Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

low rider - carburetor leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 06:52 AM
ginger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low rider - carburetor leak

i noticed something blowing out from behind the air cleaner on my 2000 fxdl. once i removed the air cleaner i could see the leak was coming from what looks to be the bottom part of the carburetor in 2 spots. does this look like a simple fix or should i call the mechanic,lol? in other words, is it a simple seal or a carb rebuild? is this a common problem?i have attached a pic of the bottom of the carb.

i also attached a pic of a hose going to the top of the carburetor. can anyone tell me if this hose should have a clamp on it?

thanks in advance

Attached Thumbnails low rider - carburetor leak-p5063206a.jpg   low rider - carburetor leak-p5063213a.jpg  
Old 05-07-2010, 07:06 AM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet you have a accelerator pump diaphram that has a hole in it, as I did two weeks ago. Pull up the rubber boot on the shaft ( pic 1 top arrow ) turn the throttle and see if gas comes out where the boot was. If so and I bet it does, you need a new diaphram. EASY fix, remove the 3 phillips screws from the bottom of the pump housing and the diaphram is in your hand.

No clamp is correct, pic 2.

Fix the diaphram leak then see if all is well after. That oozing gas goes everywhere.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:49 AM
Nikon D700
Cruiser

Just replace the whole thing with a 42 Mikuni.....you won't believe the difference! Starts better, throttle response is better, idle is better. This is one mod you won't regret.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:02 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ginger
i noticed something blowing out from behind the air cleaner on my 2000 fxdl. once i removed the air cleaner i could see the leak was coming from what looks to be the bottom part of the carburetor in 2 spots. does this look like a simple fix or should i call the mechanic,lol? in other words, is it a simple seal or a carb rebuild? is this a common problem?i have attached a pic of the bottom of the carb.

i also attached a pic of a hose going to the top of the carburetor. can anyone tell me if this hose should have a clamp on it?

thanks in advance
My buddy had a similar problem and was similarly perplexed. I suggested he examine the float in the float bowl. For some reason, the adjustment likes to work itself loose and allow WAY too much gas into the float bowl. Sometimes, vice versa. Sometimes they'll go out of adjustment and your bike will die under load.

A simple adjustment and a cheap gasket later, he was all set.

Blind squirrel, meet acorn. Because that's about all I know, or want to know, about carburetors. Even if you need it rebuilt, it shouldn't be all that bad, cost-wise. Check around. A LOT. Carburetors are not rocket science to a skilled mechanic. I see no reason why an auto mechanic with a good background in carburetors can't do the same rebuild as a motorsickle mechanic.

Follow my advice at your own risk.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:56 PM
ginger
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Artlee
I bet you have a accelerator pump diaphram that has a hole in it, as I did two weeks ago. Pull up the rubber boot on the shaft ( pic 1 top arrow ) turn the throttle and see if gas comes out where the boot was. If so and I bet it does, you need a new diaphram. EASY fix, remove the 3 phillips screws from the bottom of the pump housing and the diaphram is in your hand.

No clamp is correct, pic 2.

Fix the diaphram leak then see if all is well after. That oozing gas goes everywhere.
thanks! great instructions. i took off the pump housing and sure enough, the diaphram is deteriorated badly. i just picked up the new one from harley and i realized that i didn't pay close enough attention when taking the old one off....does the screen face upwards or downwards? i'm about 90% sure it was facing the bottom...

Old 05-07-2010, 01:58 PM
ginger
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Nikon D700
Just replace the whole thing with a 42 Mikuni.....you won't believe the difference! Starts better, throttle response is better, idle is better. This is one mod you won't regret.
sure...got $400 i could borrow?

Old 05-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks! great instructions. i took off the pump housing and sure enough, the diaphram is deteriorated badly. i just picked up the new one from harley and i realized that i didn't pay close enough attention when taking the old one off....does the screen face upwards or downwards? i'm about 90% sure it was facing the bottom...
With the old diaphram I had, screen was down. The new diaphram I got was rubber on both sides.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:10 PM
ginger
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Artlee
With the old diaphram I had, screen was down. The new diaphram I got was rubber on both sides.
that's what i thought. mine does have rubber on each side but you can tell which side has the screen. i got it put back together and it idled fine it's nice to be able to save about $100 worth of labor!!! thanks for your help.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Nikon D700
Cruiser

sure...got $400 i could borrow?
LOL....sure just stop by.....large bills or small?

Old 05-07-2010, 10:20 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,307 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Pic 2 is the cable housing for the fuel enrichener cable (choke).