Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

not happy with my paint job

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 07:56 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default not happy with my paint job

I have decided to sand down my tins and use different paint. I am doing the tins in a flat black paint. I had picked out duplicolor engine enamel. Excellent color of flat IMHO. Problem is for whatever reason I just can't get my paint on there smooth enough. It seems to be a problem with the paint and their primer as well. I have painted quite a few parts and bike with rattlecan before. Never run into this problem. Not sure what the problem is with duplicolor(paint or their nozzles they use) I do know I will never use their paint again. Anyways, I am going to have a paint shop mix me up some good urethane paint. I should have just done this in the first place like I had planned. Oh well, only out 15 bucks and a couple hours sand and paint time.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:11 AM
Pirate Boy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im in the process of painting my fairing ,front fender and saddle bags flat black. I refuse to pay the dealers $80 a pint for matching denim paint, What i found was a very very close match that was $30 a gallon . its called john deere blitz black. All total with there primer and reducer i have around $85 in everything. You can get it in quarts and save a few bucks but for a few extra dollars i have paint to play with :-)

I primerd everything last weekend ( high mill primer) and it seemed to flow nice and looks decent ( ya i know its just primer lol) I used no harder in it , i read ALOT of forum commets about using it VS not using it and decided not to. the john deere dealer said he would only use it if i did not have the drying time and not using it would let it more of a flater look .

Heres a few links about it
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...tz_Black_paint

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...tz_Black_paint

have fun with yours im off to wet sand then prep for paint :-)

Peace
Ride Safe

Old 03-20-2010, 08:29 AM
Yldtang
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tough luck rounder. I find myself having to redo some parts I've painted. I've learned not to skimp on paint and prep. I get over anxious sometimes when I'm rattlecanning. I know you know all of this and yours will turn out perfect. Good luck to ya and can't wait to see the finished product.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:41 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

I am in the process now of picking out a compressor and I think I am going to do it the professional way..with an HVLP gun and some good paint! I really need a compressor and have been wanting one forever... might as well get one now and do my bike up right. Not to mention the future uses.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:53 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

80% of paints finish is due to the prep work underneath it. Make sure what your painting is flat and smooth first. Prep work needs to be sanded and smoothed with 400 or 600 grit paper depending on what your top coating it with. Also, now that your gonna have a compressor, you can buy an actual paint gun to apply the top coat. Harbor Frieght sells cheap Chinese spray guns for 15 dollars. Believe it of not, they will work fantastic once or twice befor they go to $hit. Then just toss them in the garbage. Lastly, now that your gonna be able to spray it on, you can actually use cataylized paint products. There is simply no comparison between spray can bombs and actual two part paints that harden and resist things like gas and sunlight. You'll do fine this time around.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:32 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

Yeah, one thing though... the compressors needed to run a paint gun are huge! and expensive....looks like i will just go with the original plan...preval sprayer and good urethane paint. I can't shell out 700-800 bucks for a big enough compressor that will run a gun properly. Also there is a good chance I won't get any better results than with the preval sprayers anyways. Funny thing.... I thought flat would be easy... unfortunately it is actually difficult as I cant just lay on several coats of clear then wet sand and shine the surface for a smooth paint job... oh well...guess I'll live with a light orange peel.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:59 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Only you know what will make you happy.

Just a note before you give up on the compressor and spray gun idea. Don't let the "pros's" tell you what you can and can't paint with. I've painted a dozen motorcycles in my garage with a 300 dollar craftsman compressor thats only 26 gallons. Your not painting cars, small 15-25 gallon compressors are enough to spray motorcycle parts. You can often get a used one on craigs list cheap. And boy do they come in handy for other suff.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:01 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I was researching that Rounder...you need around 125psi. Heck, Walmart sells a 40gal compressor for like $250 that is capable of 125psi.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:04 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

@Bikerlaw...very cool pics.

See, anything is possible even on the cheap. I'm painting mine within the next week and at most I'll have invested is about $200 after I buy the paints. I do have use of some pro equipment so...Rounder, it can be done.

Got my tank stripped, dents fixed and primed for $100 from a local auto body guy. The stripper I was using (rustoleum aircraft remover) wasn't cutting through the clear coat at all. At least H-D didn't skimp on that.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:01 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

you do not need a big tank at all, i use a small one when i lay paint. thing is with flats you will not get that super snooooooth finish you get with a gloss. I always error on the side of caution, super light coats, cuts down on chances for orange peel and for runs

if it will help you decide here are some shots from the paint i did yesterday

Semi gloss laid, snapped pic while getting the clear ready

has a awesome finish to it, not all the way flat black and not all the way semi gloss

Quick Reply: not happy with my paint job