Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Bobber new horns and homemade luggage rack.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 02:14 PM
YourOldDog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Bobber new horns and homemade luggage rack.

I am more concerned with safety then how my bike looks. When they pull you out of someones side door you probably will feel the same way. Years ago I put a set of Fiam electyric horns made in Italy on my 750 Kaw and used to get the One Finger Salute nearly everytime I had to use it. It worked perfectly. I just made up a bracket that mounts the two horns on opposite ends about 12 inches apart. I t'd a very short bracket bent at about 30 degrees in the middle and it mounts to the top bolt on the crash bars. I added a horn relay and ran some 12 gauge stranded wire from the battery to a fuse, under the gas tank to the front where the horns and relay mount. This mount positions the horns one on each side of the front wheel, out in the clear and pointing forward.

The next project was a large luggage rack. I enjoy flea marketing and garage sales. Problem was it was too hard to carry anything home. I don't ride double up so I wanted to maximize my carrying space. I built this rack out of 1/2 & 3/8's cold rolled steal and MIGed it together. I painted it with a rattle can but imagine I'll have to do the powder coat process to get a durable finish. I made it out of 1/2 on the sides because I plan to make a back rest for an upright back to mout to and for me to lean on. I want it to come off with no tools. I also welded on a tab for a Ham radio or CB antenna. For now, I'm just happy to have the rack on it.

(I know it's uuugly but it works for what I want and mine ain't no show bike! At 64 years old my show off days are over

Last edited by YourOldDog; 05-18-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:10 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

Nice job on that rack, it looks very practical and like it'll hold quite a bit of stuff. Hey, if those horns work for you that's what matters. They sure look like they do the job. I don't think they look bad but I'm over 60 and I know what you mean. The money you saved you can put towards the backrest.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:33 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I like those horns. A good "wake 'em up" blast never hurt anyone, and probablly saved more people from wrecks. The luggage rack covers where the back seat goes. Wheres the pretty girls gonna sit???

Old 05-18-2010, 05:25 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,829 Likes on 1,209 Posts

I like it, hope I have your energy when I grow up.

Mike

Old 05-18-2010, 07:25 PM
SuperFastGlide
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ive never used my horn lol

Old 05-18-2010, 09:02 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm loving the luggage rack, it looks about a million times more practical than the Motherwell that I don't even use anymore.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:15 AM
YourOldDog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
....................... Wheres the pretty girls gonna sit???
She ain't! In the past few years I've had two serious ankle injuries and I can't trust my ankles with a rider when I'm stopped. So I ride El Lobo

Old Mike, thanks, I'm having some health issues and feeling pretty useless, nice to hear the kind words. Feel like I grew old overnight.

SuperFastGlide well I thought about growing a super bad FuManChu gotee but the wife said no. Look bad enough and you don't need no stink'en badges or horns ! LOL

Special Ed, I have the short Motherswell but I'll be selling it. To my mind, it's pretty much for show only as it wasn't very practical for my needs.

Thanks everyone and have a safe riding season.