Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New tire, now wobbles at high speed

Old 05-23-2010, 06:53 PM
greenyetti
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New tire, now wobbles at high speed

After reading through DOZENS of posts trying to fige this out and only learning about spokes, or baggers etc, I have to ask.

I've put over 7000 miles on my 03 Superglide with stock cast wheels this past year with regular speeds over 80 and up to 115. NEVER had any kind of wobble/shimmy etc. Last week got a new Dunlop 401 put on (my old one was just about smooth) had the indie do front brakes too.

Now as I approach 80, give or take a few MPH, i start to get a increasingly bad left/right tight wobble from the front end, accellerate through it and it happens again around 100. Let off and it fades away.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanx

Old 05-23-2010, 06:58 PM
HDTech74
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is the tire balanced properly?
is the steering head adjusted for proper fall away?
is the axle tight?
I would bring it back and tell the shop what's up.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:42 AM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You didn't say which tire you changed. I realize you had the indie do your front brake pads, but was the front or rear tire changed?

I've seen misaligned rear tires cause this problem at about the same speeds you mention. Check your rear axle for proper alignment using either the expensive alignment tool or a straigtened out wire hanger with a small o-ring. I think there's a post on here about how to make your own alignment tool.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:13 PM
fixxr
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was the same way from new!The dealer said everything was good!So I changed the front tire.That didn't help,then changed the front to a mid-glide and the wobble went away.I have since put on a custom front wheel and three different tires and no wobbles at all at any speed.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:19 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would say it is poor balance or bad tire. Take it back and have them check the tire balance! How does it react when you apply the front brake, better/worse?
CB

Old 05-24-2010, 03:39 PM
Coxbow
Road Captain

I've got the same with my '07 SB, changed my rear tire for a 180/55 and it wobbles around 80 or so, it's even worse when I cut the power !

Old 05-24-2010, 05:34 PM
mickymoto
Tourer

How's the tyre pressure?..I think it might be that or not balanced, although as cbz1200n said it's possible that the tyre is no good, but for the price they charge for one you wouldn't think that would be possible!

Old 05-24-2010, 07:32 PM
Badmonkey
Tourer

get up to speed and let go with one hand if the wobble stops then you are squeezin the grips too tight...with 16" bars i start the wobble at 90mph I let one hand off and then its smooth as glass

Old 05-24-2010, 11:01 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Badmonkey
get up to speed and let go with one hand if the wobble stops then you are squeezin the grips too tight...with 16" bars i start the wobble at 90mph I let one hand off and then its smooth as glass

+1 on this. I notice if I ride hard, and push around 80-90, and I am squeezing the grips. I get a left/right/left shimmy. Loosen the grips a tad, and she is straight.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:39 AM
Coxbow
Road Captain

I'll try that !

I’ve noticed your riding position is also important!
Got also 16” bars, and if I put the bars more towards me my bike wobbles less! Not the look I wanted, so when I take a ride that involves motorway I change the bars position… (That’s done in 1 minute…)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New tire, now wobbles at high speed