Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP Black Denim Light Scratches Removal

Old 07-16-2013, 03:57 PM
nakbuc
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clay Bar works for small scratches

i have a black denim SB and i scratched the tank with my watch and everybody told me that i was stuck with it. then a few weeks later i was using a clay bar to get some scuffs off my jeep and i figured what the hell and gave it a try. i used the Harley denim cleaner as the lubricant and damn if i didn't rub it out. if it's chipped your stuck but some scratches will come out with a clay bar. you can buy them at any auto store. it can't hurt to try but if you can feel the scratch with your finger it's probably not coming out

good luck

Old 01-12-2014, 04:13 AM
Cross Bones
Stage II
Default 0000 and WINDEX

Do not, i repeat DO NOT use, Windex soaked into 0000 steel wool to remove scratches on Denim Black paint, i tried on a hidden bit of paint, wow, scratched the paint bad, makes it look smeared, full of circles......................

Old 01-12-2014, 05:32 AM
georgy51
Cruiser

Mothers back to black ....put it on wait 20 mins ...happy chappy

Old 01-12-2014, 10:29 PM
c-note
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I second the idea of embracing the "changes". The denim paint is meant to be worn like a pair of jeans.... more years, more yours, more character and comfort. That was the whole idea, it's right in the manual. A denim bike is not for the Saturday polishers/Sunday riders. I find some HD denim cleaner does wonders once a week or so. I've had 2 denim bikes, and once you make peace with its reality, it makes owning them 10x better.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:30 PM
c-note
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Cross Bones
Do not, i repeat DO NOT use, Windex soaked into 0000 steel wool to remove scratches on Denim Black paint, i tried on a hidden bit of paint, wow, scratched the paint bad, makes it look smeared, full of circles......................
That sounded like a retarded idea to begin with. Chalk board paint and steel wool....hmmmmmm

Old 01-13-2014, 11:31 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by ord sgt
Denim black is not the only flat color with problems. My street bob is denim gray.
I switch seats from sinle to two-up. The larger seat rubs the rear fender and shiney spots are appearing. Plus there are deep scratches from items that I carried on the fender before I had the two-up seat. Scratches were deep enough to require touchup paint.

All are noticeable when I have the solo seat in place.
Ever think of a bib for the rear? I've been tossing around the same idea, after I had a bag rub a small shiny spot on the rear fender.
Now I use a microfiber cloth under my bag or anything that will sit on the fender.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:41 PM
ncfxdfnc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by c-note
I second the idea of embracing the "changes". The denim paint is meant to be worn like a pair of jeans.... more years, more yours, more character and comfort. That was the whole idea, it's right in the manual. A denim bike is not for the Saturday polishers/Sunday riders. I find some HD denim cleaner does wonders once a week or so. I've had 2 denim bikes, and once you make peace with its reality, it makes owning them 10x better.
i agree with this.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:53 AM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Harley Denim Paint DOES use a clear coat

It is a popular misconception that Harley's denim paints do not use a clear coat. This is probably because the denim paints look like primer. The denim clear coat does not dry to a shine like the high gloss clear coats do. This is the reason dealers only tell you to use the Harley Denim Paint Cleaner or Windex. Both products are non-abrasive unlike other cleaning products offered by Harley for their gloss paints. The gloss paint cleaners actually polish the clear coat to remove minor scratches. Any polish or abrasive cleaning tool such as steel wool will polish the denim clear coat to a shine. The only solution to remove imperfections from denim paint is to repaint the tins. The harley paint codes you will need are below:

Harley Denim Paint Codes:
Black Denim - 98609 BYM
Pewter Denim - 98609 CHH
Red Hot Denim - 98609 BJL/CVC
Crimson Red Denim - 98609 CTZ
Brilliant Silver Denim - 98609 COV
Olive Pearl Denim - 98609 COS
Pacific Blue Denim - 98609 CHG

Harley Urethane Paint Activator:
Part Number 99825-02

Harley Denim Paint Clear Coat:
Denim Clear Topcoat - 98628 CLR

I purchased a black denim Street Bob because I liked the Rat bike look. I think the imperfections give it character. Regardless I ride my bike way too much to keep worrying about how clean it is.

The following users liked this post:
Tall Timber (03-15-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 06:09 AM
Phillip Ortiz
Stage II

BD1024,
I am a perfectionist and had several shiny spots and light surface scratches on my 2015 RG Special Denim Black. In 10 minutes I successfully removed them with 0000 Sterlington Wool pads and some Windex. I am so :-) and wanted to Thank You for your TIP!

Old 03-09-2017, 06:17 AM
Phillip Ortiz
Stage II

0000 Steel wool pads and Windex is Da Bomb! In 10 minutes I removed surface scratches and shiny spots from my fairing, side covers, and gas tank. Thanks for the TIP BD1024. My 2015 ROAD GLIDE SPECIAL looks Brand New again :-)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP Black Denim Light Scratches Removal