Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting 39mm narrow glide to 49mm mid glide question

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 02:16 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Converting 39mm narrow glide to 49mm mid glide question

Considering doing a custom performance front end which would among other things involve converting the 39mm narrow glide to a 49mm mid glide.

Bike is a 2000 FXDL. Seems to me it should work fine, but does anyone see any problems with this conversion due to changes in the frame or steering head used in 2000 compared to what's used today?

Old 05-20-2010, 02:33 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I converted to a 41mm front end and the dimensions worked as far as height from top to bottom ...

However, that said, I believe the height has changed slightly in '06-later models by about 1/8" maybe ...

When converting to 41mm front end ackman1968 (Rick Miller) said he had to shim his by approximately that amount ... so, that leads me to believe the 49mm front end height (distance between upper and lower triple trees) is slightly less than pre-'06 models ... don't think it is an insurmountable problem, though ....

R/
'Chop

Old 05-20-2010, 07:54 PM
GeorgeJ
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigdaddy33
Considering doing a custom performance front end which would among other things involve converting the 39mm narrow glide to a 49mm mid glide.

Bike is a 2000 FXDL. Seems to me it should work fine, but does anyone see any problems with this conversion due to changes in the frame or steering head used in 2000 compared to what's used today?
I did the conversion on an 2001 FXD (so my rake is 28 degrees) The low is a bit more. Anyway my conversion went great. Bought the trees from a forum member and the forks from Harley. Here's a link to my process. I'm out on the island as well (Saint James).

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...t-to-past.html

GEorge

Old 05-20-2010, 09:15 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 440 Likes on 246 Posts

Being my own best customer I am well under way in doing it myself on my 2005 Dyna. I am using dual disk forks, OEM fork tubes (49 mm) and Brembo 65 mm twin pin calipers with my 320 mm MMC rotors and adapters. I have designed rotor wheel spacers to use the same 2005 19" wheel and OEM 1" axle. The cartridges are 30 mm Ohlins naturally with compression, rebound, and spring pre-load. These are the same cartridges used today by Danny Eslick who is currently plate #1 running the Geico Powersport Suzuki in the 600 cc class (AMA Superbike).

As far as the triple trees, they are a strictly drop in affair with the use of OEM fork stops. I believe you can R&R the triple tree stem to use your fork lock if your bike is equipped with it like my 2005 is. I need to still purchase a new M/C for the 2X calipers.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:43 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member

Thanks, George. Glad to hear your conversion went well. How do you like the 49mm vs the old 39mm? Feel a difference?

I was pretty confident it would be fine but just trying to make sure there isn't something I'm missing before doing the conversion. BTW, I plan on working with Howard of motorcyclemetal.com (FastHarley) and installing the Ohlins 30mm cartridge.

Originally Posted by GeorgeJ
I did the conversion on an 2001 FXD (so my rake is 28 degrees) The low is a bit more. Anyway my conversion went great. Bought the trees from a forum member and the forks from Harley. Here's a link to my process. I'm out on the island as well (Saint James).

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...t-to-past.html

GEorge

Old 05-25-2010, 01:46 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member

Sounds good. Looking forward to hearing how it turns out and getting started on mine.

Will the OEM 1" axle work? Thought I would need to replace the hub and go with a 25mm axle?

Originally Posted by FastHarley
Being my own best customer I am well under way in doing it myself on my 2005 Dyna. I am using dual disk forks, OEM fork tubes (49 mm) and Brembo 65 mm twin pin calipers with my 320 mm MMC rotors and adapters. I have designed rotor wheel spacers to use the same 2005 19" wheel and OEM 1" axle. The cartridges are 30 mm Ohlins naturally with compression, rebound, and spring pre-load. These are the same cartridges used today by Danny Eslick who is currently plate #1 running the Geico Powersport Suzuki in the 600 cc class (AMA Superbike).

As far as the triple trees, they are a strictly drop in affair with the use of OEM fork stops. I believe you can R&R the triple tree stem to use your fork lock if your bike is equipped with it like my 2005 is. I need to still purchase a new M/C for the 2X calipers.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:05 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Default converting over.

I am making the program for the wheel rotor adapters for the rotors to duplicate the width of the Dyna 2006 hub. I have a 1" axle with 1" wheel bearings already. I just purchased the stock 2006 axle. As stated, the hardest part on this conversion will be the headlight wiring and idiot lights.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:29 PM
GeorgeJ
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bigdaddy33
Thanks, George. Glad to hear your conversion went well. How do you like the 49mm vs the old 39mm? Feel a difference?

I was pretty confident it would be fine but just trying to make sure there isn't something I'm missing before doing the conversion. BTW, I plan on working with Howard of motorcyclemetal.com (FastHarley) and installing the Ohlins 30mm cartridge.
The front feels a bit heavier is the way I would describe it. With fresh oil it felt great but 4000 miles later its starting to soften-up. I really did it for looks more than anything else. I hope to go with Howards drop in system maybe (RaceTek) sometime soon. I think going to the 160 with the deuce wheel (4.5 wide) also made a difference in feel. From reading your sig it sounds like you have quite a ride. Finishing off the front to match the Ohlins in the rear will be sweet.

Looking forward to your progress. George

Old 05-26-2010, 02:24 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

These are not race tech type of things. Currently Danny Eslick is running them on his Geico Powersports RMR bike and seams to be doing quite well with them this year. They have externally adjustable compression, rebound and spring pre-load.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:22 PM
GeorgeJ
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FastHarley
These are not race tech type of things. Currently Danny Eslick is running them on his Geico Powersports RMR bike and seams to be doing quite well with them this year. They have externally adjustable compression, rebound and spring pre-load.

Have they/you come up with a price range. And are you looking for any more "testers".
George

Quick Reply: Converting 39mm narrow glide to 49mm mid glide question