Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - Security won't disarm unless I enter PIN

Old 08-18-2010, 06:13 AM
June Bug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help - Security won't disarm unless I enter PIN

I have an '08 Street Bob. Something has gone wrong with the fob and/or security system. I couldn't start the bike and finally figured out it was remaining armed, so unless I go through the whole process of manually entering my PIN, it won't disarm and I can't start the bike! I even brought out the extra FOB, thinking it was something to do with the FOB I've been using since I bought the bike.

This is very quickly becoming a pain in the butt to put it mildly.

Is this common? Is there a quick fix? Can I (well, my husband ) take the whole damn thing out? We have the service manual for my bike but he can't find anything on how to do that. I don't want to have to pay the dealer to do what we maybe could do ourselves.

Thanks!
EDIT / UPDATE / ....

Um .. yeah ... t'would seem it was the battery. In BOTH Fobs. (makes sense seeing they are the same age).

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited by June Bug; 08-20-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:48 AM
Kelly_A
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's possible both fobs have bad batteries. Replace one before you try anything else.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:15 AM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, you can remove the security system, but you have to replace the module. Check your service manual for "TSM" and/or "TSSM". The former is the stock unit while the latter included the security feature. Removing it is easy.

For those who want to go the other way, things get more difficult. You can easily replace the TSM with a TSSM yourself, and teach the ECM to recognize it, but you must take the bike to the dealer to "marry" the fobs to the TSSM. If you were to sell you old unit (assuming it isn't defective) I'm not sure whether the buyer would have to have the dealer marry the fobs since they already are. Just don't know if the act of moving the unit to a different bike would interfere with that.

That all said, +1 on checking the batteries. It's usually the simple, obvious stuff we overlook that causes most problems.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:17 AM
inaroush
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put in fresh batteries it is probably a simple fix... Dont make yourself crazy just yet

Old 08-18-2010, 08:19 AM
rscalzo
Road Warrior
Received 126 Likes on 77 Posts

New batteries but clean the terminals of the FOB's buy rubbing a hard eraser lightly over them several times. There might be some light corrosion. I'd even go the additional step of coating the terminals with dielectric grease.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:20 AM
Romeo
Tourer

Could you have done something to inadvertently disconnect the antenna from the security module or the antenna itself? Pull out the security module to see if the smaller of the 2 connectors (the one on the left) is connected. You may have to follow the cable from that connector to the antenna module (mounted behind the electrical caddy, under the seat) to see if the other end is connected as well.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:24 AM
midnitewolf
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing happened to me , the batteries were dead in both
of them
New batteries problem fixed

Old 08-19-2010, 11:15 AM
mahagowitz
Cruiser

buy a 2 pack of batteries and change a fob, keep other battery for next year

Old 08-19-2010, 11:30 AM
ratt196635
Road Master

had the same problem and mine was also the batteries.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:55 AM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how long are the batteries supposed to last in these things? I've had mine for 2 1/2 years now and they are still working (knock on wood) but I've been thinking that it must be getting to be about time to swap em out.........

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help - Security won't disarm unless I enter PIN