Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel inductor light on w/plenty of fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 01:44 AM
mvinc01
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Fuel inductor light on w/plenty of fuel?

Last Sun, at the end of a 280 mile ride, the low fuel indicator light came on and the fuel gauge skipped down to low fuel flashing light. I had plenty if fuel in the tank. I pulled over and topped off at the next station, but the indicators stayed on even after filling up. I've double checked the electronic connections on the fuel gauge cap as well as the fuel filler cap. Both are installed correctly. I've ridden since then and there seems to be no effect of the ride quality or engine effects. The lights are still on.

Could this be a bad fuel gauge, or possibly a bad fuel sensor sending unit? Is there a way to reset this?

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 08-15-2010, 01:57 AM
ratt196635
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have the old gauge put it back on and see if the problem goes away More than likely that led guage has a problem or you might try unpluging it and see what happens

Old 08-15-2010, 09:18 AM
mvinc01
Road Master

Thanks Ratt. I've already disconnected-reconnected the gauge and checked it. I don't have the original because these came w/the bike. I'm hoping its just a faulty gauge and I'll just go he the skull gague/cap. Hope its not internal in the tank.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:23 AM
mvinc01
Road Master

BTW...The title should be "Fuel indicator light on w/plenty of fuel?"

Darn spellcheck...Grrr...

Old 08-15-2010, 09:33 AM
HBomb74
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a great avatar pic by the way...

Old 08-15-2010, 09:36 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HBomb74
That's a great avatar pic by the way...
It makes me dizzy.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:41 AM
ORIGSQUIG
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mvinc01
Last Sun, at the end of a 280 mile ride, the low fuel indicator light came on and the fuel gauge skipped down to low fuel flashing light. I had plenty if fuel in the tank. I pulled over and topped off at the next station, but the indicators stayed on even after filling up. I've double checked the electronic connections on the fuel gauge cap as well as the fuel filler cap. Both are installed correctly. I've ridden since then and there seems to be no effect of the ride quality or engine effects. The lights are still on.

Could this be a bad fuel gauge, or possibly a bad fuel sensor sending unit? Is there a way to reset this?

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!
Sending unit went bad or open circuit in wiring, check with ohm meter, you may need to buy service manual for chek out procedure

Old 08-15-2010, 10:08 AM
jrobinson424
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem with my 2010 FXDC. I'd fill up, go 50 miles, and the gauge would say empty. However, the computer was right saying I had 160 miles to empty. Took it to the dealer and they said the Fuel Level Sending Unit had gone bad. They said this is a pretty common problem. They replaced it for me. Just really weird that a brand new bike is already having stuff go bad.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:24 PM
HDTech74
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2 things it could be

alot of times the float level arm gets caught up on the tank and doesn't let it rise or return.

secondly it could be the sending unit itself, which is common. you can check the resistance on the sending unit, it's just a reo-stat/potentiometer. there is no set resistance according to the harley electrical manuals. it will have resistance but no the right amount.

if you know how to get it out, take it out and lay it on the top of the tank, turn the bike on and move the float, if you move the float up and the gage doesn't move you know it's the sending unit.

If youve never taken the fuel pump assembly out of a tank before
because if you've never done it you'll break it, leave it to the dealer.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:03 PM
mvinc01
Road Master

Thanks. Funny, that's what my wife said too. I stole it. It's pretty common.

Originally Posted by Grendel4
It makes me dizzy.
OK. Thanks guys for the input and advise. I was hoping not the sending unit, but you're probably right that it likely is. I'll probably check with the dealership on price. Probably be a grip for a faulty part. Sux. Thanks again.

Last edited by mvinc01; 08-15-2010 at 10:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Fuel inductor light on w/plenty of fuel?