Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP Black Denim Light Scratches Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 05:17 PM
Wonkaboy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP Black Denim Light Scratches Removal

I noticed i have some light scratches in one small area on the tip of my front fender due to my stupidity , when i was using an air hose the rubber must have been on the fender i tried the Harley gloss and it definably did work a little but it depends on the sun reflection too , i guess i could live with it because a new fender is $256.00 from Zanotti's , I also just found this NEW cleaner product for the Denim has anybody used it yet ? This might take the rubber scratch off the paint , Anybody using anything to help remove scratches on the Denims ? They call this new one a HANDY QUICK DETAILER well that's what the Harley Gloss does too i don't see a difference ...

Harley-Davidson® Denim Paint Cleaner Specially-formulated for Harley Denim Paint, this handy quick detailer cleans and protects the silky matte finish. Just spray and gently wipe away oils, fingerprints, and dust. Compatible with all surfaces on H-D® motorcycles, this formula cleans without buffing, so you can avoid "polishing" the denim surface. Heavily soiled surfaces should be washed with Harley-Davidson® Sunwash® and water before application. 94866-10 16-oz. Spray Bottle Universal. MSRP US $7.95

Last edited by Wonkaboy; 07-25-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:25 PM
mgg126x
Advanced

It will not remove scratches.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:16 PM
BrentsterS
Tourer

My method for addressing irregularities in my denim paint is wash with Dawn, lathering the desired area. If that doesn't do it detail with Windex, then wash with Dawn again. I know it sounds crazy but has worked well on most spots. Did it today to address gas spill on tank that left residue marks that would not detail out.

If the paint is scratched deep, it is scratched. Good luck-

Old 07-25-2010, 10:52 PM
Peter Black
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

black denim is a loosing battle once you scratch it up your pretty much F*cked
mine has all kinds stuff going on from zippers and other stuff. the moco should make some type of black compound that you rub on like shoe polish that takes the out scratches, and shinny spots. they could call it harley de-shine and scratch remover and charge $40 a can

Old 05-30-2012, 06:53 PM
ironman88
Stage I

So I was riding down the road today and I hear a terrible noise. It was the rack I built for my 09 street bob. The bolt rattled loose and the rack fell of the back and needless to say there were some scratches from this. Well I got on here trying to find a way to fix them and quickly realized that it can't be done. My scratches were really just scuffs but either way it bothered me. What I tried was using McGuire's Clear Wax at very small amounts and concentrating directly on the scuff. I rubbed as if doing a normal wax job but did not let it dry and then quickly used windex on the area to take the excess wax off. It did not completely remove the scuff but it did make them very unnoticeable and I doubt that anyone else will even notice. So this is just something to try, and I am not sure how well this will work with a actual scratch.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:04 PM
NYCFXDC13
Cruiser

yea i have to agree my first harley was a black denim and once you scratch it it's tough... that's why i went with vivid black on my fxdc light scratch's can always try to wax it out

Old 05-30-2012, 09:24 PM
Karsten
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If it is really that bad get a can of Colorite Black Denim paint #6305. I recently painted my tins with it due to a mishap at the dealer.

You may have to repaint the whole fender if your paint has faded.

Karsten

Old 09-08-2012, 02:03 PM
bd1024
Stage I
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default How to remove scuffs and light scratches from denim paint

Hi everyone, new guy here. I swap about 30 to 40 Harleys a year, and try to only deal in super premium, late model, low mileage bikes. Occasionally, I need to do a small paint touch up, scratch repair or scuff repair.. I have found that for most LIGHT scratches, applying clear coat works wonders to hide the scratch. I simply buy a can of spray clearcoat from my local autoparts store, spray some onto a foam "paintbrush" that you can buy at the hobby stores, or paint stores, and lightly brush over the scratched area. Using this technique, less is always better when applying the clear coat, -- It can work wonders. If not happy with the results, immediately remove with a clean rag soaked with Windex glass cleaner, (I prefer the "WINDEX" brand,because it has more ammonia. ---- For the denim paints, it's a different story. This is going to be scary, but I promise you that it works. ---Use "0000" , or "4 ought", steel wool, soaked with windex, --- rub LIGHTLY! applying light pressure over the scratched or scuffed area, rub 4 or 5 times, then dry the Windex, and check your results.It usually takes 4 or 5 light rubbing sessions to remove the light scratches or scuffs. Gentle pressure is the key. If done properly, (and it really is simple) you will be amazed at the results. It will not leave any marks in the paint. Just be sure to use a clean piece of 0000 or 4 'ought steel wool. (the finest made, available at your hardware / autoparts store. --- Lastly the same steel wool and Windex is a MIRACLE worker when it comes to cleaning your CHROMED surfaces, such as spoked wheels, spokes, exhaust pipes, etc. Takes burned on rubber, ( from shoes), melted clothing fabric, (from the lady), road tar, etc, right off, and absolutely does not scratch the CHROMED areas. DO NOT USE ON ALUMINUM, or CLEARCOAT!!!!--- There you go, my 2 cents worth, hope this helps. bd1024

Last edited by bd1024; 09-09-2012 at 08:37 AM. Reason: puncuation / spelling
The following 2 users liked this post by bd1024:
Chicago Ken (06-19-2017), Phillip Ortiz (03-09-2017)
Old 09-08-2012, 11:44 PM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I can relate, while not thinking I went to roll my bike round while having it lean on my right hip...where my key chain sits. My key chain happens to be an real chain so it placed a bunch of scratches in the tank where it meets the seat. I am really bummed because now my love for Denim is slowly becoming estranged.
Bob

Old 09-08-2012, 11:44 PM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I can relate, while not thinking I went to roll my bike round while having it lean on my right hip...where my key chain sits. My key chain happens to be an real chain so it placed a bunch of scratches in the tank where it meets the seat. I am really bummed because now my love for Denim is slowly becoming estranged.
Bob

Quick Reply: HELP Black Denim Light Scratches Removal