Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   New Rider Seeking Advice (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/535664-new-rider-seeking-advice.html)

aequitas89 07-06-2010 11:41 AM

New Rider Seeking Advice

Hey,
I am an american soldier and just bought my first bike. I am planning to come home on leave just in time to take the harley davidson new riders course and get my license. I bought a 2011 Dyna Wide Glide, I want it do have a loud classic harley sound and was thinking of replacing stock pipes with VH big radius 2 into 2 black and am also looking for a good air intake system? any suggestions? and any other advice in general
thank you

NoCalFXD 07-06-2010 12:29 PM

I have a friend who has the big radius 2 into 1 and it sounds good. I favor 2-1 exhaust for performance reasons. I suggest hanging out at a biker bar and listening to different bikes to see/hear what sound you like. I have always gone with screamin eagle air cleaners on my bikes. I put power commanders on my bikes and they have plenty of maps that apply to the screamin eagle air cleaner making it easier to do it yourself. Welcome to the biker lifestyle and keep fighting the good fight, its well appreciated.

Low_Wider 07-06-2010 01:21 PM

Don't mean to be a smarty but a lot depends upon your definition of that "classic Harley sound". If you're not looking to get every pony you can get out of her, you will be fine, another words much less $$, with a good set of slip on mufflers. From what I've heard the Rush and Krome Werks will give you the deepest sound. I have the Rush 2.0 and have been very happy with them. Yet from what I've read for those of you 2010+ that have the cats in your pipes you have to either remove the cats or go with the larger baffles, 2.5 in the case of Rush, to get a decent sound out of her. If your definition of "classic Harley sound" is that loping potato sound at idle that will take a lot more effort. First, the EFI bikes idle about 1000 rpm. You can lower the idle rpm with a tuner like Mastertune or SEST but there can be issues with poor oil circulation at the low rpms. Adding a high lift cam will also help with your loping sound but that's at considerable expense and I would only consider if you were hankering for more ponies.

Finally and foremost let me thank you for your service to our country. Ride safe and well.

Airborne350G 07-06-2010 01:53 PM

Be careful with what you buy and keep your stock stuff as long as you are in the military. If you get stationed somewhere that they test the db level of the exhaust you will wish you had them. I went with the V&H slip ons so I can easily switch them out for inspections.

PS.. Stay Alert... Stay Alive....

seawarrior 07-06-2010 03:28 PM

Hi Aequitas - thanks for your service to our country.

If this is truly your first bike I'm going to recommend something you probably don't want to hear; buy something no bigger than a 600 to learn on. If you drop that beautiful new bike you're going to be really bummed out, and it might be hard for you to pass the test with a bigger machine.

I started with a Honda Rebel 250 after taking the msf course. I paid $2,200 for it and sold it a month later for $2,100. Put a thousand miles on it, and I'm glad I had that experience. In fact, before going from that to my street bob, I probably should have gone with a cheap 600cc honda shadow or something for a while. I haven't dropped the street bob but I've had some close calls, always when parking or at slow speed. Take your time building the skills. Ride safe and thanks again!

FLYSBY 07-06-2010 05:57 PM

I've got to say, Searwarrior, I am disappointed in your answer. I had never driven a bike in my life and bought a brand new 08 Honda Shadow 750cc. Within a few months of my new license, I was disappointed in my ride and begging for more. Lost a lot of $$ on that deal.
Of course I drive a truck for a living and should have some driving skills, but I am also a woman and you guys know how badly we drive (lol).
If he feels comfortable with his purchase, don't scare him. I was told by the salesperson the day I picked up my first new bike with no miles on it that I would drop it - everyone does. Got pissed as hell and never went back there again. And, knock on wood - have never dropped my bike.
Aequitas, thank you for your service and don't let your wg intimidate you - or anyone else. You'll do a fine job driving that bike. :icon_wink:

FLYSBY 07-06-2010 05:58 PM

Oh yeah, by the way....Did you buy a 2010 or a 2011? I haven't seen one of those yet. Heard rumors there would be no WG in 2011. Now we need pics.

Ratbob 07-06-2010 06:09 PM

Best advice I can give is take your time, there's no hurry. We all want our bikes to sound more manly when we roll them off the showroom floor, but it gets expensive when you change your mind and go a different direction. Learn to search this forum for some invaluable advice and look and listen to what's out there and make an informed decision between looks and performance.

You'll never get that 'classic harley sound' out of fuel injected model, they idle way too fast to get that potato potato lope. It takes different cams to come even close.

Thank you for your service, and welcome to the forum.

8541hog 07-06-2010 06:19 PM

Enjoy the new ride, you have earned it.
Take your time and listen to several combinations before you spend your hard earned cash on something you may not like in 6 months, been there done that, same thing on bars, what looks good may not feel good down the road.
As mentioned, hang out at a biker bar, or a dealership on the weekend, you will get to hear lots of bikes that way, ask when you hear the sound you want, then buy with confidence.
Thank you for your service, from an old Jarhead..

billycouldride 07-06-2010 06:45 PM

congrats on the new bike.

i went with rush slip-ons and the screamin eagle air intake. i am happy with both.

the largest baffle rush offers for the dyna slip-ons are 2.25, and they really stand behind their products.

the bike is loud when i step on it, but not offensive under normal driving conditions.

i hope you get the same satisfaction out of your bike that i get out of mine.