Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daily rider/commute

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 07:18 PM
volatile77
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daily rider/commute

I ride a 2011 FXDB to work everyday, and my commute is 150 miles round trip. Needless to say, at the end of every week I am exhausted. This FXDB rides like a rigid. I now have lower back problems, a right hip issue, and a very short temper.

Is there anyone else on this forum who rides the same bike (or class/weight) that does the same commute? For me, it's all freeway miles (75 each way).

I'm 5'5" and weigh 115lbs. Mods I've done thus far are:

*Progressive drop in fork lowering kit
*Progressive 412 rear shocks
*Super-reach seat (I'm 5'5", gimme a break).
*Nightster bars with 2" risers.
*21" front tire

Nothing seems to make this Dyna ride smoothly. I feel every little crack in the road, and it takes a toll on my lower back and kidneys.

I guess the TL;DR version is: I'm short, skinny, and my bike outweighs me by 500lbs. Why does it still ride like a rigid? I thought Dynas were supposed to be smooth and comfy?

Does anyone have this problem?

Old 09-18-2012, 07:26 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The 412's aren't really going to help you with your ride, barely better then stock. You need to invest in a quality shock that is designed for your weight. The dyna suspension is set up for an average 180# rider, that is why it feels so harsh to you. Not enough weight to compress the shocks. Look at ricor, ohlins, or works. Even if you drop 1K and it made your ride enjoyable it would be worth every penny.

I just recently installed the ricor shocks and took all the harshness out of the ride. They build the shocks for your weight, they are a forum sponser, and they are on sale right now.

Lowering the bike just made it worse...

Old 09-18-2012, 07:40 PM
whitewolf001
Tourer

Not to mention that seat man, probably not the best choice of seat for a daily commute. If back problems are becoming an issue invest in a HD Sun Downer, HD Touring, Mustang or Corbin. I have a Sundowner and love it, probably the best money I've spent on the bike followed by my forward controls but I'm also 6'3" so yeah... point is buy a seat that is going to be comfortable for you. At the risk of sounding like an ***, it seems like you set your bike up to be the worst riding bike for being comfortable possible, lol. I'm probably gonna go Ohlin's myself when the time comes.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:10 PM
volatile77
Novice

Yeah, the new shocks didn't help at all. I did a bunch of research before buying, and literally everything I read was "you can't go wrong". Well, I did. Rooti, you are 100% right on those shocks, that's what I tell everyone now, "they ride exactly like stock". That was a waste of $300.

As for some points you guys brought up:

*lowering the forks- I had too. Too damn short. I can honestly say that after lowering the front 2 inches, I still didn't feel a single difference. I would say it rides the same now as it did when I bought it. Then again, I'm probably not the target demographic H-D had in mind when designing the FXDB.

*You nailed that one, it was the only one I could find that allowed me to actually feel comfortable.

As for the general all around on my bike, WW, I agree, it's about as uncomfortable as I could Imagine a non-rigid being. But it's set up for the long daily commute. So the stock mini-apes had to go (arms always going numb, lane splitting, etc etc etc).

I'll check into the other shocks you mentioned and cross my fingers they work.

Reckon I could always trade down to a Honda Rebel....JKJKJK

Old 09-18-2012, 08:13 PM
ilovemyskidoo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 106 miles round trip to work and my 08 fxdl rides great for me the sundowner really helps.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:18 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

with the mid controls and seat along with your bars, you're probably leaning way far forward...hell on the lower back.

get some bars with pull back. that'll allow you to sit up straighter.

look into air shocks for a softer ride. bitchinbaggers.com cuts down air shocks to any length you want. you can keep your lowered look and feel and ride softer.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:33 PM
oldlefty
Tourer

if i were to guess i would say that these guys are right about the shocks and lowered front end. thats a tough spot you're in with being so short. my sb has progressive rear and racetech springs and gold vales up front. i have it sit tall for better travel and cornering clearance. rides tight but still comfy but i am 5' 11'' and 220.
are you running a tick fork oil? maybe you can also try a thiner oil to create a softer front end? definitely need better rears for your needs man.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:09 PM
Puffdaddy
Road Captain

Call Howard at Motorcycle Metal and he can tailor a set of Ohlins shocks for you.
I am amazed every time I go on a ride how much smoother it is. With adjustable damping it can really be dialed if for your type of riding. Pricey but worth it!
BTW, He gives a good discount for HDF members

Old 09-18-2012, 10:02 PM
Vinsil
Road Warrior

The front end is an issue, you took out travel and whether you think you can't feel the difference...it is there.

Try putting the stock springs back in...and maybe some emulators if your not happy with the ride and sliding the forks up in the trees 1" to get the lowered effect without the loss of travel. Your a light person, but travel makes a ride difference.

Look at adjusting your air pressure a little in the tires, if your running max PSI that won't help with the ride either.

I have an 09 that I ride 110 miles round trip and find the stock suspension ok, but it is not great. The suggestion of GOOD shocks will help...and a seat too. You are short but someone like sick saddles can rework a seat to fit you but still provide comfort. It is all about making the bike fit you for comfort. Plenty do iron butt rides on dyna's....they can be made to work for your needs you just need to be willing to try a few different things and spend some cash. Pay attention to bar position.

Try sitting on your bike, close your eyes, put your arms out to where your comfortable. open your eyes. That is where your body wants to sit, put your bars on according. This might require a bar/riser change or back to the mini apes and lean them back, you might be shocked at your comfort level.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:30 PM
ryderbiker
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Howard at motorcycle metal can give you a good ride with shorter shocks like you have now. The 412s are garbage. If you went back to the stock internals in the forks you would see a difference. Getting a set of springs that are correct for your weight and cutting the preload spacers to set the sag correctly will do wonders for you. A set of taller bars that come back to you will help as well. I changed to a set of 9" risers and pro taper bars and they sit right where my hands and arms naturally want to fall. I've got back issues and I've been searching for a decent looking seat thats comfortable for longer rides. What works for me may not work for you and I haven't found the right seat for me yet. Getting that suspension addressed and setting the sag will make a world of difference. I run works shocks but I wouldn't recommend them to you. You have to run more length for them to be worth the money.

Quick Reply: Daily rider/commute