2.15) x 21" S/S SPIRAL $213.80
KHD902SS-2 H-D NARROW FR (1.60) to (2.15) x 21" S/S OLD DIAMOND $213.80
KHD902SS-3 H-D NARROW FR (1.60) to (2.15) x 21" S/S RIPPLE $213.80
KHD902SS-4 H-D NARROW FR (1.60) to (2.15) x 21" S/S NEW DIAMOND $224.40
KHD902C H-D NARROW FR (1.60) to (2.15) x 21" CHRM $146.10
KHD902C-1 H-D NARROW FR (1.60) to (2.15) x 21" CHRM SPIRAL $193.10
KHD902C-3 H-D NARROW FR (1.60) to (2.15) x 21" CHRM RIPPLE $193.10
KHD902C-4 H-D NARROW FR (1.60) to (2.15) x 21" CHRM NEW DIAMOND $203.00

The stainless run 109.90 plus about another 60.00 to polish them.

You should be fine on the back wheel with the stock spacers using your OEM hub and the 18" x 5.5" hoop and a 180 tire. Any wider on the tire, you may find you need a spacer for the sprocket to gain clearance for the belt.

If you need help with the lacing, let me know. I have the lacing details from the factory manual I can send you.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:54 AM
CountryPunk
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jm, you really are the go-to guy on this board when it comes to lacing up these dynas. I respect your willingness to continue helping people understand this mod, even after posting up the info so many different times. Right on, man.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:12 AM
RonnR
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CountryPunk
Jm, you really are the go-to guy on this board when it comes to lacing up these dynas. I respect your willingness to continue helping people understand this mod, even after posting up the info so many different times. Right on, man.
Your right on there.. Especialy after the good ole "use the search button" commit.
Your a good man John, Thanks for all you do here on the forum...

Last edited by RonnR; 03-04-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:39 PM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the comments guys, but I don't know dick about Harleys without this forum.

Thanks to all who post info here!!!

Old 03-04-2010, 08:15 PM
DeltaDog
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RonnR
Your right on there.. Especialy after the good ole "use the search button" commit.
Your a good man John, Thanks for all you do here on the forum...
Some of you guys just kill me! LOL I guess I'm just not one for nonsense these days. I put up with enough of it while being a mod for a few of the racing forums back in the day.. Post whoring, key board warrior, Key board cowboy, flaming etc. I just dont have time for. So forgive my lack of patience when comments fly in reply to a question where someone is having trouble understanding the correct info and all they get is use the search, or others chimming in to throw a few slaps out there.. Seriously, my appologies! Its very difficult to under emotion in text! I'll be more patient next time.

John. Thank you very much! The info is greatly appreciated, and will go as you suggested with the Buchanan SS spokes. Thank you for your help! I agree with your statement about the forum. Before finally registering as a member, I used this forum for help with several mods ive completed. Everything from wiring, to motor mods, and even some of my own stuff. Ive got her just about done! I even do my own powder coating, and some for others in which i give this board credit for inspiring me to do so. Im a career firefighter of 13 years, but a fabricator by trade. Adding those two together, I think you will understand where my quest for the right information and why, comes from! LOL

Anything I can ever do for ya John let me know bro!
Thanks again

Quick Reply: Spokes for 21" rim to hub/rim fitment for street bob