Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Duals on a Low Rider??

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 10:28 AM
Brianh898
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King Duals on a Low Rider??

I've been searching high and low for a set of duals for my Low Rider. I'm wanting to build a sled, but I don't like the look of the single sided exhaust on this type of bike. I though about trying to make a set of Road King pipes fit. I know I can make it work, but what are my other options, and any pictures with this done would help.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:34 AM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 822 Likes on 478 Posts

posting this just to see if anything comes up
personally i can't imagine it would look good , but you never know

Old 05-18-2010, 03:30 PM
LoganSt
5th Gear

I've never seen one with those pipes.

But I'm guessing that would be easier to build one from scratch.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:48 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Brian - I don't think Road King (touring-type) true duals will work on a Dyna ... they might, but I have serious doubts for the following reasons:

- primary drive enclosure is different on a touring bike ... a little shorter from front to rear and a little taller (just judging by the looks of them ... but I do not believe they are interchangeable with Dyna) ....

- shape of the rear section of the frame ... I believe the touring models have more clearance above and aft of the transmission ... and therefore that the rear pipe actually uses that space ... (i.e., since the touring pipe 'fills up' the space behind the rear cylinder, it would be too big to fit in the space aft of the Dyna's rear cylinder) ....

Now ... not all bad, from my analysis ... I believe the Softail-style true duals will work with the Dyna models ... have I tried it ...? No ... therefore, it's all untested conjecture ... but ...

- the primary case is the same (well, used to be ... still same shape and dimensions I believe) ...

- there's not much room aft of the Softail rear cylinder, so I think the first bend 'economizes' on space ... I think it would be 'small enough' to fit the comparable space on a Dyna model ....

Of course there's a catch ... the support brackets made for the Softail pipe won't work with a Dyna ... (counterbalanced motor, 88/96 "B" series allows Softail models to mount to the frame ... whereas Dyna models require that the pipes mount to the motor/trans assembly to ensure pipes won't be shaken apart ....

If you don't personally possess the skills to fab hanging brackets for the pipes and mufflers, you might be able to find the talent at a local muffler shop, or ask around ....

If I had a greater personal interest in true duals, I may have already 'blazed this trail' for you ... but, I'm more of a theoretical believer in the superiority of 2-into-1 pipes for most street applications ....

Go for it ...! Post your results ... good luck!

R/
'Chop

p.s. Vance and Hines makes a set for the 88" twin cam that retail in '10 Fat Book (Drag Specialties) page 222, for $679.95 part number 1800-0528 ... $20 more for the 96" twin cam; Samson's are a couple hundred dollars more, but I believe include the fishtail tips (page 269 - 271) ....

Last edited by SURFOR Chop; 05-18-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:50 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Excellent answer. I too looked everywhere for two sided duals for a Dyna and came up empty. But if its a MUST HAVE part, any custom exhaust shop could fab up a set for a price, starting with your pipes to cut the head mounts off of. Then, you would have to buy mufflers and have the pipes sent to a chrome shop. Finally you would need to make mounting brackets. By the time your done your probablly looking at a spending a grand. But if its what you want............

Old 05-18-2010, 06:55 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

I believe the Softail true dual kits come with a 'bent' (L-shaped) shifter rod, because the left side exhaust comes out just forward and below the coil ... so, the shift lever has to go under the pipe ... I think the pipe runs along the top/back side of the primary cover ... might be able to fashion a mount on the passenger foot-peg if you have an '05 or earlier model, else probably have to bolt a mount to the primary cover bolts ....

You've got me interested now ... I think I'll try to find a FLSTS (Springer) with true duals and examine the bracket ... maybe they have a good diagram on bikebandit dot com ....

R/
'Chop

Old 05-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Lama
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The Touring model mufflers hang from the saddlebag mounts, and wayyy back there to boot.

I think modified brackets on Softail true duals would be the best bet.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:27 PM
U-234
Road Warrior

Do it. Take lots of pics. I want a pipe under each bag too.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:15 PM
Brianh898
Stage II

Thanks for all the help and ideas guys. I'm going for it! I'll post pics ASAP!

Old 05-20-2010, 10:15 AM
LoganSt
5th Gear

I'm sure it will look awesome!

Don't forget to post pics.

Quick Reply: Road King Duals on a Low Rider??