Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP Black Denim Light Scratches Removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 02:08 AM
xantasm
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I saw the vivid black, pearl white, and denim black models on the show room floor and thought yeah denim black (insert Tim Taylor tool time caveman grunt). Now I realize what a pain in the *** it is to keep it looking good so I don't bother. I just ride it like I stole it and wash it about every month or so. If I had it to do over again I would've got vivid black (cause pearl white is for girls). I think Harley should have just PC'd the tins wrinkle black, would have been easier to maintain and looked pretty similar to the way it does now. I already decided though if I am going to shell out to PC the tins they are getting done in OD green to further show my Cavalry pride.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:45 AM
Sgt7212
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my .02 cents... I've been told by several people to never, ever use any type of gloss or wax on the denim paint because Denim paint does not have a clear coat on it. I've heard the only thing you should use is the Harley Denim cleaner, a degreaser type soap like Dawn and have heard some people use windex with good results. Like others have mentioned, I don't know that any of that will get rid of the scratches, although the steel wool idea is new to me and may work. I have a few light scratches on my FXDF and have not come across anything that I felt comfortable trying (without being afraid I'd screw it up and make it look worse), so I've just left them. All I've used on my bike so far is a wet soft cloth to wipe it down and some invisible glass on a microfiber cloth to shine up the chrome.

The problem with using a gloss product or any type of wax is that I've heard it will develop shiny spots on the denim paint and will eventually "bleach out" or turn to a white residue.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:02 AM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Denim black is not the only flat color with problems. My street bob is denim gray.
I switch seats from sinle to two-up. The larger seat rubs the rear fender and shiney spots are appearing. Plus there are deep scratches from items that I carried on the fender before I had the two-up seat. Scratches were deep enough to require touchup paint.

All are noticeable when I have the solo seat in place.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:09 PM
Tat2u
Road Warrior
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Mine has a few light scratches nothing major or even noticeable to other people. They don't worry me. It's a bike that gets ridden heaps and it's not a show bike so they are bound to happen. Ive done the old key chain scratch on the tank while pushing it once and my stupidity of doing that pissed me off at the time but got over it

Old 09-09-2012, 02:32 PM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Denim paint according to my buddy who is the area manager for PPG told me that the satin finish is in the final coat process. Although I had Denim Black as my priority when I bought my FXDF I am now thinking of reprinting somewhat like the flamed over gloss black like the Wide Glide option.
Bob

Old 07-13-2013, 07:31 PM
Anthony B
Stage I

Hi everyone, this is my first post here. So has tried the Windex/steel wool "fix" for the light scratches on the denim paint? I'm faced with the same issue and am looking ways to get it looking show room again.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:48 PM
ERSFX
Novice

I professionally detail motorcycles and cars and the best thing I have found for removing slight imperfections and scuffs in Denim paint is "Surf City Garage" Beyond Clay. It is basically a liquid clay bar and really does a great job restoring the denim finish.....chemical guys matte paint cleaner/ protectant is very good stuff...though expensive and hard to find but is far superior to the HD denim cleaner......hope this helps

Old 07-15-2013, 09:16 AM
dooz28
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Best advice I got for my denim black 2009 FLHT is from the salesman when I bought it: Denim black is going to get wear marks and scratches no matter what, so live with it and call it "patina".

Old 07-15-2013, 06:50 PM
lllFIGJAMlll
Intermediate

One of the many downsides about owning a denim bike. I feel your pain. I know many people dont ever notice the small scratches...but I do...every...single..time.. i get on the bike

Old 07-15-2013, 07:19 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Colorite.com makes a touch up pen for denim black. I've used it on a scratch on the front of my tank. Plainly visible but still covered.

Quick Reply: HELP Black Denim Light Scratches Removal