Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slip-ons vs Full Exhaust System

Old 08-18-2010, 09:44 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Good info ColdCase. Thanks much.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:48 PM
OldSalt
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nevil
With money being tight you might be happy with a different set of slipons. I had the V&H mufflers, which I liked and were pretty loud. Then I installed a pair of Cycle Shacks which I like even more. Not quite as loud but loud enough and nice and deep. They list for $190 and can be bought for less.
You can get a performance advantage with a 2-1 system but it will cost more. Lots of choices out there, including 2-2 pipes. Not to mention all the different styles. If you decide to go that way later on you can always sell your used mufflers.
Nevil, appreciate the comments. I considered V&H, but for whatever reason went with the Screamin Eagles this time. Gotta be a first for everything, and this bike is my first one so EVERYTHING I do to it fits that category it seems. Will give it some time and see if they deepen more. If not, then maybe by the end of the year might look at the V&H, which I hear alot of good comments on. Thanks.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:50 PM
OldSalt
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ColdCase
You will get a difference of opinion here. It is not a simple trade off as you may think. You can get good sound with either method, that's your subjective judgement. Oh by the way, forget about achieving that old potato-potato lope sound, you need an old carb bike for that. Not going to happen with a modern bike. You can get louder, however.. you can get obnoxious too.. You can get better style one way or another, that's your subjective judgement.

First the HD exhaust in any configuration is too short to be very effective. When you make it louder you lose back pressure which can increase high rpm HP (if you also tune) but decreases low end torque and makes the exhaust susceptible to decel pops. The 2-1 full exhausts can be tuned to get some of that torque back, but they also have holes in the power curve, and don't max your high rpm HP.

Except for D&D, the full exhaust manufacture seem to pay little attention to proper O2 sensor placement (old school was to disconnect them anyway) so there is potential to mess with your street drivability or kill the closed loop capability (not recommended).

Currently, for near stock bikes, the best recommendation for street performance is to keep your HD head pipes, put some slip ons on that you like the sound. I know rush makes a quality product, I hear Krome Werks and Fat Cat also, oh V&H maybe, and get a proper tune for your driving style.

The difference between the pipes are not going to be felt in your rear end until you are well into displacement and cam changes. The tune will put life into the bike and improve street drivability, performance, mileage more than any pipe or AF. If you are a DYIer, look at the TTS kit. If not look for a good tuner (which may or may not be the dealer).

Gotta go, good luck sorting through all the info and advice here.
Coldcase, appreciate the info. More to it than I thought. Gonna have to take a few days to digest all this. Thanks again.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:07 AM
Sweetbaboo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bhidalgo
Several thousand huh!? Well, then I've got roughly 6,950 miles to go! Been raining ALOT this week here so I haven't been able to ride much. Rain don't really bug me, but the lightening sure does. Our afternoon thunderstorms here in Florida are really bad this time of year.
Thanks for the advice, especially on the air cleaner. Getting there slowly, but surely.
Yep, lightening gets my attention.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:10 AM
KAUFMANSM
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the Screaming Eagle slip on from new to about 700 miles, better than stock but not what i was looking for. Just put V&H sideshots and RSD air cleaner and a SERT, they really woke up the bike in performance and sound. Lots of $$ but worth it to me.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by ColdCase
You will get a difference of opinion here. It is not a simple trade off as you may think. You can get good sound with either method, that's your subjective judgement. Oh by the way, forget about achieving that old potato-potato lope sound, you need an old carb bike for that. Not going to happen with a modern bike. You can get louder, however.. you can get obnoxious too.. You can get better style one way or another, that's your subjective judgement.

First the HD exhaust in any configuration is too short to be very effective. When you make it louder you lose back pressure which can increase high rpm HP (if you also tune) but decreases low end torque and makes the exhaust susceptible to decel pops. The 2-1 full exhausts can be tuned to get some of that torque back, but they also have holes in the power curve, and don't max your high rpm HP.

Except for D&D, the full exhaust manufacture seem to pay little attention to proper O2 sensor placement (old school was to disconnect them anyway) so there is potential to mess with your street drivability or kill the closed loop capability (not recommended).

Currently, for near stock bikes, the best recommendation for street performance is to keep your HD head pipes, put some slip ons on that you like the sound. I know rush makes a quality product, I hear Krome Werks and Fat Cat also, oh V&H maybe, and get a proper tune for your driving style.

The difference between the pipes are not going to be felt in your rear end until you are well into displacement and cam changes. The tune will put life into the bike and improve street drivability, performance, mileage more than any pipe or AF. If you are a DYIer, look at the TTS kit. If not look for a good tuner (which may or may not be the dealer).

Gotta go, good luck sorting through all the info and advice here.
Good point! Nobody realizes this until after they install the 2-1 system...

I have slip-ons. If I was to do it all over again I would have purchased a complete 2-2 system just to clean up the look a bit. I think it would have been worth the extra money.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:47 PM
OldSalt
Road Captain

I was finally able to ride today, after almost a week of daily rain. Back and forth to work, about 70 miles RT total.
Bike sounded alot better than it did last week. When I get on the throttle it's like the mufflers open up. At 70 it definitely sounds better! Still not what I thought, but I'll give them some time to break them in, then see.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:17 AM
GoatFace
Advanced

One of the best performance upgrades you can do is a stage I w/ download. Should increase performance and mileage. That was the first step I did and would say that was more noticeable for performance. Added Rush slipons after for the sound.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:35 PM
denimbob08
Cruiser

i put python slip ons on my street bob love the sound. good and loud but no straight pipe bark while riding.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:48 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by GoatFace
One of the best performance upgrades you can do is a stage I w/ download. Should increase performance and mileage. That was the first step I did and would say that was more noticeable for performance. Added Rush slipons after for the sound.
For you new guys, the above is an opinion that many here don't share, look around a bit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Slip-ons vs Full Exhaust System