Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front brake lever and switch diagrams request

Old 07-02-2010, 08:37 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Front brake lever and switch diagrams request

Hello,

My brake light isn't disengaging when I let go of the front lever. After some reading, I understand the brake switch is just a plunger that sticks out 1/4" or so and is supposed to get depressed when you release the lever. I can force the light to go off by pushing my lever forward.

Both of my levers are loose and jiggle. The dealer said this is normal and demonstrated by walking up to all of the bikes in the service bay and jiggling both handles.

1) I was wondering if anyone has good detailed drawings showing the inside of the housing and the interaction between the lever and the switch? I've read the fix can be as simple as attaching a piece to the contact point of the lever to the switch to further increase the levers ability to push the switch in and turn off the light.

2) What's my best course of action? Should I have the dealer install black levers for me, and if it still acts up blame them and make them fix it? I've been down once, they tried telling me since my rear fender is a custom job that maybe I screwed something up with the wiring, even though I demonstrated that jiggling the front lever caused the light to go on and off. I don't have much faith they'll do any warranty work here as this could fall under 'normal wear and tear.'

Thanks for your time,
matt

EDIT: I found this post: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/6758726-post5.html

It seems like i'd need to insert something on the flat portion of the pin labeled 1 in Fig. 1?

Last edited by mattVA; 07-02-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:52 AM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just had to replace that switch ($60) on my 07 SB - the switch went bad. Since yours will still turn the light off when you push out the lever it would seem the switch itself is good but the alignment is off. I'd follow the instructions in the post you linked or (better yet) your service manual for disassembling everything and check it out to make certain everything is where it is supposed to be.

Anything you put in there to shim it will just be a jury rig. Find and correct the root cause of the problem and you'll be much happier in the long run.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:28 PM
==ShaDoW==
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take the lever off (very easy clip on the bottom) then push button with your finger and confirm it works if it does than mod accordingly, (double double sided tape with plastic or something to that effect) if it doesn't buy a new switch pretty easy solution really.

My stock levers where not loose but since installing after market black ones it is a bit loose now but like yr dealer said they all do it at some point.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:34 PM
jto667
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a wedge between that switch and the interior of the housing, make sure it is spread wide and pushes the switch itself as far out as possible. There is a lil nub that sticks out from the switch that contacts the brake lever. When you take the top of the switch housing cover off you'll see what I mean...little brass wedge at the back of the switch. Did I confuse you?!

https://www.shop.harley-davidson-ros.../70223-96B.pdf

Page 3, figure 6, item 4 is what I'm talking about. But there is a pic of the guts to your switch housing

Last edited by jto667; 07-02-2010 at 07:44 PM.