Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 09:06 PM
cdrich
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running 36 rear and 30 front. Have to keep an eye on my front tire as it loses 2lbs a week on me. It usually won't go below 28 though, but i do notice a difference when its at 28.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:37 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Tire pressure can be deceptive. I have several air pressure gauges in both dial and stick types, some integral with the hose chuck and some are portables. None seem to read the same and can differ up to 3 to 5 pounds for a 35 psi tire.

If you happen to use several different gauges, as I tend to do, since I have a garage, shop and barn with various tool cabinets and locations, plus tool bags and whatnot to work on my bikes wherever is convenient, I don't always grab the same pressure gauge. Dang if I know which one is the accurate one anyway!

To the guys thinking that 32 pounds is right, or a guy thinking that 28 is right, they might have their tires inflated exactly the same.

No. I'm not offering a solution to this dilemma, I'm just pointing it out. If you have two or more tire pressure gauges, test them against each other and see what I mean. I was surprised.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:15 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Here's a thought, why not run the correct pressure as stated right on the tire?

Old 06-30-2010, 05:28 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by 8541hog
Here's a thought, why not run the correct pressure as stated right on the tire?
That is not quite the same thing!

The tyre industry has a standard agreement that gives what the tyre's maximum load is, at 40psi. Frankly it is confusing and not very helpful. It does not mean to say that 40psi is the correct pressure for your bike, nor does it say 40psi is the maximum pressure that the tyre can be used at. In fact IMHO it would be better if that wording was not on the tyre!

If using the tyre recommended by Harley for your bike, use the pressures recommended in the owners manual. If, as many of us do, you are using a different brand or model of tyre, check with the tyre maker. Many of them give pressures for each Harley on their websites.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:34 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
That is not quite the same thing!

The tyre industry has a standard agreement that gives what the tyre's maximum load is, at 40psi. Frankly it is confusing and not very helpful. It does not mean to say that 40psi is the correct pressure for your bike, nor does it say 40psi is the maximum pressure that the tyre can be used at. In fact IMHO it would be better if that wording was not on the tyre!

If using the tyre recommended by Harley for your bike, use the pressures recommended in the owners manual. If, as many of us do, you are using a different brand or model of tyre, check with the tyre maker. Many of them give pressures for each Harley on their websites.
I think I will trust what the manufacturer says and prints right on the tire over your opinion.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:01 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Angry

I think I will trust what the manufacturer says and prints right on the tire over your opinion.
In that case you will be wrong on all counts!

I haven't expressed an opinion, but passed on something I have personally asked Avon Tyres about, to explain what the writing on the sidewall means. You can ask your preferred tyre maker and see what they say!

Old 06-30-2010, 12:48 PM
LanceRobbins24
Stage II

I know I'm a new guy to the board, but the markings on the tire itself are a maximum inflation pressure for said tire, not any type of recommended pressure for a specific application. Some motorcycles have different load carrying requirements and adjusting the air pressure to the appropriate level achieves that. I've been in the automotive tire sales field for over 6 years and the same thing translates to motorcycle tires. Always check the manual to see what the engineers that designed your bike intended to work best for your bike. I've included a link below from my company that sheds a bit of light on this.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...e.jsp?techid=8

Old 06-30-2010, 12:53 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Well I guess I have been wrong all my life along with Ford and the Explorer.
Following what is on the tire has always worked for me except in certain situations.
And BTW. IMHO means opinion or didn't you realize what you wrote?

Old 06-30-2010, 01:23 PM
RonnR
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
:icon_ rtfm:: icon_rtfm::icon_r tfm:

Easy, Easy, Its not like the HD manual is so spot on about everything else,
Why would any of us ask for other riders opinions or experience's..
You must have bought the Official Harley-Davidson Calibrated air gauge...
Some of those AutoZone tire gauges can vary as much as 2 psi, then what do ya do?

Old 06-30-2010, 01:54 PM
Bones77
Road Captain

Well, that's one way of looking at it.

Me, I'll stick with the bike manufactures recommendations for their particular model of bike being used with that tire. HD recommendation, not opinion, is 30 front, 36 rear solo and with gear or passenger 40 rear. Right from my FXDC owner's manual and that's what I follow.

HB

Quick Reply: Tire pressure